AQUA WAX all your questions answered

Niko

There has been a bit of conversation on the forum lately which involves AQUA WAX (The one I use is AUTOGLYM)

Here is a video that shows you how to apply it.  

The questions and answers below the video are informative and are actually answered by AUTOGLYM.

Hit the youtube logo on the bottom right for the Qand A's    

Edited by Niko

I read a review. Can you confirm this Niko? Some people I know hate coconut bananas. 

Ha ha well actually when I was aqua waxing mine (the car that is) last week,

my missus walked passed and made comment that it smells like something you should be eating.B)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having purchased my car recently and only driven it a few times now, I'm just starting to think of a wax/polish regime but dreading the care and time I need to cover and protect  all the black rubber bits...  (God, there's just so many!)

is this stuff for real, the video looked impressive. How long does it last? Do you apply it after every wash? 

Having purchased my car recently and only driven it a few times now, I'm just starting to think of a wax/polish regime but dreading the care and time I need to cover and protect  all the black rubber bits...  (God, there's just so many!)

is this stuff for real, the video looked impressive. How long does it last? Do you apply it after every wash? 

I also use Duragloss Aquawax and think it's great. I apply it after every wash. Don't think it would last through a wash. 

You might want to consider getting a coating such as Opticoat or Ceramic Pro if like me you don't want to have to wax properly. I have Opticoat on my 996 (had Ceramic Pro on a previous car) and find it great. I still aquawax on top for a bit of extra protection

Philbee, I apply Autoglym AquaWax every time I wash my car.

easy to use.   I use a two or three microfiber clothes in the process.

so as per the video.   While car is dripping wet Just spray a few squirts over the panel your drying.    One MF to virtually dry that panel, wring that one out as needed as you go, then a final dry and polish up with a second dry MF cloth.

depending on how often you wash your car I guess as far as how long it lasts...

but it does put a good coating on.

in reality, your (possibly/probably) going to MF your car after a wash anyway so it's no extra effort required.  It is great on both my black Cayman and also brings up the paint on my 32 year old Champagne coloured Bluebird like new.

im sure the Duragloss brand is just as good.

Give it a try until you go through a full bottle.   See what you think then.

sensational product in my opinion.

Thanks Niko, with such a rousing recommendation, I'll be going to autobarn today for an autoglym  purchase... :)  

My baby needs some lovin cos she puts out on those SMTs with sensational ease and without a hitch... and she's black! Needs regular maintenance (symsy, don't look now!!)

Good on you mate, The only thing is the paint surface should be in good nick before you start doing the Aquawax system.

And it is a wax in the end, so that is your final coating, ...all you need.   Good luck with it.

Thanks Niko, with such a rousing recommendation, I'll be going to autobarn today for an autoglym  purchase... :)  

My baby needs some lovin cos she puts out on those SMTs with sensational ease and without a hitch... and she's black! Needs regular maintenance (symsy, don't look now!!)

Hi Philbee,

As Niko says the paint should be perfect before you apply the wax so maybe worth giving it a clay first to get rid of all the crap that washing doesn't lift off.

I see your in Brighton so might be an idea to head down to carcareproducts in South Rd Moorabbin as they have an impressive range of cleaning stuff and give good advice

oh, I have a claybar but ... this is (getting) serious mum (TISM). I've used it on my beemer awhile ago. Hmmm...didn't think I needed to get down and dirty that far to squirt some aqua wax on... But I hear and I obey.

Thanks for the tip on the car care joint, 9r, didn't know it was there (driven past often enough, yes I'm close by)... will pop in and check them out. 

But before I do..... Due to my recent trip to the GOR a few weeks ago (see posting on "where did you drive today" thread)... I managed to "introduce myself" to a very naive (and obviously deaf) seagull as my RS screamed towards the little blighter sitting on the road on that early morning run to the apostles. What was he thinking! Sitting on the friggen road, on the GOR on a sunday morning. Luckily he looked up just in time to launch off the road and avoid inspecting my gearbox and undercarriage and head butting my front grill & club plate. He even swerved past my headlight but just not enough to clear and avoid saying hi to my bonnet & windscreen, feathers a flying.... I was hoping he had rolled on his back as he woooshed over my bonnet but instead his pointy little claw got me. Little bugger!!  was thinking of repairing this first... So I'm checking out the "dr colorchip" thread... and they seem to say you can polish first if you want. So, maybe I don't need to wait.   And as Im a hot rod I have no idea what my colour code is, there's no sticker. So a little research needed....  I'm calling Zag in NSW to ask them (birthplace of me p-car) whats the code for black gloss (non-metallic)? 

:wacko:

I also use Duragloss Aquawax and think it's great. I apply it after every wash. Don't think it would last through a wash. 

You might want to consider getting a coating such as Opticoat or Ceramic Pro if like me you don't want to have to wax properly. I have Opticoat on my 996 (had Ceramic Pro on a previous car) and find it great. I still aquawax on top for a bit of extra protection

I have Opticoat on my dark blue DD, Does Aquamax prevent spotting? 

water spotting? You still get it if it is rained on or if you hose it and don't dry it properly. But it improves beading over Opticoat alone

i always dry with a mf cloth after hosing, it's the rain that gets it spotty.  Par for the course as my car lives out in the wild. 

I managed to "introduce myself" to a very naive (and obviously deaf) seagull as my RS screamed towards the little blighter sitting on the road on that early morning run to the apostles. What was he thinking! Sitting on the friggen road, on the GOR on a sunday morning. 

Bet ya he won't do that again!!!

i always dry with a mf cloth after hosing, it's the rain that gets it spotty.  Par for the course as my car lives out in the wild. 

yeh, won't fix that. However, I had rain sports the other day so just hosed my car off then dried with my master blaster car dryer (a car specific blower) and it was clean again. If You don't have a blower I wouldn't do that though as if you don't dry it the tap water spots will be worse and if you dry it with an mf or other cloth there is bound to be some dirt on there that will end up in swirls! If you have a rain water tank though, hosing it down then flooding the panels might work ok without drying

yeh, won't fix that. However, I had rain sports the other day so just hosed my car off then dried with my master blaster car dryer (a car specific blower) and it was clean again. If You don't have a blower I wouldn't do that though as if you don't dry it the tap water spots will be worse and if you dry it with an mf or other cloth there is bound to be some dirt on there that will end up in swirls! If you have a rain water tank though, hosing it down then flooding the panels might work ok without drying

I so want one of those master blaster car dryers but santa didn't come through again ?

water spotting? You still get it if it is rained on or if you hose it and don't dry it properly. But it improves beading over Opticoat alone

Err... are we saying I will get water spotty after it rains once I've clay barred and aqua-waxed my car?  I hope not.... after all that lovin' it cant do that to me, surely.

• 2 months later...

Philbee, I apply Autoglym AquaWax every time I wash my car.

easy to use.   I use a two or three microfiber clothes in the process.

so as per the video.   While car is dripping wet Just spray a few squirts over the panel your drying.    One MF to virtually dry that panel, wring that one out as needed as you go, then a final dry and polish up with a second dry MF cloth.

depending on how often you wash your car I guess as far as how long it lasts...

but it does put a good coating on.

in reality, your (possibly/probably) going to MF your car after a wash anyway so it's no extra effort required.  It is great on both my black Cayman and also brings up the paint on my 32 year old Champagne coloured Bluebird like new.

im sure the Duragloss brand is just as good.

Give it a try until you go through a full bottle.   See what you think then.

sensational product in my opinion.

so I went out and bought some AquaWax yesterday and did all 3 cars - what a result !! Love this stuff, thanks for the pointers and video Niko

after the positive reviews above I thought I'd give this a crack on Saturday.  Tried it out on my 928 on Saturday morning and came up a treat. Would have been even better with decent prep (read clay bar and light polish) but pretty good for very little effort.  I'm a convert if only as a stop gap in between my usual wax.

Results below.

IMG_6302_zpsbzbhsxir.jpg

Good on you mate, The only thing is the paint surface should be in good nick before you start doing the Aquawax system.

And it is a wax in the end, so that is your final coating, ...all you need.   Good luck with it.

I may have to get onto the aqua wax and use it in between a decent exterior wash that takes me approximately a lazy 4 hours (have a bad habit of starting after 10.30pm at night listening to talkback on SEN radio after a night match of footy) with some smells that remind me of being in a candy store.  In terms of getting the paint surface in good nick pre wax,  a decent process that has served me well over the years is  1) duragloss car wash concentrate (yes it looks and smells like red cherry medicine with a strong cherry scent),  2) then 3M blue clay bar (50 cent size piece) with small amount of  dishwashing liquid with demin water in spray bottle for lubrication and drying with a clean microbre cloth, 3) Klasse all in all one polish via microfiber cloth slightly damp, 4)  Klasse high gloss sealant glaze via dry  mircofibre cloth,, and then 5) a wax as top coat(poor boy's carnauba wax (blue and smells like blue bubble gum) via microbofibre pad applicator and microfiber dry cloth to buff it off.

Edited by smit2100