WTB 964 Targa

I have patiently been watching the cars for sale in all online marketplaces in Australia for the past 12 months, but have yet to see a 964 Targa come up for sale, so I am putting it out there, I would like to purchase a 964 Targa and if anyone has one they would like to sell, please PM me.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fingers crossed for you mate. I've seen some beautiful pics of 964 Targas (albeit from overseas). They're stunning.

964 Targa numbers globally were pretty low though so you might have more luck finding the Lost Ark. I wish you godspeed. 

No affiliation with this car or the seller. Just thought it might be of interest. Looks very clean. CA car.  Asking seems very reasonable @ US$40k. 

Copy below from Faceballs... 

$39,900 OBO
European Buyers Welcome
Watch Youtube Video Walkaround & Engine running Link below.

-Stunning Rare 1990 964 Targa. Regarded as the ultimate Targas- Porsche Produced very limited numbers of the 964 Targas-only 152 in 1990 about 700 Total through all production.

-Turbo Wide Body Steel conversion done professionally over 20 years ago when car was bought (Porsche also produced Factory limited 964s with the turbo look wide body) . Same owner since 1993 Always serviced locally in Orange, CA at a well known shop & the car is very well known there (only serious buyer will get all info since mechanics don't want 10 people calling them asking them about a car for sale)

-138k Miles however car looks & drives like a sub 50K car- meticulously maintained, Recent work includes New starter this year, Engine Reseal & New racing Head studs in 2014. Top end done at 107,000 Miles- Oil lines/cooler & clutch less than 15K miles ago.

-The car has Turbo wing on it, i have posted some pics with it without the wing so you see what it would look like, however the wing is back on & car will be sold with the turbo wing. (OEM Decklid maybe avail for sale if you don't like the wing)

*Exterior is 8/10 paint is flawless & smooth to the touch, no dents or dings, some rock ships on lower rocker panels on passenger side, little nicks on hood- just minor normal wear. Targa top was recently rebuilt by Dan at Cars inc (best in the businesss) few years ago so its like brand new. Cars stance is nice & aggressive w Brand new Cup 1 Wheels & tires (there is some rubbing in the front against the plastic inner liner so if you want to put smaller tires you can)

*Interior 9/10 The leather is still soft, always conditioned and sheep skin covers were protecting the seats (off now) All instruments working, White Gauge Background, clear buttons, nice aftermarket radio (dont have original) There is a small scratch on the passenger headrest, not noticeable. AC is ICE COLD.

*Mechanically 10/10 engine feels very strong, top & reseal done recently, G50 Trans shifts great in all gears. This is a very dry car, barley any oil drips, maybe one drop in garage after sitting 2-3 days. (have video of undercarriage & point to where any weeping is from)

Options:
Power mirrors, seats, windows, defrost, AC, etc.

Youtube Video Link: (Copy & Paste)
https://youtu.be/A3gM5gesYAg

*Overall this car is a head turner, and a rare model at that, Looks amazing, & runs even better. You would be hard pressed to find a 964 Targa with these looks & condition.

**Car is priced to sell* May consider reasonable offers close to asking price only. Thanks.

Clean Clear Carfax- No Accidents- Title in hand.

Post 89 cars still can't be imported, can they?

nope.  The new proposals don't appear to address the 25 year question, which is now 28 years and going up every year.

Givne the way it has gone, I see any likelihood of changes being extremely remote.  The new proposals are utter shite for anyone but Lindsay fox or similar.  Even then they don't address registration of lhd vehicles, even if they would theoretically allow their import.  A complete cave in by the government to the manufacturers, who are making out like bandits in some of the worst regulatory capture ever seen.

in 2019 the first lhd 964s will be theoretically allowed on Australian roads.  However they will still be virtually impossible to import.

Hi Coastr, the way I read the regulations is that from January 1st 2018 you can import a classic car that is 25 years old, so you can bring a car up until 1992, I am unsure of the rules on registering a LHD that is less that is 25 years old. Below is an excerpt from Press Release from the Minister of Infrastructure.

"Today, individuals can import a car or motorcycle under concessional arrangements if it was manufactured before 1 January 1989. Keeping this fixed date would have steadily reduced the scope for importing genuine classic cars into the future. 

The new rule will allow a vehicle which is at least 25 years old to be imported under these arrangements."

Is there anyone in Melbourne that can convert 964 to RHD? Based on the new rules it might be a goer - 

Hi Coastr, the way I read the regulations is that from January 1st 2018 you can import a classic car that is 25 years old, so you can bring a car up until 1992, I am unsure of the rules on registering a LHD that is less that is 25 years old. Below is an excerpt from Press Release from the Minister of Infrastructure.

"Today, individuals can import a car or motorcycle under concessional arrangements if it was manufactured before 1 January 1989. Keeping this fixed date would have steadily reduced the scope for importing genuine classic cars into the future. 

The new rule will allow a vehicle which is at least 25 years old to be imported under these arrangements."

Is there anyone in Melbourne that can convert 964 to RHD? Based on the new rules it might be a goer - 

great if true, but leaves the 5 year gap between import and registration for lhd.  But very good if true and it happens.  Tasmania, WA are fifteen years and NT has no limit on lhd.  The rest are thirty years.

if the rules are adopted 964 values will tumble as they flood in.

I have patiently been watching the cars for sale in all online marketplaces in Australia for the past 12 months, but have yet to see a 964 Targa come up for sale, so I am putting it out there, I would like to purchase a 964 Targa and if anyone has one they would like to sell, please PM me.

if you can import...

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/used-cars-for-sale/porsche/911/porsche-911-964-carrera-4-targa-19679911?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=aggregator&utm_campaign=consumer&utm_term=24583&utm_content=dealer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/292240899446?clk_rvr_id=1315482670480&vectorid=229508&lgeo=1&item=292240899446&rmvSB=true

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C912307

great if true, but leaves the 5 year gap between import and registration for lhd.  But very good if true and it happens.  Tasmania, WA are fifteen years and NT has no limit on lhd.  The rest are thirty years.

if the rules are adopted 964 values will tumble as they flood in.

I always thought Tas was 30 years like most of Aus, but as it turns out LHD in Tas is conditional, meaning that they consider each case individually and there is no is limit!?

Cars over 30 years fall under Special Interest rego, so they can comply under that. So basically anything goes here, as long as someone will approve it.... Who's willing to try it?? :)

I always thought Tas was 30 years like most of Aus, but as it turns out LHD in Tas is conditional, meaning that they consider each case individually and there is no is limit!?

Cars over 30 years fall under Special Interest rego, so they can comply under that. So basically anything goes here, as long as someone will approve it.... Who's willing to try it?? :)

wouldn't that mean having to live in Tasmania? No thanks...

I have contacted the dealer on EBay, still has the car, has anyone had a PPI done in the U.K.? Do they have rust issues normally? 

wow here is a topic we should cover!

JK check out the 'inport vs local' thread

spoiler : yes 

Oh- and the rule change is proposed, not law.  So don't buy anything just yet.

I have contacted the dealer on EBay, still has the car, has anyone had a PPI done in the U.K.? Do they have rust issues normally? 

Yes they all have RUST & in places you wouldnt believe. Also you cant trust any inspection.

My good friend in Melbourne sold a 964 Targa he had for 5+ years, about 3 years ago. So they are here - you have to be patient.

I recall seeing a 964 Targa on an Autohaus Hamilton post on FB.  Had a quick look but couldn't find it.  It was a customer car not for sale but might be worth a call to them - I suspect you'll have to hunt one down not wait for one to pop up on carsales.  That's the only one I can remember seeing in the last few years.  From memory it was a mid blue colour.

Yes they all have RUST & in places you wouldnt believe. Also you cant trust any inspection.

My good friend in Melbourne sold a 964 Targa he had for 5+ years, about 3 years ago. So they are here - you have to be patient.

So it looks like either find one here ( but they sound as rare as hens teeth) or import one from the USA and pay for conversion.......hmmmm, the one posted above by @ScottyP looks the money as I am after something I can hot rod without concern over losing originality etc.

No affiliation with this car or the seller. Just thought it might be of interest. Looks very clean. CA car.  Asking seems very reasonable @ US$40k. 

Copy below from Faceballs... 

$39,900 OBO
European Buyers Welcome
Watch Youtube Video Walkaround & Engine running Link below.

-Stunning Rare 1990 964 Targa. Regarded as the ultimate Targas- Porsche Produced very limited numbers of the 964 Targas-only 152 in 1990 about 700 Total through all production.

-Turbo Wide Body Steel conversion done professionally over 20 years ago when car was bought (Porsche also produced Factory limited 964s with the turbo look wide body) . Same owner since 1993 Always serviced locally in Orange, CA at a well known shop & the car is very well known there (only serious buyer will get all info since mechanics don't want 10 people calling them asking them about a car for sale)

-138k Miles however car looks & drives like a sub 50K car- meticulously maintained, Recent work includes New starter this year, Engine Reseal & New racing Head studs in 2014. Top end done at 107,000 Miles- Oil lines/cooler & clutch less than 15K miles ago.

-The car has Turbo wing on it, i have posted some pics with it without the wing so you see what it would look like, however the wing is back on & car will be sold with the turbo wing. (OEM Decklid maybe avail for sale if you don't like the wing)

*Exterior is 8/10 paint is flawless & smooth to the touch, no dents or dings, some rock ships on lower rocker panels on passenger side, little nicks on hood- just minor normal wear. Targa top was recently rebuilt by Dan at Cars inc (best in the businesss) few years ago so its like brand new. Cars stance is nice & aggressive w Brand new Cup 1 Wheels & tires (there is some rubbing in the front against the plastic inner liner so if you want to put smaller tires you can)

*Interior 9/10 The leather is still soft, always conditioned and sheep skin covers were protecting the seats (off now) All instruments working, White Gauge Background, clear buttons, nice aftermarket radio (dont have original) There is a small scratch on the passenger headrest, not noticeable. AC is ICE COLD.

*Mechanically 10/10 engine feels very strong, top & reseal done recently, G50 Trans shifts great in all gears. This is a very dry car, barley any oil drips, maybe one drop in garage after sitting 2-3 days. (have video of undercarriage & point to where any weeping is from)

Options:
Power mirrors, seats, windows, defrost, AC, etc.

Youtube Video Link: (Copy & Paste)
https://youtu.be/A3gM5gesYAg

*Overall this car is a head turner, and a rare model at that, Looks amazing, & runs even better. You would be hard pressed to find a 964 Targa with these looks & condition.

**Car is priced to sell* May consider reasonable offers close to asking price only. Thanks.

Clean Clear Carfax- No Accidents- Title in hand.

@ScottyP. can you send me the website details for this ad, I cant locate a website "Faceballs" with this car on it. - thanks.

So it looks like either find one here ( but they sound as rare as hens teeth) or import one from the USA and pay for conversion.......hmmmm, the one posted above by @ScottyP looks the money as I am after something I can hot rod without concern over losing originality etc.

@ScottyP. can you send me the website details for this ad, I cant locate a website "Faceballs" with this car on it. - thanks.

it's on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/porschemarketplace/

Archived