Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let us know how you go with those indicator seals in the guards I have read on a number of threads they are a real bastard to fit ...........:)

They are if you buy the cheap aftermarket ones (been there, done that)

• 1 month later...

I had a lot of pictures to share with you from the last few weeks but fn Windows 10 just deleted the entire folder. NFi how it happened, basically now you see it now you don't. Completely disappeared and nowhere to be seen. Not in the Trash. I even downloaded a recovery software and it still can't see anything. Un-fn-believable

Now the only pictures of the restoration I have are the ones I posted here in this thread

I am extremely pissed off. 100s of pictures just gone like that

I really suggest using Dropbox, one drive or gdrive for your photos.

the failure rate for disk storage is 100% - every disk eventually fails.

if you lose your local copy just go get your backed up version.

i have a local NAS box which is dual disk for redundancy, backed up to an external disk for 'run  and go' which is also backed up to Amazon.  Last year I had a failure on one of the disks from a power outage, and while I had that disk out another power outage and lost the other disk.  Over 15 years of photos documents etc.  all I did was buy new disks and hook it all up - downloaded the entire backup set from Amazon and good to go.

setting up Dropbox is less complicated and just as good.  For the very small cost it is worth it.

Yeah, I use dropbox but stupid me I didn't have the 911T folder sync'd. Anyway, back to it know

Let's get the bad bits out of the way first

Move right along, nothing to see here..............

IMG_8041.jpg

ok if you really twist my arm I will tell what happened

Took the left guard off to stone guard it. Which I did then had it on the bench with towels, sheets, etc under it to protect it till it dries

As I walked by, The sheet got caught in my foot and the guard slid to the ground from standing height. And I am just standing there looking at it in horror rock back and forth on the garage floor :(

Anyway luck it fell on the area where there was a small piece of carpet so the damage was limited to the paint chip you see in the picture above

Oh well, life is a bitch, so be it. Let's move on with the fix

Rubbed it back and touched it up once......

IMG_6230.jpg

Then couple of more times.....

IMG_6232.jpg

Then prep'd it for the clear coat with wet & dry paper...

IMG_6233.jpg

Then sprayed clear on it, no its hardly visible. Will do a closer inspection once I take the gar out of the garage in the sun

IMG_6236.jpg

If you recall, I posted a pic of the finished dash trim on the last page, see below.

IMG_7614.jpg

Well that was a complete waste of time. I used the same width as what was on the car already which was wrong. Clearly whoever trimmed the car previously took a short cut by eliminating the alloy edging and making the trim wider so when I put the edging on, nothing would fit in the dash

back to the drawing board and remade them all

IMG_6267.jpg

And now for a trial fit. Looking good

IMG_8019.jpg

Yes yes, I know its the wrong colour, I am not colour blind

But if you recall, that section of the dash was completely hacked to fit the graphic equalizer so there was no ash tray nor even a bracket to hold it in place. I reconstructed all that and now happy with alignment and fit. Need to find a black ash tray. Anyone has a spare or want to swap??

Sourced this Blaupunkt from the USA and tested it for the first time, fully functional so happy with that

IMG_8023.jpg

• Can you paint the ash tray or cover it in some material to match the pad ..........?

I would probably try dyeing it

Still working on the dash area. Decided to relocate the cig lighter to the glove box as well as add a USB charger.

IMG_8036.jpg

Gave the glovebox a lick of paint before fitting it

IMG_8050.jpg

Then wired both the cig lighter and USB on a fuseIMG_8054.jpg

Before fitting the heater control, I gave it a good clean. Also pulled all the cables off and oiled them

IMG_8058.jpg

Dash is now more or less done. Won't fit the top pad till I am done trimming the A pillars

Misplaced one of the radio knobs. Will find it eventually. Radio is also wired and fully functional now

Will now move to the engine bay and rear of the car

IMG_8060.jpg

The images just give the impression that the sound deadoning material  behind the shock towers is some how fire damage ,,and the fitment of the dual extinguisher may suggest a issue relating to this in the past..I am only basing my view on a mates 73 T coupe that had damage of this nature that was due to an engine bay fire at some stage in the cars life ........regardless it make no difference as you are no doubt going to strip it all back and clean it up ..........

No fire there Raven, that's the remains of the sound deadening pad. Most of it have pariched already except the part behind the vacuum tank. Check the box in the picture below

been scrapping & wire brushing 5h!t all morning. One side is completely stripped

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8081.jpg

After Half hour of elbow grease

IMG_8082.jpg

I am pretty sure the long nose cars had black engine bay not body colour, can someone confirm?

shame to cover it again with black deadner but will do if it was factory

Archived