[VIC] PFA Track Day 2017 - 12.02.2017

Orlando

According to Driver Dynamics terms and conditions page (which I have obviously read!) states "PLEASE DO NOT BRING SPECTATORS WITH YOU AS THEY WILL BE REFUSED ENTRY" and "PLEASE DO NOT ASK US FOR EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, AS REFUSAL OFTEN OFFENDS"

So did PFA manage to get an exception to the T&C's?

We are hiring the track/venue for an exclusive PFA event and have certain concessions as a result (providing everyone behaves accordingly ;))

I'd say not much, as most insurances don't cover track use or bodily injury. People have tried and failed miserably to claim property and physical damage before whilst at a track day.

As much as I'd love to, that is the reason I can't take my car on a trackday, as I can't afford to bin it, or blow it up

Hey guys,   I'm finding it very difficult to get coverage for any track days.  Does anyone actually drive a 1,2,3,$400K+ car on the track without insurance?  The reason I bought a new GT car was to do these days, now finding no Insurer will cover me for it.    Any threads on here you can point me to where this is discussed (sorry, tried searching but just met with irrelevant results)

Hey guys,   I'm finding it very difficult to get coverage for any track days.  Does anyone actually drive a 1,2,3,$400K+ car on the track without insurance?  The reason I bought a new GT car was to do these days, now finding no Insurer will cover me for it.    Any threads on here you can point me to where this is discussed (sorry, tried searching but just met with irrelevant results)

Give Ben at Famous a ring

Terry458, Farmous will insurer a car on the track for as little as $100 per time, however the payout is limited to $10K. 

Also not sure if this applies to you, I don't think they insurer Italian cars?

Terry458, Farmous will insurer a car on the track for as little as $100 per time, however the payout is limited to $10K. 

Also not sure if this applies to you, I don't think they insurer Italian cars?

Thanks heaps for the heads up on Insurance guys.   @Troy997.1 I was referring to a GT4 I own - would love to come out with you boys and hit the track.  Worried that Famous $10k limit might only buy me half a headlight if a bingle takes place :o 

Have you ever done any events like this Terry? It would definitely be worth you dropping in to see how days like these are run as I believe you will get a level of re-assurance, especially knowing that it is exclusively PFA members and most of us are pretty good folk ;). Whilst you are driving on a track, the day is focused on tuition as opposed to lap times as there will be no timing allowed on the day - much more a day for learning and social Porscha banter than risking life and limb for sheep stations. 

Yeh right the snobby Porsche owners would get upset!  :P:P:P

I'm just joking people, dont get upset with me!

go rock the boat!

Have you ever done any events like this Terry? It would definitely be worth you dropping in to see how days like these are run as I believe you will get a level of re-assurance, especially knowing that it is exclusively PFA members and most of us are pretty good folk ;). Whilst you are driving on a track, the day is focused on tuition as opposed to lap times as there will be no timing allowed on the day - much more a day for learning and social Porscha banter than risking life and limb for sheep stations. 

In interested in insurance too. what do people do?

In interested in insurance too. what do people do?

I cant speak for others. I personally I accept that there is no insurance whilst on track and drive/behave accordingly. If your not comfortable to drive on track without insurance then don't.

I have no idea what the rules are on these days, however on the track days I did / used to assist on back in the UK there were specific overtaking rules (on the left and on the straights only, by consent) and etiquette, ignore those and it was black flag time. I probably did 70+ days in all of those only saw car to car contact on a couple of them when numpties ignored the overtaking rule and did it under brakes into a corner, t-boning the other car. Saw many cars crash through over exuberance or driving beyond their limits though. I tried to keep the driving beyond my limits to airfields where the run offs were much bigger!!

Drive within your limits and try not to follow someone else if they're heading off the track. I haven't been on track for so long and never in a car with its engine in its arse, so I'll be driving miss daisy for most of the day. That's also my risk mitigation strategy for the lack of insurance. Back in the UK you could get body shell insurance, but not mechanical insurance. Pretty cheap as well.

Edited by Mike-S

Will be my first track day. Really looking forward to giving the car a good squirt without worrying about losing my licence. Having a chat with fellow members and drooling over their cars. I will not push hard (i dont even know where or what my limit would be) and most definitely wont get anywhere near the cars limit. Hoping to learn the cars character better in turns and at speed. Anxious and excited. What am worried about is being either overtaken consistently or holding up the group behind me, or even worse my car breaking down and putting an end to my fun. It seems everyone here are out to do the same - enjoy the car that they have. Will be a good day -rain, hail or shine.

I cant speak for others. I personally I accept that there is no insurance whilst on track and drive/behave accordingly. If your not comfortable to drive on track without insurance then don't.

I hear ya, but if there's an option out there it's worth exploring.

What am worried about is being either overtaken consistently or holding up the group behind me

No need to be concerned about this, there will be very limited numbers of people out on track at any one time and there is plenty of room if others need to get passed. As mentioned previously, there will be extensive drivers briefing explaining how to conduct yourself out on the circuit + we will also have experienced drivers offering in-car tuition. Depending on what you want to achieve from the day they are also happy to take the wheel if your curious about the cars capability but don't want/feel comfortable in exploring it yourself. 

We are all in the same boat and I'm sure will be looking after one another. Its shaping up to be a great day!

Will be my first track day. Really looking forward to giving the car a good squirt without worrying about losing my licence. Having a chat with fellow members and drooling over their cars. I will not push hard (i dont even know where or what my limit would be) and most definitely wont get anywhere near the cars limit. Hoping to learn the cars character better in turns and at speed. Anxious and excited. What am worried about is being either overtaken consistently or holding up the group behind me, or even worse my car breaking down and putting an end to my fun. It seems everyone here are out to do the same - enjoy the car that they have. Will be a good day -rain, hail or shine.

@Macca, There nothing wrong with getting passed, happens to me all the time. Just keep a spare eye on your minors. 

Edited by Troy997.1

If I can offer some feedback on this.  We will be grouped so if you're unlikely to have cars around you that are significantly faster or slower.  There are however some speed differentials but as long as you're vigilant, follow the instructions of the DD guys, there will be no issues.  There will be no contested corners, so essentially passing happens on the straight and it's usually fairly clear who's got the legs on the straight, so it works its self out (we'll be told how to communicate how to pass each other).  Where it can go wrong is when male egos get involved and 2 people want to start a pissing contest (e.g. outbraking each other into a turn).  But remember it takes 2, so if you 'give in' the problem should resolve it's self and you won't be the wanker in pit lane after you come in.

We all get 'nervous' no matter how much experience you have.  When you're in the car, helmet on, and you've pulled down on your harness straps your heart rate is elevated and you're senses heightened and you feel ready for a challenge.  It's why we do it.

Just prepare you car and listen to the DD guys and drive within your limits and those of your car and you'll be fine.  Also just ease into the day.  Take it easy on the early laps, take the pressure off yourself to 'perform' and you'll find you improve quite a lot and you'll enjoy yourself while you do so. 

These days are as 'noob friendly as they get so it's the perfect entry point for getting onto the track.

Thanks PorkChops, I've been waiting for a spare few minutes to write exactly that post!

Ditto on all the above, we are all totally freaked out before our first trackday, and then continue to be semi-freaked (declining only slightly) with each subsequent day on the track. Its actually a big part of what makes it a great buzz and also apprehension is what keeps us safe. This trackday will perform several functions, not only an opportunity for those with CUPCARS to impress us all, and a family focused opportunity for inclusion, but significantly it will offer a friendly opportunity to those who have thought about tracking their beloved, but wanted a secure, safe, controlled environment with which to test the waters... (its like a HOT bath - a bit of anxiety getting in, but once in, you don't want to get out!).

The PFA will be organising a car scrutineering session where you can confirm with us your perceived place in the mix of drivers (the reason for our early, early start), before the Driver Dynamics crew take over and deliver their driver briefing and group walk of the track. Mike737 will be overseeing the groups and will be especially sensitive to newcomers, and those with little if any experience (also any female drivers who might be interested in driving in a testosterone-free-zone!). 

If you missed it, there is going to be a pre-event event at a local workshop NINEAUTO which will run through any and all preparations for your car in the weeks before 12.02.16, and on the day they will be setting up a mini garage for ongoing advice and inspection of cars should you feel you need a 'check-up'. There will be loads of DD instructors who can sit in the passenger seat for every single lap if you'd prefer. You'll be in very good hands all day, predominantly your own!

Kerry

These days can be a lot of fun and you can learn a lot. But they can also be very frustrating.

If you have a car that does not have a lot of horsepower but corners well and you drive it well and can lap Sandown in say 1 min 30sec you often encounter faster cars that lap slower than you. You will be all over them in the corners but not allowed to pass due to the day’s rules, but when you hit the straights - whoosh – off rips the GT3 (or whatever) and gaps you. Then at the 100metre braking marking you‘re all over them again and can’t go past. You laps times drop to 1.35 or more and it’s no longer fun.

So even if you have a faster car, watch your mirrors, concede a corner or two and make way for the guys who are genuinely quicker. That way everybody has a good day.

Yes plenty of us do its just the risk we take... drive within your limits & the cars limits 

Yeah totally agree. But I'm more so concerned about certain other drivers not knowing their own limits, and chasing cars with higher cornering/braking capabilities than their own.  Too many close calls in the past to risk a brand new Porsche - but reading all the responses above gives me huge confidence.  Would love to be there!

I'm going to call every broker and insurer in town - will post the solution if I find it.

Yeah fair enough, I can take it easy myself, I just need to trust that others will too.   I've done a few days and had a few spooky moments, unfortunately due to other drivers, but these days were not policed diligently enough.  I'm sure it would be fine out with the PFA crew though, sounds like a legendary bunch!

Edited by Terry458

Can I remind everyone that this will function as a DRIVER INSTRUCTION DAY for those with little or no experience. Those with bags of experience will be left to their own devices (and this will be assessed by passengered laps with DD team or otherwise by proven trackday experience), for the rest of us who want a safe, informative, challenging but overwhelmingly enjoyable experience, we will be in the care of those that do this EVERYDAY.

RE: Insurance... I hope things have changed out there now Terry458, however I think this is a question asked by many, and never a satisfactory answer is replied. Bottomline: now, as has always been... if you bend it, you mend it. Having said that, drivers with little or no track experience will NOT be let loose to crash their cars into whatever/whomever they like, willy-nilly! This ain't dodge-ems!

Perspective please! :blink::rolleyes:B)

These days can be a lot of fun and you can learn a lot. But they can also be very frustrating.

If you have a car that does not have a lot of horsepower but corners well and you drive it well and can lap Sandown in say 1 min 30sec you often encounter faster cars that lap slower than you. You will be all over them in the corners but not allowed to pass due to the day’s rules, but when you hit the straights - whoosh – off rips the GT3 (or whatever) and gaps you. Then at the 100metre braking marking you‘re all over them again and can’t go past. You laps times drop to 1.35 or more and it’s no longer fun.

So even if you have a faster car, watch your mirrors, concede a corner or two and make way for the guys who are genuinely quicker. That way everybody has a good day.

I've had exactly this situation at Silverstone, I had a track toy 130hp Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9, the proverbial 'disposable in the armco' car but a hoot to drive and very capable in the corners. I spent 5 laps behind of all things, a 911, who buggered off at great speed down the hanger straight every lap, only for me to catch him up 3 corners later as he was braking so much earlier than I needed to and I could carry much more speed through the corners. Every straighter section of the circuit he pulled away just enough to stop me from going past and wouldn't pull over. My frustration was reaching red mist levels, so after 5 laps I did a drive through of the pits to give me some space. Interestingly that coincided with my friends running the trackday black flagging said 911, as they were watching on the circuit CCTV and don't tolerate that sort of thing going on :lol:

Theres no shame in letting someone past, funnily enough it's a trackday, not a race day (although sometimes you'd not think so). Much more enjoyable that way.