Best Drivers Road in Aus Omeo Hwy

Redracn

right - but the Omeo Highway, between Omeo and Mitta Mitta, then on to Wodonga - has that ever been blocked by snow in April or even May? I've taken everything from a Landcruiser to a Gemini up that road around Easter with water and mud being the biggest issue

Worst case scenario camp out at the Blue Duck and wait for the snow to melt !

We drove the Omeo Hwy in October last year. The Rd to Falls was indeed closed and there was Snow on Hotham. I wouldn't be too concerned about April. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plan was to exercise GT3 , not a sight seeing trip..and offroad excursions not in outlook.. just a little concerned with ICE ICE Baby?

You should be ok as the altitude is not that high. Any Ice will be at Hotham if you go that way. 

You can expect a lot of RVs /bikes etc being Easter and possibly a copper. I have only seen one HWY patrol during the super bike at PHillip Island weekend and the local ones in 4WD around each end. 

Plan was to exercise GT3 , not a sight seeing trip..and offroad excursions not in outlook.. just a little concerned with ICE ICE Baby?

Snow still on the summit at Hotham and what do you know.........2 x 993s, 2 x Caymans, a GT4....and a GT3.

Don't think it was a sight seeing expedition.

I think you should go for it!!!

IMAG0388_zps9ms6doky.jpg

Hi Steve,

we normally stay at the Bogong view motel. It's just on the Mt Hotham side of Bright and about a 5 minute walk into town for the restaurants etc. clean comfortable and reasonably priced. Cars are safe too... :) 

Mansfield to Whitfield a Spesh bit of road … but the  Omeo To Mitta Mitta OMG..The Targa road around and Tawonga Gap a highlight .. very very special..  Also took a blast over falls creek a little gritty but nice and twisty

Thank you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the details of the roads and the places to stay that are being posted in this thread.  Since this location is way out of my neighbourhood, getting the details of the best route is gold.

Thank you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the details of the roads and the places to stay that are being posted in this thread.  Since this location is way out of my neighbourhood, getting the details of the best route is gold.

Peter M .. Not to dominate this thread .. but love  some recommendations from say Gosford to further north..

Maybe we can create a Melbourne to Brisbane route :)  Im in Bowral (Just had to shake up MFX's world), heading north right tomorrow ..  would prefer to take a few days drive home ..

@Michel The route across from teh back of canberra a gem , bia lake bathurst.. tarrago .. not to twisty but good flowing curves that can be negotiated at + 10-100 over

• 1 year later...

Archived