HOW TO PRONOUNCE PORSCHE..for Aussies

Niko

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think a lot of us are guilty of saying it wrongly.   I'm guilty because I think it sounds a bit uppity... But I will try and do the right thing from now on in.

http://flatsixes.com/advise/how-to-pronounce-porsche/

I can tell you now, if I was to pronounce it like that around some of my mates (who hate my 964 anyway) I would probably be excommunicated. 

Gawd, here comes another 10 page debate.

I say Porsche, one syllable without the 'uh' at the end of it as I've done since I was a kid, and I'm not about to change.

Potato Potarto. Tomato, Tomayto? 

Gawd, here comes another 10 page debate.

I say Porsche, one syllable without the 'uh' at the end of it as I've done since I was a kid, and I'm not about to change.

Potato Potarto. Tomato, Tomayto? 

I can tell you now, if I was to pronounce it like that around some of my mates (who hate my 964 anyway) I would probably be excommunicated. 

+1!

Yep, you blokes are correct I reckon, so  I have wilted already.....Bugger it, I'm still going to pronounce it "poorsh" 

A blonde canvassed a wealthy neighbourhood looking for odd jobs. She went to the front door of the first house and asked the owner if he had anything for her to do.

"Well, you can paint my porch. How much will you charge?"

She replied, "How about $50?"

The man agreed and told her the paint was in the garage. A short time later, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.

"You're finished already?" he asked.

"Yes," the blonde answered, "and I had paint left over, so I gave it two coats." Impressed, the man reached in his pocket for the $50.

"And by the way," the blonde added, "that's not a Porsche; it's a Ferrari."

I always said Porrrsh as a kid. That's how it looked in print, and how it was pronounced by anyone on tv (that wasn't German).

When more travelled journos started adding the "..uh" I thought it made them sound up themselves, until you consider it's a family name. If someone added or subtracted syllables from your surname, you'd probably correct them!.

It still feels awkward saying it right, but I'll give you a clue....if you walked in to a "Porsch-uh" dealer with a  suitcase of money, not one salesman would correct you for saying Porrrsh!

I was saying it amongst non-car people friends on the weekend...got a few "that guy is a real wanker" stares. :blink:

ha ha, but you actually have a couple of them......they don't.

YOU WIN.....

My father is Austrian and speaks the most beautiful (huh, what?) proper German, and is a car nut.  If I mispronounced any of the Gerrywagen names growing up I received a well placed back-hander.  Now I deploy 'situation specific' pronunciation so as not to the appear to be the arschloch that I really am.

Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen,  Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, Folksvagen, 

In my opinion, If you have a British or German accent and are over the age of 50 then Porsh-uh sounds correct

Otherwise, Porsh!        

#straya :rolleyes:

Agreed, the only time Porsh-uh sounds any good to me is when an English speaking German says it, in any other language it just doesn't sound the same.

So am I the only one around here who actually likes to pronounce it correctly?

I'm bilingual English/German so every time I hear someone say Porrshhh I cringe...especially if it's a Porrrssshh owner.

Err, yup:ph34r:

You don't hate us too much do you Timm?

Archived