Best Drivers Road in Aus Omeo Hwy

Redracn

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been in the Adelaide hills yet? ;-)

Yep done the hills quite a few times both as open and closed "Targa" roads with 130kph speed-limit. While easy to acces that is also one of the hills biggest problems. 

By every driving measure Omeo Hwy is better.

I just did it twice and no plods. Full length of around 100km and did not need to overtake both times. Only couple of cars each day going in the opposite direction. It does get a bit busier after xmas and you could see a plod or two on the superbike weekend at PI as well as way to many temporary Aussies on two wheels.

In fact I have been in the area for 4 days and have not seen a plod on the road.

Did they see you?  ? 

There are so few cars out there that any parked near the road are an easy spot especially the ones parked dead parallel. They would also do lousy business as getting to 100 on most of the road is very difficult and they would get very few potential customers also no single or double lines to cross so no $ there either. There is one local that set up a fake old style camera last year during the superbike GP. It stood out big time compared todays also poor attempts at entrapment. And yes I stopped to check it out. 

I have seen one plod at a servo and another at his office but none on the road. I expect that since there is so little traffic about they are taking leave ahead of the busy season when they require all hands on deck.

• 1 month later...

So guys , Im gonna drive a toy Melb - Sydney next month , so do you go Bright - Omeo - Jindy - Cooma ? Will need potentially 98 too ;) and any suggestions for food , places to stay? Omeo or Jindy  thanks

@symsy : Steve, sounds like a great drive. Omeo is a very sleepy little town so not much choice there for accommodation. There is a service station there but not sure if they have 98. That would be a massive drive if you were to drive from Melbourne through Bright and Omeo to Jindy in one day. If you like, can share with you a drive that would take most of the day from Melbourne to Bright where I would suggest you overnight ( lots of choices there) and from there to Mt Hotham, Omeo, Granya and then to Jindy and Cooma. If you could manage the time I would do it with two overnight stops. One at Bright and one at Cooma, Jindy or even Canberra.

@symsy : Steve, sounds like a great drive. Omeo is a very sleepy little town so not much choice there for accommodation. There is a service station there but not sure if they have 98. That would be a massive drive if you were to drive from Melbourne through Bright and Omeo to Jindy in one day. If you like, can share with you a drive that would take most of the day from Melbourne to Bright where I would suggest you overnight ( lots of choices there) and from there to Mt Hotham, Omeo, Granya and then to Jindy and Cooma. If you could manage the time I would do it with two overnight stops. One at Bright and one at Cooma, Jindy or even Canberra.

Yep two nights for that trip especially if you include the best driving roads like via Whitfield and Big River road. Bright then Omeo hwy to Mitta Mitta. 

98 is becoming more common as stations convert 95 pumps to 98. Omeo is not one of them.

Bright, Khancoban, Tallangatta, Corryong, Jindy all have 98.

Rather than going via Cooma and Canberra heading from Jindy to Tumut via the Snowy Mtn Hwy is a much better drive.

Yes that would be great , appreciate the tips 

Yep two nights for that trip especially if you include the best driving roads like via Whitfield and Big River road. Bright then Omeo hwy to Mitta Mitta. 

98 is becoming more common as stations convert 95 pumps to 98. Omeo is not one of them.

Bright, Khancoban, Tallangatta, Corryong, Jindy all have 98.

Rather than going via Cooma and Canberra heading from Jindy to Tumut via the Snowy Mtn Hwy is a much better drive.

Ok as I dont know any of the places.. totally open to split it up… it s a get to know you journey .. no rush.. well maybe a little rush from the drive.. but not with pressured timeline 

GT car compatible roads are all ideal..

Yes that would be great , appreciate the tips 

Ok as I dont know any of the places.. totally open to split it up… it s a get to know you journey .. no rush.. well maybe a little rush from the drive.. but not with pressured timeline 

GT car compatible roads are all ideal..

Hi Symsy, really great advice from Chris-p and redracn and like them I'd suggest Bright and then Jindy (or nearby) as your stops (and book early as  noted by KGB)

Been doing an annual ride up there with a club im in for 25 years so also happy to share some options up to Jindy / Tumut (I'm useless north of there as we turn south again at that point) which were made for a GT car... I'm envious of you as I should be heading off For that run this weekend but can't make it this year ?

Hi Symsy, really great advice from Chris-p and redracn and like them I'd suggest Bright and then Jindy (or nearby) as your stops (and book early as  noted by KGB)

Been doing an annual ride up there with a club im in for 25 years so also happy to share some options up to Jindy / Tumut (I'm useless north of there as we turn south again at that point) which were made for a GT car... I'm envious of you as I should be heading off For that run this weekend but can't make it this year ?

Yes im gonna have to merge all of you, road geniuses great input and work out the best flow town to town.. along with food , fuel and sleep stops.. 2-3 days will be fine .. probably head up to batemans bay and souther Sydney highlands and then plot the Sydney to Byron there after.

I am going to  have a car delivered to melbourne come to the PFA day on the 12th and then drive up to Byron..

So going to try shake out and consolidate the best bits of a lot of the great posts in this thread and this area of the forum , maybe when im done I can map it all and we can call it the great South to North PFA pilgrimage ...

Or as one 964 owner has already called out naming rights " Tour De Fraz" 

Yes im gonna have to merge all of you, road geniuses great input and work out the best flow town to town.. along with food , fuel and sleep stops.. 2-3 days will be fine .. probably head up to batemans bay and souther Sydney highlands and then plot the Sydney to Byron there after.

I am going to  have a car delivered to melbourne come to the PFA day on the 12th and then drive up to Byron..

So going to try shake out and consolidate the best bits of a lot of the great posts in this thread and this area of the forum , maybe when im done I can map it all and we can call it the great South to North PFA pilgrimage ...

Or as one 964 owner has already called out naming rights " Tour De Fraz" 

i was based in bairnsdale for a couple of weeks and took the time to visit my grandma in melbourne. this is the route i took down from canberra, if it's of use to you, all epic roads. as you can see leaving bairnsdale, there are no shortage of great roads, can't go wrong. spent three weeks exploring most of them, can recommend staying there.

https://goo.gl/maps/oDoepWCFKyE2

Archived