QuozL's IROC Evocation Build Thread

I've been asked to detail the next stage of my build so I thought I may as well recreate my build thread here from Pelican. I posted some of this info previously in the intro area so apologies for those who have seen the first part already.

This is mine but its definitely not stock nor one for the purists.

It's a 79 SC and it is a work in progress. I've had it since October 2011 and we've already done a lot of work to it from how I got it from the previous owner and it still has a long way to go until we're finished.

All work is done by Michael Harris at Promotive Engineering here in Brisbane and I can't thank him enough for his attention to detail as well as putting up with my OCD and crazy ideas / questions.

I would love to be able to do the work myself like some of the talented people on this forum and others but alas my skill set is severely lacking. While I can drive them and tell you how it's handling and what I need I can't work on them for the life of me. It's a labour of love and I scrimp and save every penny like most do to get the jobs done and to get to where I am today.

t0QZyck.jpg
79 SC IROC Evocation (Photo of the car from GT Porsche Magazine November 2009 Issue)

oCGOOrQ.jpg?1
Year 1979
Make Porsche
Model 911 SC - Widebody (IROC Evocation)
Colour Arrow Blue (factory delivered colour)

zd2WCTr.jpg?2
History

1979 911 SC 3.0 RHD Australian Delivered

1999 - 2000 Total bare shell rebuild
2002 - Purchased by previous owner
2006 - Steel wide body fitted by previous owner
2009 - Featured in November 2009 Edition of GT Porsche Magazine
2011 - Purchased by me and moved to its new home
Many upgrades undertaken since purchase some of which are listed below.

NpxEvFc.jpg
The pedal box, and Momo Prototipo wheel with custom quick release mount from Promotive.

GuMV7l4.jpg
Custom Tilton adjustable Pedal Box by Promotive and highlights of some of the interior trimming done by F&H Motor Trimmers here in Brisbane.

dxdyM1q.jpg
The custom Tilton pedal box along with the updated Rennshift shifter and more highlights of the trimming.

ZpvWWzv.jpg
Rollbar reconfigured to match B pillar angle, powder coated & shift linkage panel cover powder coated. All Interior trimming by F&H Motor Trimmers using Porsche Silverknit carpet in RS style.

CaFVDad.jpg
Some of the trimming work by F&H showing the seat belt covers he custom made and covered in leather.

vmWwRhi.jpg
Door cards and powder coated aluminium door locks. All the interior Rennline aluminium bits used to be brushed but I hate bling so had it all powder coated satin black. Radio & speakers are being deleted in this round of work.

Jx2pGTF.jpg?1
Momo Prototipo wheel with custom quick release mount from Promotive.

More Images and detail in following post.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Continued from previous post

7qyjcW8.jpg

New master cylinders mounted to powder coated blower motor cover. Also powder coated strut tower brace, smugglers box cover and powder coated odyssey battery mount.

ZDM7GB7.jpg

Close up of the master cylinder work. The clutch was changed from cable operated to hydraulically operated.

PuRbSdV.jpg

Odyssey battery mount powder coated.

GC2RMSJ.jpg

Overview of the work in the boot area.

nPqs2FP.jpg

The beautifully refurbished wheels with the work done by Melbourne Classic Road and Track. They are Fuchs RSR style replicas by Braid Wheels in 15 x 10 rear and 15 x 8 front wrapped with Michelin TB15 tyres. These wheels originally had all black centre's when I got the car.

RQqqY1y.jpg

Engine bay clean up and a few tweaks to the engine by Promotive. New hand built alternator from Geoff at K3.

xYLyJ82.jpg

Great shot of the arse end. The plates will change eventually I copied the previous owners NSW plates and regret the decision. The front and rear impact bumpers will go in favour of IROC replicas as will the rear reflector, a second deck lid for track days with an IROC tail, headers, IROC style exhaust and oil cooler to the front.

Dwz5sPU.jpg

The paint is in fairly good condition but the whole car will be taken back to metal and resprayed once the front and rear IROC bumpers and whale tail are fitted. There are some minor issues with the paint on the roof and a door that need attention.

32GSiiS.jpg

Small touches like the original AARC Drivers Club sticker are what drew me to the car initially.

Ojk3wgy.jpg?1

Denny Hulme's 74 911 IROC that I am loosely basing the car on in looks and performance. It will basically be the same other than no extra racing stickers.

Whats next

This isn't a car for the purist Porscheophile it is my interpretation of a 911 outlaw and it still has a long way to go. 

Next up is  a suspension upgrade and tweaking that I'll detail in the following post as well as some interior mods and a few other odds and ends.That will be followed by a Zuffenhaus RSR brake upgrade when the budget has recovered.

After that we'll be replacing the front and rear bumper bars with the IROC bars, an IROC whale tail for the track and a full respray and replacing the decals with Porsche script as per the IROC cars. An oil cooler in the front, headers and exhaust in the rear and black anodised flag mirrors to finish the look.

Finally the engine and trans will get a refresh once they need it with some extra displacement to make things a bit more interesting. There is only 20k on the car since a bare shell rebuild in 2000 so the motor is just run in :-)

Details

Current specifications

Year 1979
Make Porsche
Model 911 SC - Widebody (IROC Evocation)
Colour Arrow Blue (factory delivered colour)

History 

1979 911 SC 3.0 RHD Australian Delivered

1999 - 2000 Total bare shell rebuild

2002 - Purchased by previous owner

2006 - Steel wide body fitted by previous owner

2009 - Featured in November 2009 Edition of GT Porsche Magazine

2011 - Purchased by me and moved to its new home in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Many upgrades undertaken since purchase some of which are listed below.

Modifications

Exterior 

Steel Turbo Wide Body

Rear early model duck tail engine cover and spoiler

Wheels by Braid, 15 x 10 Rear and 15 x 8 Front
Refinished in RSR style By Melbourne Classic Road and Track

Interior 

Custom Tilton pedal box by Promotive Engineering with two mounting positions, stock and more towards the centre of the car to suit my seating position.

RS Door trims

Momo Prototipo Wheel

Etarga White LED Guage Bulbs.

Custom Rollbar

Powder coated all Rennline parts satin black (floor boards, shifter, linkage cover, door locks, hand brake cover)

Interior re-trimmed in Porsche Silverknit carpet in RS style by F&H Motor Trimmers Brisbane. 

Performance Upgrades 

RSR Style Double Gusseted Engine Mount Brace

Balanced Crank and Rods

Matched Pistons

Camshafts 993 Porsche Cup spec grind

K3 Alternator

5 Speed 915 Gearbox with Limited Slip Differential

Rennshift Performance Shifter

Battery mount with Odysessy battery and disconnect switch

Tilton Pedal Box - Customised by Promotive Engineering

Hydraulic Clutch Modification

All brake and hydraulic lines upgraded to braided

Suspension 

Brakes - calliper and brake upgrade in progress ordering Zuffenhaus RSR replica callipers and rotors

Bilstein Shock Absorbers - rebuild with upgraded valving in progress

Front negative camber kit

Turbo front sway bar - New through body swaybar kit being made bespoke by Promotive engineering

Monoball 3 point front cross brace.

Suspension bushes replaced 2006, currently all being repaced with new poly bronze

Wheels and Tires 

Braid replica RSR wheels - refurbished and refinished in RSR style by Melbourne Classic Road and Track
15 X 8 FRONTS & 15 X 10 REAR

Michelin TB 15 tyres

This post will detail the next round of upgrades / work on the car.

The to do list.

Suspension

Rebuild / re-valve and refinish Bilstein shocks by Murray Coote. Rears will be adjustable 

A-arms and all associated suspension parts bead blasted and powder coated / re-plated and finished to new condition

All suspension bushings replaced including the A arms, rear trailing arms, swaybars, spring plate and anything else I've missed, replaced with new poly bronze.

Torsion bars, front and rear torsion bars to match with RSR swaybars

New RSR adjustable through the body sway bar front and new RSR adjustable rear sway bar and associated parts,

Reconfigure front suspension track

New wheel bearings all corners

Change nuts to open titanium type.

I'm sure there's a tonne I've missed but I'll be getting pics of the tear down and upgrades / rebuild as the work progresses so I'll add any detail as it comes to hand.

Other odds n sods

Radio Delete: 

Delete radio, door speakers and associated wiring. 

Make radio delete plate in black anodised with engraved PORSCHE script.

Michael will be CNC machining this and anodising it in black. The pic below is from a user on Pelican who was nice enough to send me the dimensions and cnc drawings. The bottom plate was anodised black first then engraved but I will be going for all black that is engraved before anodising.

Radio+Plate+21371299746.jpg

Replace or Fabricate door cards with no speaker hole: Same full length ridged design as pictures on previous post. These will be fabricated by Steve at F&H Motor Trimmers.

New window winders

Fabrication or modification of the washer bottle and location.

Rebuilding / replacing the engine bay latching mechanism as the deck lid has been popping open and no amount of tweaking has fixed it.

Re polish fan and the fan housing

Regular service & oil change

Clutch adjustment / bleeding

Replacing Sparco steering wheel quick release with more robust solution.

Repainting the rear of all the wheels. There has been some rubbing with wheel weights that needs respraying.

That's about it for now but there is bound to be more that comes up as the job progresses.

I'll post pics of the tear down as soon as I have them.

Cheers Al

Wow, the quality of workmanship is all first class. Your trimmer has done a stunning job. The colour looks fantastic and that has to be my favourite 911 shape. I guess, due to my age, that was the 911 shape I fell in love with first and have lusted after ever since.

Al after seeing your car last week I was blown away by the attention to detail and just outright wow factor. Really looking forward to checking out your new mods when they are done. Great work mate!

They're fine, they build allot of WRC wheels so no issues that I'm aware of, not sure what you mean by hiding? It's not a track or tarmac rally car so just the odd hill climb day or track day once or twice a year for giggles. Mainly normal Sunday Morning Targa's  with the rest of the Bris aircooled guys and no problem with them.

They cost a bit to get refinished in RSR style by Melbourne Classic Road and Track so if I was to do some more serious events I've got a set of 16 original Fuch's as well I could use I guess, same as the ones in your pic I think.

Edit: BTW love your car

Cheers Al

Yes, by "hiding" I meant track etc.

I was now going to ask you about how your Michelin TB5s went on the track :)

When they get heat in them they stick like you know what to a blanket. When they're cold they're fun. Wet, dangerous. :lol:

Thanks Clutch-Monkey.

Am just multi-tasking and reading the Braid thread on the Bird. I think you pop up on that thread more than once.

The Au distributor is getting me a price delivered, but I think he quoted me the wrong offset for the 16x9 (-3 instead of 15).

Sorry Al, a great man once said a thread isn't a good thread until it's highjacked at least once :)

Righto, Michael doesn't waste any time, so a quick update.

The stereo speakers and associated wiring are out and I've taken the door cards to Lee Brothers in Brisbane as my regular trimmer Steve from F&H trimmers is OS until end of April. Warren was brilliant to deal with if a little rushed, man that place was flat stick at 6 am.

Anyway the door cards are being duplicated exactly as the pic below in leather as before just without the speaker holes. I haven't been able to find any like these ones anywhere else while looking online. They look like the stock ones but the ribs go all the way from top to bottom like no pocket was ever there so after exhausting my resources and searches it was just easier to get them made bespoke and Warren has the machine to do the dual stitching so they will be identical except nice and new and leathery smelling.  :huh:

vmWwRhi.jpg

Other than that the car has been up on the hoist with a thorough cleaning in preparation for removing all the suspension components.

No pics to post will put something up as they come to hand.

Cheers Al

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up the new bespoke leather door cards from Lee Brothers this morning, had them made to replace the old leather ones. We've decided to delete the stereo (never use it anyway) while the car is at Promotive for this stage of suspension upgrades so I got two new ones made without speaker holes, beautiful work, highly recommend them if in Brisbane Lee Brothers Motor Trimmers . 

Pics don't do them justice, but those who frequent the SMT's will get a chance to see them in the flesh when I get the car back. 

[imgur]http://imgur.com/a/QOVqP[/imgur]

If anyone in Brisbane needs a set of leather door cards with speaker holes my old ones are available, one door card will need replacing and the cover remounting as the board snapped when they were de-constructing it to use as a template. Prefer them to go to someone in Brisbane, don't really want the hassle of shipping, I like good scotch so make me an offer.

Cheers Al

Thanks mate

I wish I had the skills / confidence to do this stuff myself, I'd be too worried I'd stuff something up irrevocably and have to pay to replace it anyway. Alas I just save my pennies till I can afford each stage of the build and then let Michael work his brilliance on the car or someone like Lee Brothers on the interior. The worst part is thinking how long this is all going to take me to save up the dollars to get it exactly how I see it in my minds eye. I want it all done now!!  :lol:

Cheers Al

Archived