• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I say 5 episodes

5 ?  but there is engine and drive train builds, roll cage fitting, interior trim?, paint (as we have seen, the colour choice alone could take awhile).

12 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

5 ?  but there is engine and drive train builds, roll cage fitting, interior trim?, paint (as we have seen, the colour choice alone could take awhile).

I don't think there is going to be an engine rebuild as there has been too much add on work already done to it and it is in the car.  That then just leaves roll cage, new dash, carpet, head liner, trim, seats, wheels and paint.  I will stick with the 5 episodes.  If engine and gearbox need a rebuild then I will say 10 episodes as they will make all the new engine parts themselves.

I love the detail they have gone to on every part of this build, as it is so over the top in every aspect. I really don't want them to finish it, but I do wonder about what they are thinking for the next even crazier build...

16 minutes ago, MFX said:

I love the detail they have gone to on every part of this build, as it is so over the top in every aspect. I really don't want them to finish it, but I do wonder about what they are thinking for the next even crazier build...

Yes Jeff for your fuel pump that little bracket you made to screw on to the frame to hold it in place would have taken half an episode on the Binky build and the ties you used on the spark plug leads would have been constructed out of aluminium plate and we would have to listen to for the beep to ensure everything was level.  I often wonder what Binky would be worth in dollars when you add up the labour cost to build him.

4 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I often wonder what Binky would be worth in dollars when you add up the labour cost to build him.

If you were the customer paying for the labour... wow, it would be insane!

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Sounds like changing a brake light bulb at some Porsche shops 🙄

or the $492 car wash I had at BMW Service last year.  Sorry, should be in the VENT page....off topic as usual.

PS.  I like to watch.   Keep the videos coming, Jeff.  

You think Binky will ever be done?  It's still got the 'dummy' motor in it, hasn't it?  There's an engine rebuild to go, paint, trimming...are the brakes done yet?  I forget.  The interior has got a long way to go I think.  There's still more wiring to go in the car even if it has been sorted outside the car.

The thing with Binky is that it is very cool but it is going to come out looking pretty bland.   The skills are in fabrication and engineering and not in presentation.  Those micra door panels - barf.  Even the body itself is very generic mini and wont turn out that interesting aside from the oversize wheels.   So I think the longer they continue to fabricate and engineer the more interesting it will be.

13 minutes ago, Coastr said:

You think Binky will ever be done?  It's still got the 'dummy' motor in it, hasn't it?  There's an engine rebuild to go, paint, trimming...are the brakes done yet?  I forget.  The interior has got a long way to go I think.  There's still more wiring to go in the car even if it has been sorted outside the car.

The thing with Binky is that it is very cool but it is going to come out looking pretty bland.   The skills are in fabrication and engineering and not in presentation.  Those micra door panels - barf.  Even the body itself is very generic mini and wont turn out that interesting aside from the oversize wheels.   So I think the longer they continue to fabricate and engineer the more interesting it will be.

I think you've nailed it.  This car's greatest asset is the build process itself.   Once on the road...just another mini.  

As discussed elsewhere on PFA, having a popular following on Youtube helps pay for Project Binky.  I don't think it's break even but better than nothing and also great lead-in marketing for other business.  

34 minutes ago, Harvs11 said:

I think you've nailed it.  This car's greatest asset is the build process itself.   Once on the road...just another mini.   

But isn't this the beauty of the build?

Just a mini on the outside, but underneath...

4 hours ago, Coastr said:

More of a way to promote their business I would have thought.

As for those door handles...what the hell were they thinking with that?  🤢🤮

so they should put their hands up, and say hey fellas we engineer, not paint.

Someone with a bit of nouse could partner up, do the painting, and the interior, etc.  and they can just overlay comment, add lame jokes and drink tea whilst its being assembled. Good exposure for someone to help out, plus it gets done and keeps avid viewers happy.

Then move to the next project whilst the irons hot, I've got a Mk1 Capri needing some love....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...