What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

I hope it was a tasty caramello! I dropped mine off at Eurotune today for an inspection so I know what needs the most attention. Either way its going to hurt I think.

That does not work for the rest of us, - you are getting hurt and no caramello Koala?  Not even a turkish delight?

That does not work for the rest of us, - you are getting hurt and no caramello Koala?  Not even a turkish delight?

I am hoping for a box of caramello's to ease the pain of the quote for repairs. I hate turkish delight and I hope the quote leaves a better taste in my mouth! Doubtful though :s

Well I decided it's probably about time to put some time into my 951. So I set about removing the hood so I can have it chemically stripped and then wrapped (its my fire damaged hood from 2003).   I also went about installing an engine bay fuel pressure gauge as they often prove very handy when diagnosing issues.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

k4.jpg

k5.jpg

Nice engine bay Kelly. What sway bar is it that you are using, as it looks like it would clear my AC lines ? I am guessing that is a LR fuel rail, not a CEP ? 

I like the new oil set up, makes more sense than having it behind you in the car

The strut brace is a Brey Krause item. It did clear the AC lines when I had AC in the car (old pic attached). You are correct it is a Lindsey Racing fuel rail.

To be honest I'd rather relocate the accusump to the passenger floor area with the battery & fire bottle, I'll save that project for when I've addressed the more urgent issues.

brace.jpg

Trouble starting on the SMT.

Got home,after 5 mins starter was out. Diagnosed as pinion runout not engaging.Will take back to the guy who overhauled it 10 months ago and see what he says. 

Thanks for posting Kelly,looks fantastic.

You have to love the balance of the 944 line which makes a great car to race.Would be interested in engine mods/specs ?

Cheers,Mark.

Hi all, Well it was a beautiful day in Central Gippsland yesterday, sunny and 18. Only 18 for about 3 minutes but 18 non the less. So, 911 warmed up and roof down. Off we go, went to about 3/4 throttle and nothing. Would not rev over 4000 rpm. I officially S@#T myself and all I could see was $ signs. Back home 6 minutes later and off to google.  The only change I made recently was the k&n filter.  So MAF sensor out and a squirt with good quality carby cleaner, fingers crossed and full power again. It appears that the oil from the filter coats and confuses the MAF sensor, so it will be K&N filter gone and an alternative sourced. Does anyone have a good non oil soaked after market filter they could suggest??  Thanks Steve 

Hi all, Well it was a beautiful day in Central Gippsland yesterday, sunny and 18. Only 18 for about 3 minutes but 18 non the less. So, 911 warmed up and roof down. Off we go, went to about 3/4 throttle and nothing. Would not rev over 4000 rpm. I officially S@#T myself and all I could see was $ signs. Back home 6 minutes later and off to google.  The only change I made recently was the k&n filter.  So MAF sensor out and a squirt with good quality carby cleaner, fingers crossed and full power again. It appears that the oil from the filter coats and confuses the MAF sensor, so it will K&N filter gone and an alternative sourced. Does anyone have a good non oil soaked after market filter they could suggest??  Thanks Steve 

Stick with the standard paper filter, there are no power gains with the oiled and you can damage your maf from over oiling filter.

There has been lengthy discussions on Rennlist about this and they all agree std paper is best.

JJ, thanks, i really like the stance of yours.. do you get many issues at the height youve got it at?

not now, when it was lower speed humps were a problem but since i raised it a touch all good :D

you learn to drive a very low car differently.

I went down to Eurotune this morning to see how things are going. I was expecting a heart attack worthy cost but not as bad as I thought. All 4 brake rotors are under minimum spec thickness by a few mm and new pads are needed, the steering rack is coming out for a full rebuild. Brake and clutch accumilator (?) Is being replaced and is the apparent source of my "not going into 1st and reverse when cold" issue. The engine does not need to be rebuilt to fix some oil leaks (yay!) and the pulley and belt for the air pump have been stripped completely. ( WTF does the air pump do?) So now I get to twiddle my thumbs for the next few weeks while it is all sorted. Im just happy i wont have an engine rebuild haunting my dreams at night.

that's good news - I think the air pump just cheats at emissions and is an EGR system (pump more air in so the outputs have less PPM of bad stuff)

wonder if it'll mess with your ECU too much to remove it (it's probably illegal though)

What's the toolbox used for , if not up fixin der Porsche?  :mellow:

I do as much as I can myself but some things are beyond my skill. The brakes I probably could have done myself but it would have taken me forever. My Harley on the other hand has been pulled apart and put back together a couple of times and tools come in handy for that :)