Sell the SC for a 997 S?

Greg 2

What old school BMX are you riding.  Was always a bit partial to SE racing variants.  (Quadangles first and PK rippers second and cruisers third).  Just like SC's they have had a bit of a run of late.  Not much change out of 4k for your run of the mill PK ripper.

I just put this through Google translator and I still have no idea what this means.  

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What old school BMX are you riding.  Was always a bit partial to SE racing variants.  (Quadangles first and PK rippers second and cruisers third).  Just like SC's they have had a bit of a run of late.  Not much change out of 4k for your run of the mill PK ripper.

Irony, it's a little like Porsche! Don't have the heart to ride a proper old school vintage BMX, I stupidly gave those to a friend who collects them. I just employ a modern Haro, it's a good little bike and its in RS Viper green colour scheme. :D 

On the subject of Macan Turbo's for daily, ours stays in the garage... we'd lose our licenses, the both of us if we daily drove it! 

G'day afterburner, I have just gone through the same decision process as you. One slight difference, is I am moving to the UK so later model 911s are considerearbly cheaper. Also, I either had to sell my SC or leave it in storage.

I sold my 1980 SC for $73k. It was in very good condition but it did need some work on the paint. Friends of mine in Canberra said I gave it away and could have got more, but I thought it was a good 'honest' price and the best news is another forum member picked up so I know it will continue to be looked after.

My main 'dislike' of the SC was all the old car issues - namely it wasn't comfortable to hop in take away for a weekend with the girlfriend or drive a long distance somewhere, so I was after a car that I could do this in comfortably. Combined with the fact that I am going to be living in the UK for three years and have road trips planned for all over UK and Europe, I decided to move into a later gen car. Current plan is to bring it back to Aus on return.

Do I miss the SC? Yes. Will I think about it all the time? Most likely. But I'm sure I will get over that when I take the 997 or 991 out for a spin to Monaco to watch the F1!

good luck with the decision making

cheers Antony

From everything I am reading, back in the day we would have said we were discussing the difference between a true sports car and a Grand Tourer (GT). Today, GT means something else. A GT was perfect for that long drive down to the South of France or anywhere else across Europe. The sports car is what you wanted for the runs through the quiet country roads. Both impressed the girlfriend, but the g/f would not have been impressed with a long weekend away in a sports car.  The GT could also be driven around town as a daily drive, while few drove sport cars like that. 

Ferrari understood this so well. They always produced Gran Turismo style of cars and true sports cars, to cater for both parts of their market.

IMO, the SC is a sports car, while the 997 S is a GT. Both valid cars in their own way, but you need to decide what you really want. It takes a special kind of enthusiast to use a sports car as a daily drive.

I just put this through Google translator and I still have no idea what this means.  

Back in the day, SE racing = my  equivalent  of a Porsche in the late seventies / early eighties in the BMX vintage world.  Rare, big bucks and more for the rich kids on the street and out on the track at the time.   (Haro's, GT's diamond backs, mongooses redlines were all your other Euro equivalents with street cred) The PK ripper is my bmx equivalent of a 911 SC (Trademark for SE racing bikes where their unique frames that impacted handling)  For the PK ripper that was the flat bar on the diagonal frame where it joins the head steam.  Skyway tuff rims are your Fuch's equivalent on a Porsche although used on many other bmx's with street cred, but very rarely seen on a track because of weight (Rims's and the PK ripper bike itself, better at street duties because of its weight)

th?&id=OIP.M887ae5280c340c4888a51d5af867

PK ripper

th?&id=OIP.M0d9ec12cf36857320cd06f7d69c4

Your cruiser, bit like a modern equivalent of a Cayenne compared to a 911, 26" ish frame over your standard 20" inch and a lot bigger rims.  Mainly exclusively ridden by cashed up 18 plus year olds racing on the track in the open class back in the late 70's / eighties.  Us small fries at the time were lucky to able to have out feet flat on the ground when sitting with the seat at its lowest position, let alone handle one fast around a track and get through a set of whoopy doo's

Image result for vintage 1978 quadangle

The quadangle, your 911 RS of BMX's.  SE racing where known for their unique frame shapes and these puppies were light and pretty rare on the road and the track but you could spot one a mile away and it turned heads, no ordinary top cross bar setup and the back frame shape also unique

Those three bikes in a collection would get you circa 12k plus no problem and 5 years ago would have them for 4 to 5k.  Similar comparative numbers to  911 SC

thanks all for all the replies, enjoyed reading everyones opinions and totally agree with all the responses.

Love the SC and the sensory experience of getting in and driving it. My original motivation was to try and drive a porsche everyday. School drop offs and Punt rd are a pig of a thing in the SC.

ideally as some others have suggested is to have the best of both worlds. I'll see if I can drive a 997 in the new year!

thanks

Greg

I have a decent collection of Haro freestylers from 83 to 88 ..............Page 7 Mancave thread 

I love the idea of the nostalgic old P cars, although I have still never driven mine yet. That said, I remember Chris Harris saying in one of his videos, that the reason he keeps swapping cars around is that he wants as many different experiences as possible. I can respect that, and you only have one life, if you have had the SC for a while maybe in your case you are ready for one of those new experiences.

I love the idea of the nostalgic old P cars, although I have still never driven mine yet. That said, I remember Chris Harris saying in one of his videos, that the reason he keeps swapping cars around is that he wants as many different experiences as possible. I can respect that, and you only have one life, if you have had the SC for a while maybe in your case you are ready for one of those new experiences.

Does that apply to everything in life? How long have you been married to Mrs Jeff:ph34r::lol:

I spose the only other thing to consider (or maybe not for you depending on your situation) is the 997 will depreciate further and if you do want to get back into an air-cooled 911 the buy in price might be way off where you are now.

Have you considered driving a 993 or 964? I drove both when considering my P car purchase a few years back and compared to the SC, they are much more DD friendly.

Just another option to possibly consider :)

So I've owned my 997S manual for a bit over 2 years, and I've daily driven it the whole time. I've driven my fo-in-laws SC for many years now but only as a weekend car.

Out of the 2; I wouldn't daily a SC. Its just too painful on so many levels. Its all been said before but the main ones are AC and maintenance. Personally I'd take the 997 every time even as a weekend garage princess. The nostalgia just isn't enough to make me choose the SC, the only real benefit I can see is that awesome air cooled sound.

Get a 997 with sport chrono (it changes the whole car) and the Porsche sports exhaust if possible. About the only thing you might regret is the SC might keep going up, the 997 probably has a bit further to drop before it (maybe) goes back up.

When I jump in the SC, I think to myself 'bit of fun' but when I'm done I can't wait to get back in my car to be honest. The 997 strikes a good balance between sports car and GT, the SC does not.

So I've owned my 997S manual for a bit over 2 years, and I've daily driven it the whole time. I've driven my fo-in-laws SC for many years now but only as a weekend car.

Out of the 2; I wouldn't daily a SC. Its just too painful on so many levels. Its all been said before but the main ones are AC and maintenance. Personally I'd take the 997 every time even as a weekend garage princess. The nostalgia just isn't enough to make me choose the SC, the only real benefit I can see is that awesome air cooled sound.

Get a 997 with sport chrono (it changes the whole car) and the Porsche sports exhaust if possible. About the only thing you might regret is the SC might keep going up, the 997 probably has a bit further to drop before it (maybe) goes back up.

When I jump in the SC, I think to myself 'bit of fun' but when I'm done I can't wait to get back in my car to be honest. The 997 strikes a good balance between sports car and GT, the SC does not.

Hoping my 997 4S eventually holds it value in years to come. With 996 4S seeming stable in the $80k range i'm hoping that choosing a rarer model in the 4S (black, manual, coupe, chrono, exhaust) with all the fruit will put me in good stead longer term. In saying that i didn't buy it for that, but it's a nice security blanket. In saying that an AC car was unfortunately out of range for me.

I don't know about not doing long distances in the SC.  I did something like 7 hours straight in the saddle a few months back and got out feeling good.   The seats are comfortable and the driving position is good.  They don't even use that much fuel.

AC can be sorted for what is a fraction of the purchase price nowadays, and you can up the AV to get your Bluetooth etc.

only place it would suck is driving manual in traffic, but then any manual  911 is going to give you that.

Archived