Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

You are doing a great job on this and the 550 Spyder- time for a full-time career change? :)

would love to do restos full time, but for the time being, I enjoy my day job and it pays the bills nicely. Maybe when I get retrenched :)

I put the spring plates back this morning with new bushes, new bolts and replated bracjets

i sprayed a coat of clear on all suspension bolts to give them extra protection from the elements but yet keep the original finish

IMG_8370.jpg

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely get a quality one not a cheap one. I tried the cheap one few years ago, wasted my money then ended up getting the more expensive one

So don't bother with this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Double-Flaring-Single-Flare-Tool-Kit-Fuel-Brake-Lines-3-16-1-2-T0255-/291916162524?hash=item43f78f25dc:g:DS8AAOSwCGVYB2yT

But spend $400 and get this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Professional-Brake-Pipe-Line-Flaring-Tool-for-Stainless-Steel-plus-37-Degree-Kit-/252623218250?hash=item3ad184664a:g:z8MAAOSwo4pYHstS

Also I found stainless steel lines harder to deal with than aluminium (obviously) but with the T, I decided to go stainless steel anyway. Not 100% really sure of the long term difference between the two but my gut tells me stainless steel will out last the softer ali lines

That is great advice. The only issue is I am not sure my budget can justify $400 on something I may only use once.... It looks like the biggest difference is that the Pro one holds everything tight and square? I think I need to do some more research.

That is great advice. The only issue is I am not sure my budget can justify $400 on something I may only use once.... It looks like the biggest difference is that the Pro one holds everything tight and square? I think I need to do some more research.

you can borrow mine Mate, I don't use it everyday. Its heavy though, so shipping would probably cost $50 each way or so

you can borrow mine Mate, I don't use it everyday. Its heavy though, so shipping would probably cost $50 each way or so

Thanks. I have been looking into it further, and I think, considering it is a one off, I might try to make up coat hanger type prototypes like you did and take them in to Pirtek and see if they can make them up the length I need. It may be a better solution for what I am looking at, as I only need to connect the existing lines into the new master cylinders. I probably only need 2 lines 30cm long. Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread ;) 

Gee, a whole 2 hours and no one jumped in to tell me it's a stupid idea????? 

I remember when I was about 17, I spent a couple of hours detailing my KX125. Oiled up everything, including the brake disks. As soon as I was finished, I got on it and took off flat out down the driveway which was about 100m long. I went for the brakes at the bottom and had that 'oh shit' moment. Somehow I managed to slalom between two offset gateways by the skin of my teeth. I never did that again ;) 

No biggy, though masking tape can be a bastard to remove after long periods. Left my 912 rotors all taped up for a month or 3 after painting, and it leaves a gummy film on them. I'd just wrap them up in clean rags and store them away in a drawer or cabinet

I don't actually see a problem with putting oil on them until you are ready to use them. Just make sure they are throughly cleaned before they go back on.

Archived