Cayman S Bargain of the year

Apogee

And... on news just in from CarSales, the bargain Cayman S, which we thought to be sold, is now advertised at... $43,888:blink:

Something weird. I can also see the $43,888 (increased from $39,888) on my "saved car" tab, but the listing isn't coming up in the main search anymore.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to the dealer late this afternoon.  Apparently there has been a lot of interest, but is yet to be sold.  About 6 or 7 people have said they're going to see it tomorrow.

He said that it needs to be detailed/polished and put through their workshop.  Also, it's just had a year of rego added to it.  Perhaps the market assessment by the dealer of the price was incorrect at first, or perhaps the price was an intro 'this week only' price, or perhaps it was a 'come in spinner' price  

What happened to it being sold and heading down to Melbourne I wonder?

yeah that's seems like a common dealer trick. quick get in now or it'll be shipped off to some wanker in x other city. save the car from them by buying it now....

I've had that pulled on me a few times, didn't blink an eye led, did walk out the second time I heard it.

Spoke to the sales manager this morning (I suspect he'll breathe a sigh of relief when this car is sold) and asked about the price change from ~40 to 44k.  He thinks it was probably advertised too cheaply, it's not their usual stock item, and has been inundated with interest.  The dealer pays $50 per click on 'give me the dealer details' by a potential buyer, and they've had stacks of people click the link.  3 people have provided their CC number over the phone but it's still not sold.  First one to get there and sign the paperwork is the owner.

What he said is that quite a few of the interested people have then tried to negotiate further on the Cayman already at a bargain basement value.  He wasn't too happy about that (obviously).....he was polite and friendly but you could tell they were frustrated with the situation.

It's not the first car to have it's price changed, and on some of the late model C class MBs I've watched in the past, the price does sometimes go up - anywhere between 5 - 10% - which seems odd but I'm not a salesperson so I can't make an informed conclusion on that approach.

.......... A well used and well serviced machine is better than a hardly used and hardly serviced machine.

The way it was explained to me, in relation to these cars, is that because the metals and oils don't get hot, they collect and retain moisture (and other impurities)............

The IMS has poor lubrication to begin with and fails as a result of poor lubricant quality...........

The oils also don't get to thin out as much as they should do ie stay thick(ish) and can't get in to all the nooks and crannies needed..........

If the system doesn't get hot, the water will collect and eventually rust out ............ parts of the engine (although the engine blocks are big chunks of metal and so it's less likely but items like rocker/valve covers and small moving parts in the engine bay are candidates).

A cold catalytic converter will clog and start to fail to do it job (typically a good hard fang will fix this) leading to poor performance.

I know in my Evo, it gets oil and filter every 5k kms or about every 8 weeks.  One could argue that because the car is always driven and rarely cools down, the oils would be okay to stretch out to longer intervals of 10k kms but it's cheap to do (about $150 at a dealer) and it means that the car always has good oils to do their jobs of lubrication and impurity scavenging. 

Hi jakroo,

I disagree with everything you've said above, except for some statements that just require further qualification.

Do think it's pretty cool you have a 749 too though!:)

The general understanding I have of any engine is that regular use is good for them and keeps them longlived.  Not hard use.  Not infrequent use.  Just good, regular use - everything gets warm and lubed and moisture gets removed.  I'm not a mechanic and have very little mechanical skill but 2 of my best mates are mechanics (one builds and races off road rally vehicles, and has been quite successful over the 40 or so years he's been doing) and they have said to not be too scared of kilometres, but be scared of poor servicing and poor mechanical sympathy.  I'm sure not everyone would agree with that, and that's fine by me.  I have followed their advice and it's worked so far for me.

But what I wrote above, I was stating what I was told by the mechanics I spoke to about the Cayman. I was not stating what I know about the Cayman/Boxster engine design issues.

I sold the 749s some years ago to fund part of building my house.  I miss it but I now get to spend time in an excavator, and that too is also a lot of fun.

you could tell they were frustrated with the situation.

Oh well, time for them to endure the frustration for a change. 

They would know damn well what a Cayman is 'worth', so it's probably just carsalesman speak. That car was much more expensive last year (high 40's or low 50's from memory), because I spoke to them before I bought my SC, so he's just yanking your chain

yeah that's seems like a common dealer trick. quick get in now or it'll be shipped off to some wanker in x other city. save the car from them by buying it now....

I've had that pulled on me a few times, didn't blink an eye led, did walk out the second time I heard it.

Sounds like you were just too smart for the dealer. 

Well done you.

In the usual real world cars in WA or FNQ are just too far to buy if you're in Melb or Sydney central.

Personally think this is an advantage as less people are willing to put in the extra effort and so means less people to compete with you over what can be a great car.

I recently bought  my 3.2l Carrera from Perth which was on consignment at the Porsche dealer. Took the earliest Saturday morning flight return on the red eye Sunday morning after paying a deposit over the phone which was to be refunded if I wasn't happy with the car. 

Did take a while to get back but was a lot cheaper to ship back than what I expected. Yes it adds to the cost as do the flights, but when making a purchase like this the $1500 for shipping and flights I spent was worthwhile. Just got it back from getting its roadworthy Thursday and all it needed was two new back tyres and returned to a legal ride height. The Independent Porsche mechanic who did this work had nothing but glowing comments about it!

After all that, the 'was 39k',  'now 44k' Cayman is still for sale.  I trust the dealer is satisfied with how that went.  Good grief!

The red one up in Cairns came off the market over the weekend as well.  I'm not sure if it sold or was withdrawn but you can no longer see the advert in any useful manner - the private seller was also using a carsales service that provides a phone number redirection to keep their number private.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived