started by getting the headlights together again

IMG_7457.jpg

Fitting the new seal

IMG_7458.jpg

Had the ring rechromed few weeks ago

IMG_7459.jpg

Also fitted a new body to headlight seal in the process

IMG_7462.jpg

Not that I am about to start on the trimming but couldn't help myself get the Autos International box out and layout all the different parts

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7464.jpg

Got to the fuel tank today

Gave it a good wash and sanded off the areas where the paint is flaking

IMG_7500.jpg

Then sprayed it with stoneguard

IMG_7501.jpg

I also gave it an endoscopy with my cheap snake camera. I stuck it on a wire hanger and pushed it into the tank

IMG_7495.jpg

Check the video out, interesting. I swear there is a UFO sign in there!! At around the 1min 20sec mark

Apart from some minor surface rust, looks good

Chuck some apple cider vinegar into the tank for a week or so, that'll shift the surface rust and leave you with a shiny tank. Did it with mine, it shifted 20+ years of solidified fuel and rust.

• 2 weeks later...

Alloy trim. Have a look at MFX's recent post on his build thread. He has an ingenious Bunnings solution. From the looks of what you have already done should work out perfect.

Not sure if I posted it on my thread or another, but my plan is to just get some small aluminium angle from Bunnings and use a strip at the top and the bottom. It's not original, but it should only cost about $20. 

I considered that but the Bunnings ones are too big. I will have another look

I haven't looked recently, but I remember in the past they had some small stuff. I will be up to that stage soon and I will post my findings as well.

Bunnings sells small section sizes in aluminium eg 12mm x 12mm angle 3mm or 1.5mm thick also do 10mm flat bar in same thickness ..........

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?q=1m aluminium extrusions&redirectFrom=Any

Something like 12x12 in 3mm thickness would probably be spot on. I will have to get down there again soon to check it out.

12mm looks too wide compared to original. Needs to be about 5 or 6mm

Here's a 12mm. Looks ugly and wrong

IMG_7619.jpg

I was thinking more the other way. So you just see an edge from the front. It would not be clipped in as such, just framed in the aluminium.

finished off making the hard lines this morning then started on putting the front brakes together again. Second picture is poor quality but you get the idea

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7662.jpg

made a little jig out of the pedals to pop out the stuck pistons in the calipers. Managed to get all of them off except one rear

IMG_6857.jpg

IMG_6863.jpg

Also on the weekend I dismantled the master cylinder, honed it and fitted seals

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been reporting much because doing boring work like electrical so not too many happy snaps to post

Checked all the wiring then put a battery in it. As soon as I connect the +ve terminal, I get sparks and sizzling sound. Not good

Spent couple of days tracing the problem till I found it. The main cable to the starter had bad insulation through the firewall

IMG_7700.jpg

No further issues so far. She has a pulse now. First sign of life after nearly a decade off the road

IMG_7705.jpg

Archived