Jump to content

Recommended Posts

nice one. HNY indeed.

Now taking bets on how many episodes before its fired up? and officially driven?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I say 5 episodes

5 ?  but there is engine and drive train builds, roll cage fitting, interior trim?, paint (as we have seen, the colour choice alone could take awhile).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  The way they've been going, I'd say 49 more episodes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

5 ?  but there is engine and drive train builds, roll cage fitting, interior trim?, paint (as we have seen, the colour choice alone could take awhile).

 

I don't think there is going to be an engine rebuild as there has been too much add on work already done to it and it is in the car.  That then just leaves roll cage, new dash, carpet, head liner, trim, seats, wheels and paint.  I will stick with the 5 episodes.  If engine and gearbox need a rebuild then I will say 10 episodes as they will make all the new engine parts themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the detail they have gone to on every part of this build, as it is so over the top in every aspect. I really don't want them to finish it, but I do wonder about what they are thinking for the next even crazier build...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MFX said:

I love the detail they have gone to on every part of this build, as it is so over the top in every aspect. I really don't want them to finish it, but I do wonder about what they are thinking for the next even crazier build...

Yes Jeff for your fuel pump that little bracket you made to screw on to the frame to hold it in place would have taken half an episode on the Binky build and the ties you used on the spark plug leads would have been constructed out of aluminium plate and we would have to listen to for the beep to ensure everything was level.  I often wonder what Binky would be worth in dollars when you add up the labour cost to build him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I often wonder what Binky would be worth in dollars when you add up the labour cost to build him.

If you were the customer paying for the labour... wow, it would be insane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, deano said:

nice one. HNY indeed.

Now taking bets on how many episodes before its fired up? and officially driven?

I hope they’re training up a few apprentices. The build time estimate  will require a succession plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MFX said:

If you were the customer paying for the labour... wow, it would be insane!

 Sounds like changing a brake light bulb at some Porsche shops 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Sounds like changing a brake light bulb at some Porsche shops 🙄

or the $492 car wash I had at BMW Service last year.  Sorry, should be in the VENT page....off topic as usual.

 

PS.  I like to watch.   Keep the videos coming, Jeff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You think Binky will ever be done?  It's still got the 'dummy' motor in it, hasn't it?  There's an engine rebuild to go, paint, trimming...are the brakes done yet?  I forget.  The interior has got a long way to go I think.  There's still more wiring to go in the car even if it has been sorted outside the car.

The thing with Binky is that it is very cool but it is going to come out looking pretty bland.   The skills are in fabrication and engineering and not in presentation.  Those micra door panels - barf.  Even the body itself is very generic mini and wont turn out that interesting aside from the oversize wheels.   So I think the longer they continue to fabricate and engineer the more interesting it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Coastr said:

You think Binky will ever be done?  It's still got the 'dummy' motor in it, hasn't it?  There's an engine rebuild to go, paint, trimming...are the brakes done yet?  I forget.  The interior has got a long way to go I think.  There's still more wiring to go in the car even if it has been sorted outside the car.

The thing with Binky is that it is very cool but it is going to come out looking pretty bland.   The skills are in fabrication and engineering and not in presentation.  Those micra door panels - barf.  Even the body itself is very generic mini and wont turn out that interesting aside from the oversize wheels.   So I think the longer they continue to fabricate and engineer the more interesting it will be.

I think you've nailed it.  This car's greatest asset is the build process itself.   Once on the road...just another mini.  

As discussed elsewhere on PFA, having a popular following on Youtube helps pay for Project Binky.  I don't think it's break even but better than nothing and also great lead-in marketing for other business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Harvs11 said:

I think you've nailed it.  This car's greatest asset is the build process itself.   Once on the road...just another mini.   

But isn't this the beauty of the build?

Just a mini on the outside, but underneath...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

You think Binky will ever be done?  It's still got the 'dummy' motor in it, hasn't it?  There's an engine rebuild to go, paint, trimming...are the brakes done yet?  I forget.  The interior has got a long way to go I think.  There's still more wiring to go in the car even if it has been sorted outside the car.

The thing with Binky is that it is very cool but it is going to come out looking pretty bland.   The skills are in fabrication and engineering and not in presentation.  Those micra door panels - barf.  Even the body itself is very generic mini and wont turn out that interesting aside from the oversize wheels.   So I think the longer they continue to fabricate and engineer the more interesting it will be.

  More of a way to promote their business I would have thought.

 As for those door handles...what the hell were they thinking with that?  🤢🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so they should put their hands up, and say hey fellas we engineer, not paint.

Someone with a bit of nouse could partner up, do the painting, and the interior, etc.  and they can just overlay comment, add lame jokes and drink tea whilst its being assembled. Good exposure for someone to help out, plus it gets done and keeps avid viewers happy.

Then move to the next project whilst the irons hot, I've got a Mk1 Capri needing some love....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×