Driving at 300 KPH & Beyond

Makes you wonder how they piloted the 917 at close to 400km/hr back in the day , nearly 50 years ago. Feet in front of the axle and all that manly stuff.

Indeed and with far less safety features..not that any "safety features" would do much good at those speeds!. The 917s must have had custom interiors to fit the drivers balls. 

Makes you wonder how they piloted the 917 at close to 400km/hr back in the day , nearly 50 years ago. Feet in front of the axle and all that manly stuff.

...or the LSR attempts of Auto-Union and Mercedes-Benz on the Autobahn near Darmstadt in the late 30's.They went past the 400 mark...

Balls of steel!

I did 285 km/h on my FZR 1000 20 years ago on the Autobahn.Scary and fascinating,the bike gets so incredibly stiff over 200..

Completely different than in a car i suppose.....glad I survived those days.

That's Hans Herrmann at the Avus in 1959 in a BRM...probably a good thing he exited the car in this case.

The drivers in those days were all afraid of getting stuck in the car and burn to death in case of a crash....

a crash over 400 though...not sure what safety feature would help you there.

I will be the first to ask ,,,,,How many on this sight have V Maxed their P cars .........? 303 kph indicated on the speedo my 997 s ,,I am sure there is a degree of error there but that,s close enough for me ..

I did 285 km/h on my FZR 1000 20 years ago on the Autobahn.Scary and fascinating,the bike gets so incredibly stiff over 200..

Completely different than in a car i suppose.....glad I survived those days.

I shudder to think what speed I was doing on a mates Hayabusa on the way to Victoria. Maxed out the speedo anyway. Can safely say I would have been vapourised if I hit anything. 

I crashed at 224kph (telemetry) whilst racing in the rain at Philip Island. Gets bloody hot on ya bum at that speed sliding for what felt like 2 km's! 

I can't imagine doing 300 in a car. Scares the .... out of me going mega quick in a car

25 years back I did 250ks in my standard 82 SC down Burwood highway on a stretch between Tecoma and UFTG with a passenger - freakin idiot I was. Manged to slow it down and catch it by backing off a little when it started floating.... older n wiser now and still alive, the Coxster doesn't seem to want to go past 270! Or is it me who doesn't?

I will be the first to ask ,,,,,How many on this sight have V Maxed their P cars .........? 303 kph indicated on the speedo my 997 s ,,I am sure there is a degree of error there but that,s close enough for me ..

Would question what race track has along enough straight for you to hit 300+ in a 997S.  I see 235 at ECR and from memory 270 at Bathurst in my 996TT.

263 km/h is my best - GT2 at Phiilip Island

257 km/h got close recently - RX7 at Phillip Island

226 km/h absolutely flat out downhill in a Merc C180 wagon renter on the autobahn - we were willing it on but it had no more to give.  The M6 that blasted past looked like he was up there.

103 is the fastest ever on the road in Aus, honest officer.......?

Would question what race track has along enough straight for you to hit 300+ in a 997S.  I see 235 at ECR and from memory 270 at Bathurst in my 996TT.

Was not done on a race track .......................

Back in the 90's I hired a base VS commodore in NT for a few days. Was cruising at around 205/210 getting around 360kms per tank.

As for P-cars, Im much wiser now. Fastest I would have gone is redline 4th gear in my old Cayman. Not sure what speed that would be.

Would love to max out my Carrera. The speedo says 330 but would love to know what it could actually get to. Has anyone here done the Stuart highway? Wouldn't mind giving it a go one day.

As for P-cars, Im much wiser now. Fastest I would have gone is redline 4th gear in my old Cayman. Not sure what speed that would be.

If your Cayman was a base 2.9l, you were doing 193kph.If it was an "S" you were doing 209kph.  

Probably about 160+ in my Formula Vee and maybe close to 200 on my RZ350 race bike - both at the track.

No desire to max out my 928, where could I do this, would not on a road and no track in Tassie has long enough straights

Slightly off topic but I wonder if this is possible?

Lease an airfield somewhere in Australia to v-max our cars. I see there are proper events in Europe. Im sure attendance numbers for an event of this kind would not be an issue and possibly quite profitable for the organiser. Would it be even possible under Australian law?

I know i’d pay a decent entry fee to let my car loose on an airfield at a properly organised event.

Lease an airfield somewhere in Australia to v-max our cars. I see there are proper events in Europe. Im sure attendance numbers for an event of this kind would not be an issue and possibly quite profitable for the organiser. Would it be even possible under Australian law?

I know i’d pay a decent entry fee to let my car loose on an airfield at a properly organised event.

OH&S and general public safety/liability/insurance/permits/redtape etc.. would kill it on the first costing in nanny state Vic ...pity 

In theory this sort of thing should be possible and there are numerous air stripes nation wide that could facilitate those sorts of speeds the issue would mostly be public liability and safety issues ,,duty of care etc and this would be the big issue that would have to be meet ,,,,,I know they hold an event yearly in Canberra on an runway as I have seen some footage  of this on speed week ,,,would be fun 

Used to do track days on airfields back in the UK, some of the best days out I've had have been gooning around on airfields. Bentwaters in Sussex was ace, old American base with quite a long runway and lots of old hangers, maxed out quite a few cars there and they're probably the best place to learn how to safely handle your cars and discover the limits. Would love something similar to be available here, just be prepared for lots of gravel rash and trashed tyres.

Fastest I've driven on the road was a de-restricted E60 M5 at a little over 300kmh (190mph), most sustained was 175mph down the M50 one night and it's incredible how tight the corners on a motorway become at that speed, I covered 21 miles on that run and I'm telling you I needed to use all the lanes (including the hard shoulder) at times. 

Regularly used to hit 150-160 driving home from work in my M3, that thing just loved to go. Cruising across the autobahn to the Ring was alway entertaining as well, I could be sat at 150mph and be passed by allsorts of stuff like I was going backwards :lol:

They do run these events each year.  It's called the Snowy Mountains 1000 or something from memory and is run down at Cooma, think we would have just missed the last one.  

Archived