Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raf, thanks for taking the time to share this project.  I'm enjoying the read and looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Agreed. I'm more of a reader and admirer rather than commenter, but we're all viewing and following along. Keep the updates coming. 

IMG_8222.jpg

Ready to be refitted but will wait till I receive the next shipment from Sierra Madre with the new rubbers

i am pretty much done with the engine bay and will move to rear lights etc

IMG_8221.jpg

New fuel line and hose. New speedo cable rubber

whats wrong with the picture below?

IMG_8219.jpg

Yep, you got it

some genius (must be the same person who hacked the dash to fit the equilizer) drilled those holes to access the starter motor

i will have to tidy them up and make a cover

here is what they look like from the inside

IMG_8218.jpg

Yep, you got it

some genius (must be the same person who hacked the dash to fit the equilizer) drilled those holes to access the starter motor

i will have to tidy them up and make a cover

here is what they look like from the inside

It is always interesting to do some archeology on these cars. So many people have touched them over the years, leaving their mark. Some worse (some a lot worse) than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts back from the platters already. Not bad, less than 4 days

IMG_8327.jpg

And also a big plug for Porsche Melbourne. They had all the parts I needed in stock and at a competitive price

In fact when you consider the exchange rate and shipping, Porsche Australia works our cheaper and genuine parts too

They even gave me a free book

IMG_8326.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

lots of boring work has been going on

Finished cleaning and sealing under the guards

Then refitted the oil tank with new seals and replated everything

IMG_8335.jpg

IMG_8338.jpg

Heater boxes are back in place too

IMG_8355.jpg

while I am in the engine bay, I thought I do the black lines while I'm at it

I start by getting the shape right with a wire hanger then cut the pipe to length

IMG_8349.jpg

then bend it to shape

IMG_8350.jpg

Trial fit. Too long

IMG_8351.jpg

Shortened it then fitted the ends and flared it

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

The most challenging one was the one across the tunnel

Anyway, the rear is now done. Two things left, fit new shockers and reconnect the lights and test

IMG_8359.jpg

Trial fit. Too long

IMG_8351.jpg

Shortened it then fitted the ends and flared it

IMG_8352.jpg

IMG_8353.jpg

The most challenging one was the one across the tunnel

Anyway, the rear is now done. Two things left, fit new shockers and reconnect the lights and test

IMG_8359.jpg

That is very interesting. I am looking at getting a brake line flaring tool and some lines and doing mine. Is there anything in particular I should look out for?

Definitely get a quality one not a cheap one. I tried the cheap one few years ago, wasted my money then ended up getting the more expensive one

So don't bother with this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Double-Flaring-Single-Flare-Tool-Kit-Fuel-Brake-Lines-3-16-1-2-T0255-/291916162524?hash=item43f78f25dc:g:DS8AAOSwCGVYB2yT

But spend $400 and get this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-Brake-Pipe-Line-Flaring-Tool-for-Stainless-Steel-plus-37-Degree-Kit-/252623218250?hash=item3ad184664a:g:z8MAAOSwo4pYHstS

Also I found stainless steel lines harder to deal with than aluminium (obviously) but with the T, I decided to go stainless steel anyway. Not 100% really sure of the long term difference between the two but my gut tells me stainless steel will out last the softer ali lines

Archived