The great wheel dilemma

wilburforce

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have your lips been rolled yet? Is it something youd consider? 
Do you have Koni adjustable shocks? Can they be adjusted to the hardest setting? Might help with the squatting. 

Mechanic worried about rolling them because of strucural integrity.  The lip left is quite shallow so not enough meat on them.  Running torsion bars, not coilovers - so a more mechanical adjustment to get right.  I was surprised how much it squats.

Mechanic worried about rolling them because of strucural integrity.  The lip left is quite shallow so not enough meat on them.  Running torsion bars, not coilovers - so a more mechanical adjustment to get right.  I was surprised how much it squats.

I figured you had considered it with such an aggressive fitment. 

Ohh I was more so referring to the dampening adjustment on the Koni Shocks, but if they are the factory Bodge ones, then I dont believe they can be increased easily. 
Yeah swapping the torsion bars out would be the next step... but then youd probably want to consider a set of bilstein/koni shocks to match the higher "spring" rate.

• 2 months later...

After much ado and a lot of mucking around here we are.

Got ride height right after replacing the suspension - which was shot.  Bilstein HD's with 21/28 torsion bars, bushes, springplates, etc.  Happy with spacers and height, but still need to take a few mil off the back left spacer and/or inside of rear guard as there is a hint of rubbing at the limit.

mXbxrqz.jpg

iK5elDi.jpg

Thanks to whoever took these photos from the SMT guys!

Man! That looks excellent now! Much more period correct.

This might be a silly question, but how did you determine your shocks were shot? Ive always wondered this, aside from the obvious leaking... how does one tell?

I was surprised how much the car was squatting under acceleration, and when you leant on the over-riders the car was very very soft.  I suggest that's the easiest way to check. My mechanic showed me after how he could compress the shocks by hand - they were 38 years old! I'm only 36 and pretty soft already..

Archived