HOW TO PRONOUNCE PORSCHE..for Aussies

Niko

I say Porsch, I just can't bring myself to say Porscha. I think it depends on where you are. I am originally from South Aus, so I say Charnce and Darnce correctly as opposed to New South Welshmen who Chaince and Daince (Chance and Dance). I have French friends who live in Sydney who say they are from Fraince (insert terrible NSW/American accent here) because it is easier to talk like the locals. I am still saying Porsch (and charnce and darnce ;) ).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way I see it is, we say the english version of the original language. God, if we had to say every foreign word that's in our daily lexicon in its native form, we'd be tongue-tied by end of day1. I don't think we must say it the way germans say it, cos that's um... german. So, cringe away our dearly beloved bavarian cousins... cos its 'Porrsch' over here, roit? A single syllable! But hey, if you're in berlin and walk into a dealership, you know what you must say, be thy wanker...

But vart iz zis vanker, u shpik ov??

Oh btw, the yanks do it cos they ARE wankers!

@straya + 1

The way I see it is, we say the english version of the original language. God, if we had to say every foreign word that's in our daily lexicon in its native form, we'd be tongue-tied by end of day1. I don't think we must say it the way germans say it, cos that's um... german. So, cringe away our dearly beloved bavarian cousins... cos its 'Porrsch' over here, roit? A single syllable! But hey, if you're in berlin and walk into a dealership, you know what you must say, be thy wanker...

But vart iz zis vanker, u shpik ov??

Oh btw, the yanks do it cos they ARE wankers!

@straya + 1

But Phil is it Braaaghton or Brighton, surely it's Porschaaa down your wayB)

I can tell you now, if I was to pronounce it like that around some of my mates (who hate my 964 anyway) I would probably be excommunicated. 

my mates excommunicated me for just owning porsches so it doesn't matter how i pronounce it...my mates are A9X, XU1, HDT Group A loving Falcon HO phase 2/3 boys so p-cars have no credibility :(

my mates excommunicated me for just owning porsches so it doesn't matter how i pronounce it...my mates are A9X, XU1, HDT Group A loving Falcon HO phase 2/3 boys so p-cars have no credibility :(

Uncouth peasants!

• 3 weeks later...

"If marque enthusiasts can't be bothered to pronounce things correctly, can they call themselves true enthusiasts?"

At least, that's what I was going to post until I realised I never refer to my VW as a "Folksvargen".

let alone the piles of enthusiasts who say 'Bee em double-u 5 series' instead of 'bee um vay funfer' or any Aussie that owns a 'zed twenty eight camarrrro' instead of a 'zee twenty eight camare-o'.  

When you dig into it omitting the 'eh' on the end of Porsche is actually pretty mild compared to all the other local pronunciations.

According to this vid It is PORSH-EH not PORSH

Well of course they'd say that, its the factory in germany. they speak german, its the way germans say it!  to be correct their text should have read... 

Capture1_zpswnu6y9x0.png

:)

Well of course they'd say that, its the factory in germany. they speak german, its the way germans say it!  to be correct their text should have read... 

Capture1_zpswnu6y9x0.png

:)

Another  opinion;

What Is the Correct Pronunciation of Porsche?

While the “proper” way to pronounce some German terms in English may be debatable, this isn't one of them. Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-uh, not PORSH! Same for the car. You don't say NYKE for Nike, so don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! 

Can you remember when the French automaker Renault still sold cars in North America? (If you're old enough, you may recall Renault's Le Car.) In the early days, Americans pronounced the French name ray-NALT. Just about the time that most of us had learned to say ray-NOH correctly, Renault pulled out of the U.S. market. Given enough time, Americans usually can learn to pronounce most foreign words correctly—if you don't include maitre d' or hors d'oeuvres. So I think there's still hope for Porsche, too.:)

Look, being in braaaghton I'm under a lot of pressure here to keep it real, even though technically I may upset the family in Stuttgart, my mates continue to be so only as long as I don't start eating kale, holidaying in noosa  and start saying Porsch-ah. You don't know what it's like over here! The scrutiny of the filthy rich is tuff. Mugs like me, can only fly under the radar so long. If I start sipping me latte and saying porsch-ah in church st... The rich will flock but me mates will walk!! Oh the pain! ?

Another  opinion;

What Is the Correct Pronunciation of Porsche?

While the “proper” way to pronounce some German terms in English may be debatable, this isn't one of them. Porsche is a family name, and the family members pronounce their surname PORSH-uh, not PORSH! Same for the car. You don't say NYKE for Nike, so don't be lazy and leave off the e in Porsche! 

Well here we actually do say Nyke not Nike-ee. So that looks like a argument in our favour.

Archived