Cayman S Bargain of the year

Apogee

One of my neighbours just purchased a 2006 Cayman S manual (95,000kms) with factory electric powered seats, 19 inch Lobster Claw rims, HID headlights for $30K!

The seller had received a previous offer of $42K which he rejected but had to sell it quickly after his baby arrived early. My neighbour went there not intending to buy the car, offered $20K and settled with the seller for $30K. Talk about being there at the right time...

I am going to have a beer...

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good baby will do that.

The seller had received a previous offer of $42K which he rejected but had to sell it quickly after his baby arrived early. My neighbour went there not intending to buy the car, offered $20K and settled with the seller for $30K. Talk about being there at the right time...

Yep...A good baby will do that!

When you find out, please let me know.

Kick enough tyres and eventually...

It's all in the @symsy handbook, TYRKCKER monthly, the latest issue is out now at any good newsagent.  

There's also a xmas special of 20% off if you subscribe for 12 months. Sure to pay for itself.

Seems to be about the going price?

Here's an auto S for $35k with 120,000kms:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2007/SSE-AD-4436432/?Cr=1

$30k is the best bargain I've heard on a Cayman I've seen since I started looking in August. This $35k auto as well as perhaps the lower km $45k Cayman S a few weeks back are the next two best I've seen.

Most don't seem to budge under the high 40s.

$30k is the best bargain I've heard on a Cayman I've seen since I started looking in August. This $35k auto as well as perhaps the lower km $45k Cayman S a few weeks back are the next two best I've seen.

Most don't seem to budge under the high 40s.

Arguably, $35K asking price for an S beats $30K negotiated sale price for a non-S.

Even $35K negiotated sale price for an S would win, I think. I mean, 2.7L vs 3.4L.

If it were a manual, I'd be having a look at it myself.

The only explanation I can think of is that they are being dragged down by the Boxster prices. Arguably, a Boxster S > a Cayman non-S, ceteris paribus.

There's a real disparity between Boxsters and Caymans it seems. 987 Boxsters in the $20s now and Caymans still generally struggling to break the 40k barrier other than a small handful. 

While searching for the length of conrods in 3.4's I came across this nice write up of the highs and lows of owning a base 987.1 for 6 years.  Worth a read for us Cayman virgins: http://juansolo.co.uk/motas/porker.html

I waited a bit longer, but I also made the leap from Lotus to Cayman. I'll bore anyone who wants to listen how good the Hethel car was, but that writer nailed it. The Porsche just feels more grown up. 

As for speed, my buddy's 2015 Focus ST snaps at the heels of Das Croc, but after looking after it for a month and leaving the Cayman in it's garage, you can guess how stoked I was stepping back into the Porsche. I have more fun at legal speeds in the Cayman than I ever could in a hyper modern fast hatch. 

That's always my 'argument' with hot hatch/WRX/EVO owners. They say their car will eat a Cayman for breakfast which is fair enough if they can, though looking back at your car and seeing a Porsche, or a car that you would go shopping/pick kids up in, which one would you prefer to see? 

On another note: I see that Blue 07 Cayman went up by 3 grand to $38k

Archived