'86 944 Parts Required

SteveF

My 944 had it's first service since my purchase earlier in the year and thankfully got a glowing report however as with all old cars there are some preventative maintenance items that need doing. I am in the process of pricing a few parts and wanted to know if anyone had the following hidden away and are keen to sell:

94410612506 - Coolant expansion tank - as with many this has yellowed and cracked
95134102700 - Left front wishbone / control arm - my ball joint is on the way out but you need to purchase the entire item and not just the ball joint
99361522701 - DME relay - I still have the original one from new so don't want to tempt fate by not having a spare handy

I am also looking for a few other items including fuel hoses for the engine bay but will start with the above.

Please send me a message if you can assist.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Peter. Yes that one is a little eye watering but unfortunately necessary. The Design price is about $300 cheaper than what I have found elsewhere so thank you for the link.  It is a shame that you can't just purchase the ball joint part instead of the entire thing. Hopefully there will be one closer to home available from a generous PFA member :rolleyes:

Hi Peter. Yes that one is a little eye watering but unfortunately necessary. The Design price is about $300 cheaper than what I have found elsewhere so thank you for the link.  It is a shame that you can't just purchase the ball joint part instead of the entire thing. Hopefully there will be one closer to home available from a generous PFA member :rolleyes:

Steve after looking at that video i am pretty sure that one of my ball joints has been replaced, one has a grease nipple and one doesn't, i am sure i was told by someone that Buchanan's were replacing these, maybe they could do it if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

Ring Autohaus for the DME relay it's common to a couple of the 911's as well, also if it's not too fried inside you can re-solder all the joints and it will work again, trust me.

All control arms from the 85.5 cars and on were aluminium Timm not just the turbo.

aPorschaPart are ripoff artists...you'd probably be able to order from the US with express postage and still get stuff for cheaper.

And you could probably get a new part for the same as their used ....

I rang them once a couple of years ago ... it was the first and last time ...

Steve after looking at that video i am pretty sure that one of my ball joints has been replaced, one has a grease nipple and one doesn't, i am sure i was told by someone that Buchanan's were replacing these, maybe they could do it if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

Ring Autohaus for the DME relay it's common to a couple of the 911's as well, also if it's not too fried inside you can re-solder all the joints and it will work again, trust me.

All control arms from the 85.5 cars and on were aluminium Timm not just the turbo.

Thanks Tingy & Timm. I have double checked this and been advised that I need to get the whole part and can't just do the ball joint. I'll try and clarify as are getting mixed messages on this one.

AH can supply a relay so all good. My current one is fine so this is just a precautionary measure.

Going by your part number I'm assuming it's an '86 Turbo with the aluminum lower control arms? If so, then you can actually buy new ballpoints. I bought a pair from Paragon products to do mine last year.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Porsche-944-Ball-Joint-Rebuild-Kit-p/rb-944bjtrk.htm

Thanks Timm for the link. This is confusing because there is conflicting info on this. I'll do some more digging. I appreciate the info.

Thanks Tingy & Timm. I have double checked this and been advised that I need to get the whole part and can't just do the ball joint. I'll try and clarify as are getting mixed messages on this one.

AH can supply a relay so all good. My current one is fine so this is just a precautionary measure.

Thanks Timm for the link. This confusing because there is conflicting info on this. I'll do some more digging. I appreciate the info.

I did them myself on my 86 turbo so I can confirm they are definitely rebuildable. The only reason they might not be is if your control arm is cracked, or your balljoint has worn through the bushings and has started wearing away the walls of the balljoint 'hole'. Pelican parts has a great writeup of how it's done. 

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_944_Turbo/130-SUSPEN-Rennbay_Ball_Joint_Replacement/130-SUSPEN-Rennbay_Ball_Joint_Replacement.htm

I did them myself on my 86 turbo so I can confirm they are definitely rebuildable. The only reason they might not be is if your control arm is cracked, or your balljoint has worn through the bushings and has started wearing away the walls of the balljoint 'hole'. Pelican parts has a great writeup of how it's done. 

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche_944_Turbo/130-SUSPEN-Rennbay_Ball_Joint_Replacement/130-SUSPEN-Rennbay_Ball_Joint_Replacement.htm

Timm, i have also heard conflicting stories about these being re-buildable, was it really as easy as the video showed?

Timm, i have also heard conflicting stories about these being re-buildable, was it really as easy as the video showed?

I did the ball joints on both my 944Ts using the kits and - yes - it's not rocket science or brain surgery.  Good idea to do both sides though.  I'm reliably informed that 968 armas aren't rebuild-able - they don't have the machined groove for the retaining circlip that the 944 ones have.  And Steve, if your 944 has the oval dash, you'll have the alloy A-arms.

I did the ball joints on both my 944Ts using the kits and - yes - it's not rocket science or brain surgery.  Good idea to do both sides though.  I'm reliably informed that 968 armas aren't rebuild-able - they don't have the machined groove for the retaining circlip that the 944 ones have.  And Steve, if your 944 has the oval dash, you'll have the alloy A-arms.

Thanks Rob for the info. Yes it is an '86.

Thanks Timm. The only issue I have been told that may arise is if the existing rubber is in bad shape it may take quite a bit of time to remove. Regardless it may work out being a much better value option than purchasing a brand new one and give the same result. I appreciate the feedback gents and will let you know how I go.

• 2 weeks later...

It has also been recommended that I look at replacing the under bonnet fuel lines as the rubber has become hard over time which will potentially be a safety issue.  I have been pricing up all of the required original parts which is substantial. Whilst I’m happy to purchase them for the sake of safety, the look and originality I have found a number of 944 related kits such as:

https://944online.com/index.php/deluxe-stainless-steel-fuel-line-kit.html

Has anyone used a kit like this before and is it recommended or should I stick with original parts? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Steve

It has also been recommended that I look at replacing the under bonnet fuel lines as the rubber has become hard over time which will potentially be a safety issue.  I have been pricing up all of the required original parts which is substantial. Whilst I’m happy to purchase them for the sake of safety, the look and originality I have found a number of 944 related kits such as:

https://944online.com/index.php/deluxe-stainless-steel-fuel-line-kit.html

Has anyone used a kit like this before and is it recommended or should I stick with original parts? 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Steve

A car I looked at a couple of weeks ago still had the burn marks under the bonnet and on the rocker cover, with outside paint bubbled from a fire.  Was told that engine fires are "common"......  Seems this may be true

Peter in Tassie

A car I looked at a couple of weeks ago still had the burn marks under the bonnet and on the rocker cover, with outside paint bubbled from a fire.  Was told that engine fires are "common"......  Seems this may be true

Peter in Tassie

ask me how I know..... actually, don't  :(

IcGJddm.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

30 year old fuel lines replaced today along with new coolant tank and both front ball joints changed over with the kit mentioned above. Thanks to Sean & Bruce Buchanan for a fun morning talking Porsches and other things. Should be right for the next 30 years!

Archived