Aged tyres

ANF

My point is we're all insured for fire, no matter (nationally) how rarely it occurs.  

My point is obviously Tasmanians are ignorant , stupid and poor. Our mining boom ended over 100 years ago and the forest industry is fked. But there are a lot of wealthy tradies thanks to the rampant architectural industry. But I digress...Climate change will swallow us all.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great info.  Maybe you could explain what a durometer does and how to use it effectively?

No problem, it consists of a small needle like protrusion under tension that presses into the surface of the rubber.  The more the needle presses into the rubber, the softer the compound.  There's a video here from Longacre that explains it, although aimed specifically at competition tyres, the theory is the same as those for the street.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64g4l2YIJWk

Are you a scientist? Do you understand the broad nature of the comment?

No, engineer :)    Yes.

I'm leery of "facts"

I've noticed.

Thanks for that. Mu manual has the first part but not the second part referencing 6 years.

Looks like you have down some tyre testing :) Is it worth getting one of those tester tings?

Apart from performing an X-ray to detect if there is anything damaged within the tyre structure itself or testing the tyre on the vehicle under identical conditions when new and as the tyre ages to determine any loss of grip throughout its life, I know of no other way to test for the deterioration of a tyre compound than testing it with a durometer.  Noting that the compound has usually aged well beyond its useful life before any visual evidence of deterioration can be detected.  The other way is just to change your tyres every 5-6 years and be done with it!

And what about suspension rubber? 5-6 years - or every 30 like most people seem to do? It's only handling after all :D

Rubber used in suspension such as a bush or a roll bar linkage doesn't suffer from heat cycling and sunlight exposure, both of which dramatically decrease life.  

Rubber used in suspension such as a bush or a roll bar linkage doesn't suffer from heat cycling and sunlight exposure, both of which dramatically decrease life.  

Hence my previous comments about Tassy cars ;)

But every old car I've pulled apart has shot suspension rubber - hard , worn and suffering the age/gravity dependent cold creep. 

People usually don't routinely replace what can't be seen or heard - because it's tends to be hard to get to , and expensive for someone else to fix.

Hence my previous comments about Tassy cars ;)

But every old car I've pulled apart has shot suspension rubber - hard , worn and suffering the age/gravity dependent cold creep. 

People usually don't routinely replace what can't be seen or heard - because it's tends to be hard to get to , and expensive for someone else to fix.

Well, things are strange in Tasmania :)

I've pulled some new tyres from a dark storage room that had been covered for 15 years, they felt like new!  But I still wouldn't use them, not for a safety related item.

Suspension bushes are often let go because of the gradual decline in the vehicles performance, it makes it difficult to quantify deterioration.  And for the reasons you detail above.

The reality is that many people just don't like spending money.

My point is obviously Tasmanians are ignorant , stupid and poor.

That's a bit silly.  I don't get taking the risk with well aged tyres, most of us certainly won't take the risk with potential fire,vehicular or residential, explaining my insurance reference. One emergency stop or slightly damp corner and your vintage tyres were not that much of a saving.  All a bit cavalier really. 

Obfuscate away.

Locked the wheels in a 40 zone as I spotted the speed hump bit late in the rain

car just ploughed along the ground until I let go of the brakes

wish the bloody car had abs as the angle wasn't exactly straight

got me thinking about how old the tyres were and sure enough they were past use by with no signs of cracking or aging or low tread. Actually cosmetically quite nice looking

i second replacing them if in doubt

My rears last 5-6 months :)

Always purchase tyres within 2-4yrs old age bracket . 

6 months.  Is that instigated by that  little hoon bastard from within whose liking a lowered ride height

My observation is that they are more than happy to pay for cosmetic items! But old wires & hidden rubber can wait until the next owner,  right?

Nothing like a bit of changed out rubber in the form of engine mounts and tranny mounts to tighten up that drivetrain that highlights a noticeable difference in getting rid of that drivetrain slop that you don't realize was pretty bad until after you spent not a large amount of coin to make the car more enjoyable to drive as you note  that is often foregone in preference to the must do cosmetic stone chips.

had a fair bit of trouble looking for suitable tyres so thought id share

if you have 16" fuchs likely you will need 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. Jax has them in Michelin Pilot Sport 3s for $145/$215. Going to give them a go.

Couldn't find the rosso / exalto / csc which are the N rated ones. Beaurepairs loves dunlops. Tyresales is random. Tirerack costs the same amount for shipping. Demontweeks doesn't have the right tyres. Tyrepower doesn't deal with conti or michelin. nothing on ebay except p7 tyres from sunshine. 

if you have 16" fuchs likely you will need 205/55/16 and 225/50/16. Jax has them in Michelin Pilot Sport 3s for $145/$215. Going to give them a go.

Couldn't find the rosso / exalto / csc which are the N rated ones. Beaurepairs loves dunlops. Tyresales is random. Tirerack costs the same amount for shipping. Demontweeks doesn't have the right tyres. Tyrepower doesn't deal with conti or michelin. nothing on ebay except p7 tyres from sunshine. 

what about tempe online

true

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/tyres?TyreWidth=225&TyreProfile=50&TyreDiameter=16

a lot are 'sold out'. prices are good

think they are NSW based whereas Im in VIC so frieght and fitting would negate and even out

might add that PCM is getting short staffed or very busy. Didn't return my calls. Wanted assistance with tyres. Maybe try doncaster?

Go the PS3s, they are a great tyre and will be my choice when I do replace mine.

Steve The Bridgestone RE003's get really good reviews and they look good 

Cheers Steve. Saves me looking around

Been trying to find Toyo's to suit 7's and 8's in Adelaide with no luck so far.  All I'm getting from the shops here is 'Maybe we can get them but will cost a lot in freight/no you can't buy them/they deleted that range/drop in and see us/ etc etc.

Will look at another brand of tyre I reckon

Genuine or did yon use the Volvo ones (or are they not suitable for the GTS?)

Gen you whine.  Mate, who sticks Volvo stuff in a beloved Porker, particularly a GTS?  #Whatsamaddawiffyou

Gen you whine.  Mate, who sticks Volvo stuff in a beloved Porker, particularly a GTS?  #Whatsamaddawiffyou

+1,  stick to genuine P parts.  That said, I'm going with a bit of a bitsa setup on my 996.   Eg Going back to your vintage (re 964) in terms of back to the future and going with 964RS  semi solid engine mounts, but forward looking in terms of going with 997 tranny mounts. 

Archived