Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the offer Jono. When I was in the States last March, I ordered and picked up a set of seats covers and pads from Autos International with the correct hound tooth inserts. Will be fitting them in the next few days

IMG_6573.jpg

Looks awesome! 

Hi Lee, they came with instructions which say boil them till 200F. I am gonna try whatever works

Haha, well there ya go! I would think warming them up would ofcourse make them more pliable, so that makes sense. I've done the freezer thing and its worked before, so if their recommendations don't work, go to plan B 

Back to some boring stuff, brakes

I pulled everything out

IMG_6823.jpg 

New stainless steel line was ordered. Will start making the new lines tomorrow

IMG_6835.jpg

And also a complete calipers and master cylinder kits from Big Redd in the UK

IMG_7008.jpg

Pistons don't have the provision for the pin. Will need to figure out whether to snap the pins and use the new pistons or keep the pins and use the old pistons

Old on the left, new on the right

IMG_6861.jpg

Some more pictures from the panel shop

Found a bit of rust in the right headlight bucket

IMG_6159.jpg

The panel shop ended up basically stripping the whole car except the driver's door. In hind side, I should've just blasted the car to start with. Would've been quicker and cheaper

Anyway, here are some more pictures before the spraying few weeks ago

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

Sharp eyed people would've noticed from previous pictures that the smugglers box was still a LHD box although the car was converted to RHD years ago. Bought a NOS firewall and other required parts from David Jenej. The whole this including the panel work cost a small fortune. Done now

IMG_6160.jpg

Got the last (for now) parts from the platters back. They did a good job except they did the brake brackets in gold zinc rather than blue zinc. Oh well, no big deal

Now I can start putting the suspension back onIMG_7248.jpg

IMG_7233.jpgWith the A rubbers, it wasn't too much of a hassle. Oiled the rubber inside and out

Then slipped it half way over the arm

IMG_7234.jpg

Then slipped the bracket over it half way as well

Then pressed it in. No boiling or freezing was required

IMG_7235.jpg

I decided not to pull the wiring loom off the car for two reasons

1) there wasn't that much welding to be done on the car that would require the loom to come out

2) didn't want to risk any damage to the loom pulling it off and pulling it back on again. It was iin good condition and fully functioning anyway

The one draw back here that I won't be able to get the area behind the dash cleaned and sprayed but that's a small price to pay considering it won't be seen anyway

So this week I moved the loom to the side, cleaned the area under the bonnet well and prep'd it for painting

Here is what I had before. It was red matching the rest of the car

IMG_6817.jpg

To get an even textured finish, I sprayed stone guard first. That sh!t goes everywhere. Sorry about the dark pictureIMG_7069.jpg

On Monday I applied the first coat of Tangerine. Still patch because the colour is so fine specially on black

IMG_7209.jpg

Few more coats plus 3 coats of clear and it looked much betterIMG_7230.jpg

Difficult to get a good picture presenting the colour well in the garage

IMG_7232.jpg

And left the vin number exposed but has the clear on it

IMG_7239.jpg

I will spend sometime on the weekend cleaning the loom and putting it back on

Archived