Topic: How to clean wheels during your maintenance wash.
1. Hose with a decent amount of pressure
2. A non-acidic wheel cleaner (eg Duragloss All Wheel Cleaner, Autoglym Acid Free Wheel Cleaner, P21S Wheel Cleaner, Wolf's Brake Duster)
3. SAFE Wheel brush (or perhaps a selection of them) and a spare Microfibre wash mitt (eg Daytona wheel brush, Vikan soft brush, Wheel Woolies)
4. Bucket of water (even warm-medium hot water if possible)
(If you want to clean your splash guards, then use a diluted multi-purpose cleaner)
Procedure (can be removed or still mounted to the vehicle):
1. After rinsing, take your dirty wheels and apply your favourite non-acidic wheel cleaner to the wheel. Make sure you include the tighter areas including in between spokes, inside the barrel, wheel nut areas and calipers.
2. Let the wheel cleaner sit for 2-3 of minutes. Some solutions turn red or change colour which means they are working in with the dirt. Others don't.
3. Use your safe soft bristled wheel brush. The Daytona Speed brush is fantastic because it has soft bristles and rubber parts so it will not mark or scratch your wheels. Get inside the spokes and in the barrel with the brush. Your brush should also be able to clean the calipers.
4. Use the microfibre mitt to clean the face and any other areas that you may have missed. This is where you can also use another sponge or brush to clean the splash guards.
5. Simply rinse off and dry the wheels. You may notice the surface rust on your rotors. The next drive should fix that problem.
- Let your brakes cool down before washing. You don't want to risk damaging your rotors
- If need be you can apply a light mist of spray wax on your wheels for that added shine and protection
- If your exhausts are dirty, use the wheel cleaner & wheel brush to freshen them up (doesn't apply for carbon fibre or ceramic exhaust tips)
- Frequent cleaning (once every week) will restrict heavy contamination
- If you end up sealing your wheels with a quality sealant, then use pH neutral car wash when cleaning your wheels
We've taken a few before, during and after photos of some of the wheels we've cleaned. No other magic tricks, just the same technique as discussed here.
Mercedes C63 Carlsson forged wheel:
E90 M3 18" wheel:
F25 X3 M Sport wheel:
F10 320d Luxury wheel:
BMW 1M Satin Black 19" wheel:
Ferrari F430 Scuderia exhaust tips:
Find loads more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.562802300407295.1073741836.280325515321643&type=3