[VIC] PFA Track Day 2017 - 12.02.2017

Orlando

Thanks for being awesome everyone !

From our point of view you Guys were absolutely fantastic to work with.

Our philosophy on track days is that they should be FUN, I saw lots of happy faces on Sunday - that's what it's all about. 

Thanks so much to Kerry, Hugh, Orlando, and everyone else from PFA who did so much work to put the day together.

Our old Nissan ride car went through 2.5 tanks of fuel for the day, lots of fun.

We would love to steal some pics and vids for our FB page if that's possible.

Thanks again Guys !

Couple track day questions for the regulars;

How do you manage tyre wear over the life of your tyres? The right side copped a hiding on Sunday so to me it makes sense to switch them over to the left if the next track is also anti-clockwise. Or does it all even out over a year if you do say Sandown, Philip Island and Winton?

Any good track day apps worth getting?

Track only sets of wheels/tyres help.  Also my wife is happy with my Porsche thing as long as, I just divide every $ by 2 before telling her.

@D911SC what camera/app setup are you running here? Looks great!

I use Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone.  The phone is mounted to a RAM holder via a suction cup on the windscreen.  The camera on the phone is the front facing one which points at the driver/passenger.  The camera pointing forward is a GoPro Hero4. 

The software controls the GoPro and also has a function to combine it all together into a 'lap by lap' video (as per what I posted).  The lap timing is automatic, based on GPS data so you just start it once and let it run.  The telemetry comes from the phone but can be upgraded with external devices if you really wanted it to.  If you want a longer combined video (ie. more than one lap) it can be done but a bit more of a manual process.

It took a bit of time to figure it out but once sorted it's pretty easy.

Thanks for being awesome everyone !

From our point of view you Guys were absolutely fantastic to work with.

Our philosophy on track days is that they should be FUN, I saw lots of happy faces on Sunday - that's what it's all about. 

Thanks so much to Kerry, Hugh, Orlando, and everyone else from PFA who did so much work to put the day together.

Our old Nissan ride car went through 2.5 tanks of fuel for the day, lots of fun.

We would love to steal some pics and vids for our FB page if that's possible.

Thanks again Guys !

Send me your email Kev I have a few shots of that lunatic SX:P

Love it!  I managed to convince my wife to come for 2 laps in the passenger session.  The look on her face in the video is priceless.  I drove very conservatively but she was still pretty scared.  In the end she had a bit of a laugh but promised she would never do it again!

I dare not take my missus on the track, as all she would say is ' Is that all you got? Give me a go!' 

Then promptly crash the car. Lunatic

Any good track day apps worth getting?

Harry's Lap Timer, cost a measly $15, I use it on an iPhone in a holder fixed to the cage.  Looks like a couple of PFAers are using it.  Really simple to use.  Automatically overlays Telemetry with speed, lap time, G force etc.  easy to dump laps to YouTube.  Example below.

Porsche Bogan lol

No Porsche at the moment.  I've "upgraded" to a fully bogan Mazda rotary Bridgeport turbo.  Sound and appearance certainly scream BOGAN.  But It's faster than the GT2 and cost 8% of the price.  The supercar set soon find some respect for the old girl when I drive past them. ??

https://youtu.be/m0aMO6JMnZo

Edited by DJM

.  I've "upgraded" to a fully bogan Mazda rotary Bridgeport turbo. 

https://youtu.be/m0aMO6JMnZo

Madman :) 

Now (after the track day) I can appreciate the speeds that you are doing in the video. That blow off does sound very cool btw. There is a forum member building an rx3 off memory - cant find the thread to paste but can clearly recall that the turbo he has wacked in it is very serious indeed. 

Edited by Macca

Chris, to have an appreciative passenger, a very happy and supportive wife, not to mention a super enthused 4 year old all in one pic makes it special.  These are the memories you carry forever.

Love it, so true..............

There were some great pics on Erlstone's blog, these were 2 of my favourites;

My twin boys knocking back a can whilst checking out the cup cars

pits_kids_zpsnwedkjft.jpg

Archie being himself with Vic & Angus, Harry just makes it into the right of the shot (near the food as always)

competitors_lunch_zpsoqoaw60p.jpg

Being able to spend days like Sunday involved with the family is a real treat, the kids feel the excitement of the big kids too! 

MrsMcRev piked this time round, but says she's in next time.

Being a claustrophobic she was concerned about helmets but tried on one of the track loaner helmets and felt much better than mine. 

Fortunately I've corrupted our 2 boys and they are well and truly car-mad.  She doesn't stand a chance in this household!

I purposely didn't put anything about her out with the boys to avoid comments like this.......Keep up the good work brother :lol:

Mate all respectfull stuff .. just corners and straight bits .. rubber , oil and going hard at it for a session…  some people just have weird minds what can I say. 

I use Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone.  The phone is mounted to a RAM holder via a suction cup on the windscreen.  The camera on the phone is the front facing one which points at the driver/passenger.  The camera pointing forward is a GoPro Hero4. 

The software controls the GoPro and also has a function to combine it all together into a 'lap by lap' video (as per what I posted).  The lap timing is automatic, based on GPS data so you just start it once and let it run.  The telemetry comes from the phone but can be upgraded with external devices if you really wanted it to.  If you want a longer combined video (ie. more than one lap) it can be done but a bit more of a manual process.

It took a bit of time to figure it out but once sorted it's pretty easy.

Is the  RAM holder that superior for vibrations.. my iPhone vid was so crap I couldn't watch it in my car..  but that was with a $50 mount for a sumsung from JB hifi??

RAM MOUNT Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip RAP-B-166-2-UN7U

Is this it?

I use that mount but with the form fitted iPhone holder.  This is the part that attached to the suction cup assembly: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP18U

When facing forwards I find the video from the phone has too much vibration.  Facing backward it seems to be OK, also because it's only doing picture in picture.  The GoPro is hard mounted to the roll cage and is very stable.

If I was only going to use the phone camera and wanted footage facing forwards I would go for a 'hard mount'.  The RAM has got a bit of play in it, largely from the rubber suction mounting setup.

I like the configuration I have though because you can view lap times /splits while you are driving.  I would argue thought that I don't really need reminding how slow I am!

I use that mount but with the form fitted iPhone holder.  This is the part that attached to the suction cup assembly: https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-AP18U

When facing forwards I find the video from the phone has too much vibration.  Facing backward it seems to be OK, also because it's only doing picture in picture.  The GoPro is hard mounted to the roll cage and is very stable.

If I was only going to use the phone camera and wanted footage facing forwards I would go for a 'hard mount'.  The RAM has got a bit of play in it, largely from the rubber suction mounting setup.

I like the configuration I have though because you can view lap times /splits while you are driving.  I would argue thought that I don't really need reminding how slow I am!

You look blindingly stylish to me ;)  The man driving the weapon of much discussion .. thanks

This post is a bit belated as its been a pretty hectic week for me, but thanks again to all the organisers, volunteers, photographers, driver dynamics and attendees. It is definitely up there as one of the better track days I've ever attended with tonnes of space on track during the session.

One of my mates attended and took a few shots, here's his gallery http://imgur.com/a/vnSbg

This post is a bit belated as its been a pretty hectic week for me, but thanks again to all the organisers, volunteers, photographers, driver dynamics and attendees. It is definitely up there as one of the better track days I've ever attended with tonnes of space on track during the session.

One of my mates attended and took a few shots, here's his gallery http://imgur.com/a/vnSbg

great shots