The Stereo thread - 987.1 Amp repair, Headunit swap etc

Bibbs

Hey Guys,

Might be good to know for anyone with a non-working stereo amplifier.

Over the weekend I was installing a Pioneer CapPlay headunit into the Boxster. After finishing up I noticed that the door bass speakers were not working (I put the lack of bass before the swap down to the poor stock headunit).

So I thought I'd have a look, before hitting up eBay or my warranty for a replacement.

987.645.331.01 Amp.

So I opened it up, that doesn't look good.

35250637293_e0cb8de6e9_n.jpg

That looks like one blown diode.

So I de-soldered it and went to the local electrinics store. A new 1N5404 diode was 35c, so I soldered a new one in, and now i have bass.

The new headunit (I've kept the old, as I know some people only like standard cars).

35888439002_3abb9da2f8_n.jpg

35219479674_650bb55a7b_n.jpg

So now I have SatNav, iPod/Android and phone conectivity with the options for front & rear cameras at a later date.

Edited by Bibbs
changed title / updated photos

It's an AVH-X8850BT.

I looked at the more expensive AVIC models (I've had them before), and thought I don't need the built in SatNav with out-of-date maps (and I heard Pioneer are scrapping this going forward anyhow).

I looked at the cheaper CarPlay only models (Alpine 007 or 107) and thought it was a bit too bare bones (no Android or iPod support, no DVD/SD card players).

Only issue is the old style touch screen (resistive vs capacitive), but it's not that bad to use and deals with reflections better. I also looked at Sony (smaller screen, volume button wrong side) Kenwood (not a fan) and Alpine (didn't have one with all the options i wanted)

I bought a cage and trim from the UK, a ISO-Pioneer wiring loom (get the right one, there are two) from SuperCheap, a Fakra adaptor from the local audio shop. As mine is non-Bose, it didn't need anything else.

Headunit - $700 (ebay)

Trim - $70 (ebay)

Wiring - $20 + $20 (local)

I then took the time to remove the old CD changer, and then fixed my amp.

Once a few other ebay purchases arrive, I'll be putting in the USB/Aux/HDMI ports into the central arm rest using a pair of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-KXHbwHz0P9UZEYbYg3

Edited by Bibbs

First post here, but have been lurking for a while. 

Acquired a 987.1 Boxster recently and have also been looking at this upgrade as it ticks all the boxes. First though, I have decided to explore upgrade options with the speakers, as the main CDR deck works fine.

Yesterday, I pulled the door speakers off as the LHS sounded very suspect. Found that the main driver cone had completely separated from the rubber gasket (called a suspension in some diagrams). Most of the internet searches suggests that the replacement speaker is a 6.5" which is a very common size and easy to find good replacements. It appears that in our car we have the "Plus" audio upgrade and the speakers are actually 19.5cm or just over 7.5".

So the problem arises as to what to replace it with as there are virtually no 7.5" drivers out there except possibly dedicated sub-woofers. The existing speaker looks more like a mid-range unit as the magnet is quite small in comparison to most sub-woofers.

Has anyone replaced these?

20170301_183752.jpg

It's an AVH-X8850BT.

I looked at the more expensive AVIC models (I've had them before), and thought I don't need the built in SatNav with out-of-date maps (and I heard Pioneer are scrapping this going forward anyhow).

I looked at the cheaper CarPlay only models (Alpine 007 or 107) and thought it was a bit too bare bones (no Android or iPod support, no DVD/SD card players).

Only issue is the old style touch screen (resistive vs capacitive), but it's not that bad to use and deals with reflections better. I also looked at Sony (smaller screen, volume button wrong side) Kenwood (not a fan) and Alpine (didn't have one with all the options i wanted)

I bought a cage and trim from the UK, a ISO-Pioneer wiring loom (get the right one, there are two) from SuperCheap, a Fakra adaptor from the local audio shop. As mine is non-Bose, it didn't need anything else.

Headunit - $700 (ebay)

Trim - $70 (ebay)

Wiring - $20 + $20 (local)

I then took the time to remove the old CD changer, and then fixed my amp.

Once a few other ebay purchases arrive, I'll be putting in the USB/Aux/HDMI ports into the central arm rest using a pair of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5-KXHbwHz0P9UZEYbYg3

Cheers - mine has the Bose option - would I need anything else that you know of? Also how did you get the Porsche Start up screen?

Cheers - mine has the Bose option - would I need anything else that you know of? Also how did you get the Porsche Start up screen?

For the Bose, you need a special connector (for the optical link) .. it's several hundred dollars. Or you have to bypass the lot and get a new amp too.

I've no affiliation with the link, and not done any research, but this could the bit you need (or similar). I think it replaces the $20 ISO connector in my post. Was the first hit on Google.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ctspo005

I deliberatly avoided a Bose system, after I'd read about it.

For the startup screen / background, Pioneer let you upload a pair of .jpg via SD card.

For the Bose, you need a special connector (for the optical link) .. it's several hundred dollars. Or you have to bypass the lot and get a new amp too.

I've no affiliation with the link, and not done any research, but this could the bit you need (or similar). I think it replaces the $20 ISO connector in my post. Was the first hit on Google.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ctspo005

I deliberatly avoided a Bose system, after I'd read about it.

For the startup screen / background, Pioneer let you upload a pair of .jpg via SD card.

Thanks mate, you've gone above and beyond!

Cheers

Thanks mate, you've gone above and beyond!

Cheers

Not a problem. I'd defo advise reading around, there are some great guides online too.

I looked at this one mainly :-

http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/electronics/p92-suncoast-porsche-pcm-2-1-install28cdr-24-radio-removal-29.html

Happy to help if you need anything further.

I also took the time to hard wire my radar detector into the new IGN wire, instead of running horrid cables from the 12 plugs.

Spent this week sewing new elastic straps into the roof, and now looking at internal/external lighting and wondering what LEDs are good enough.

• 1 month later...

So just to update this (and move my photos to Flikr after PhotoBucket had decided to be an arse).

New headunit :-

35921692461_0819238aff_n.jpg

I've also swapped the amp for a better one :-

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/amplifiers/pioneer/pioneer-gm-a3702-2-channel-bridgeable-amplifier/318026/

Pioneer GM-A3702 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier

Was cheap in the EOY sales. I created a wiring loom, and connected it to the stock plug, so there has been no modifications to the car itself.

It's mounted where the stock one was for the time being, but it'll get moved to the old CD changer loacation soon.

And the new ports in the passenger footwell. iPhone USB / 3.5mm Audio / Android USB / HDMI

35884041792_b1a9301231_n.jpg

So now it's time to have a look at the speakers. Digging about it looks like I'm after 6.5" for the door subs, and 4" for the mid range, 1" tweeters in the dash.

Also looking for a good reverse camera, that will sit with the number plate surround.

Edited by Bibbs

• 9 months later...

Just to bump this. 

This week I took delivery of a parcel shelf (UK ebay) and the speaker kit. Took an hour to remove the cubby holes and swap to speakers. 

Tonight I fitted the shelf back in and split the stock ISO connector into 2 plugs. 

20180514_181102

20180514_181107

The sound is now a lot fuller. Just waiting on some door adaptors so I can put in some big 6.5” speakers and 4” mids, hopefully next week. 

Love the speaker shelf. What a great idea!

In my old 996, I installed one of these for the reverse camera. Just measure yours and buy accordingly. (cleaner in my opinion)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Reverse-Camera-Trunk-Handle-For-VW-Skoda-Octavia-Superb-Combi-Roomster-Yeti/282885445561?hash=item41dd4957b9:g:E3oAAOSwuuRaqkUe

I will look into that. I've seen a few advertised as a direct fit on Ali Express for not-a-lot. 

Speaker adaptors arrived today. 

2018-05-15_08-02-45

From car-speaker-adaptors.com poor communication, but they have arrived and seem very good in build quality. Made from PVC, they'll last a lot longer than MDF in a moist door environment. 

So now a 6.5" speaker will fit, but it's trying to find how much depth I've got to play with. Looking at TS-M650PRO speakers to start. 

I did see those as an option. I'll admit, I didn't like the "water resistant pressed paper" option when compared with the Pioneers. 

How do they sound? Must be a big improvement on the stock speakers. 

I originally thought about the 8" Pioneer Subs that people have done, but also didn't want to cut any bodywork. On previous cars not a problem, but for this I'd like to keep it all reversible. 

They sound great and take plenty of power, but I do prefer the sound of the flat six ???

The paper cones on the old speakers had completely separated from the rims, which seems to be a common problem. Bought them from an audio company in Germany so about half the price you see them here. The mounting holes lined up with the plastic surround/mount that the standard speakers have with the doors.

Used Rockford Fosgate for the mid range  https://www.ryda.com.au/rockford-fosgate-prime-r14x2-4-car-speakers - they also mounted directly into existing holes. Note that I had the "sound-plus" system

Note speakers need to be 4ohm

The items I’m looking at are all 4 ohm, thanks for the heads up.

I think "Sound Plus" was standard on the "s", but I'm going to pull a door card off to check before I order parts. 

More photos to follow. 

• 1 month later...

Original Sub 

20180529_163015

Spacer mounted

20180529_163520

Test fit of the new 6.75" Sub

20180529_165645

Old (left) and New (right) - Quite a big magnet size difference.

20180529_163313

One mid fitted. They screw straight into the door card.

20180529_170452

Compared to the old.

20180529_163025

Again, Old (bottom) vs New (top)

20180529_165927

Used the std loom, twisted to test them first, and then tapped/soldered in the new wires in. Makes reversing it all back out easy.

Amplifier - GM-A3702
HeadUnit - AVH-X8850BT
6.75" door - TS-M650PRO
4" door - TS-D1002R
3.5" shelf (x4)- TS-A878

• 2 months later...

Now added a cheap reverse camera. 

Also added a PAC IR extender to allow me to use a remote on the right hand side of the steering wheel. 

Think that's it on the audio side of things for now. Got a few styling tweaks in the post. 

20180930_16190520180930_161951

12 minutes ago, Merv said:

Nice!

Thanks. Was about $30 from Ali Express .. and then $10 for a matching LED light for the other side plate light. 

The camera light is bright white, where the old bulbs are (compared) very yellow. So the lic plate is lit by two colours.

• 5 months later...

Glad I found this thread. 

Just acquired a 987.1 Boxster with basic audio.. My speakers have a "crackly" sound.. I'm suspecting the amplifier.. 

At first I thought it was a headunit issue, so got a cheap one in known working order.. but of course, it turns out they are set up to only work with 1 car..(it shows 'PROTECT' on the screen) so I didn't know how to get it to work with my car. I do have a Durametric cable, but in the software, I didn't see anything obvious about resetting or making it accept the audio unit.

It did however play for a while before locking itself off, and the sound was the same as my head unit.. so I doubt both head units are buggered.

Is the amp easy to locate?

Mike, you will probably find that the speaker cones have started to disintegrate. I would remove a door trim before going any further looking for an amp, that’s if it has one fitted. There was talk that speaker spacers were required when upgrading, but I found Pioneers that directly into the existing housing, my Boxster is a 2006.

cheers

@Mike D'Silva - welcome to the club :) 

I second what @WB997.2GTS suggests - more than likely the speaker cones have disintegrated - usually just the large mid-bass speakers in the doors.  Plenty of options to replace them - some more fiddly than others.   I went the fiddly path with bolt spacers and foam.  There are also plastic spacers and OEM replacement speakers that just bolt back in the original spots.

And definitely get yourself some trim removal tools ($15 kit from Repco/Supercheap/Jaycar).  Trust me - door trims are a PITA to remove without them.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, turns out it was my drivers.. removed them and replaced with a set of Polk 6.5. Sounds much much better!

Now, just have to figure out a cheap way, to plumb an audio input into it.. can it be 'spliced' into where the cd stacker goes into the head unit?

Cfu6nks.jpg