550 Spyder replica

rafikdous

Had issues with the standard exhaust headers hitting the two chassis rails.

Lucky I had a system that will fit the bill. I came across it few months ago. A guy had a type 4 engine in his Ghia and was selling the exhaust. I bought it just in case. Glad I did

IMG_8109.jpg

Have also been playing with different gearbox mounts. Tried few Porsches, VWs, etc. Settled on these which are heavy duty enough and has the correct angle to match the gearbox cross member shape. They are off Commodore VE

Commodore_VE_Engine_Mounts.jpg

Here's a pic of the original 914 headers which I cannot use without mods

IMG_8298.jpg

However the custom system fits perfectly. Will need to run a pair of hotdog mufflers on each side of the gearbox

IMG_8292.jpg

Now that the engine and gearbox mounts are sorted, we turned our attention to the rear suspension

The 914 shockers are too long

IMG_8299.jpg

I only have about 13" or 14" max of height. Did some research and looks like I might have to use ATV shockers. They come in 12" length and adjustable so I will be able to adjust the ride height

They are rated to a maximum weight of 550kg which should be plenty. The total 550 Spyder weight is around 700kg

Edited by rafikdous

• 2 weeks later...

Try Protech or AVO racing shocks come in a variety of lengths ,diameter ,dampening ratings and spring sizes etc .......adjustable pre load and rebound ,,,certain they would have something suited to your needs ..

AVO Australia 
97 Crinan St, 
HURLSTONE PARK NSW 2193, 
AUSTRALIA

Edited by Raven

• 2 years later...