RSK718 replica. Special thread for GUT and LeeM

rafikdous

I am going to post pics rather than long words. Bought it from GUT. I had a very clear vision for it from the minute I saw it. Pulled apart in one week. Off to the panel shop to straighten it up. Modified the doors to open wider, the original hinges were pathetic. Widened the rear. Fitted 356 pedals to improve reach. ditched the original seats. fitted quick release steering so I can get in and out easier. Made a hard top from scratch. Challenged all my skills (fabrication, welding, trimming, etc). Trimmed it myself, check out the gokart seats turned into Speedster style seats. Was my daily driver for 1.5 years. made in few magazines articles including Just Cars, Unique Cars, 356 Registry, etc

Pictures tell the story. Enjoy

DSC06949.jpg

DSC06952.jpg

DSC06950.jpg

DSC06949.jpg

DSC06851.jpg

Stripped

DSC07660.jpg

DSC07663.jpg

Rear getting widened

DSC07671.jpg

DSC07668.jpg

DSC07666.jpg

Where do you find these cars?!

I found it on eBay years ago. Bought it. Not sure why. Life got in the way. It got parked for a few years.

I decided it probably should find a new home. 

I was on melburgluft forum and I think Rafik had put up a wanted ad for a 550 or someone else had. I posted up that I had something a little different in the garage. The rest is history.

Glad it got resurrected.

Yep, GUT responded to my 550 Wanted ad. If you are talking about real finds, my best find so far is a genuine German Polizei 356 which I found in Brisbane of all places. Still waiting resto. Its my next project after the 550 

Apogee, yes it was fully road registered in Vic and the person I sold it to from Qld had it on full rego too

Top looking style, love those 60/70's replica hotrods - please tell me the orange seats (love the colour) didn't go in with the maroon paintwork.....

You'll see how well it turns out mate! I loved that car and wanted to buy it

Yep, GUT responded to my 550 Wanted ad. If you are talking about real finds, my best find so far is a genuine German Polizei 356 which I found in Brisbane of all places. Still waiting resto. Its my next project after the 550 

Apogee, yes it was fully road registered in Vic and the person I sold it to from Qld had it on full rego too

You are a lucky man. I'm envious.

Arse widened

DSC07700.jpg

Over engineered hinges

DSC07794.jpg

Hybrid 356/VW pedal cluster

DSC08333.jpg

Getting ready for paint

DSC07914.jpg

Painted and back home for refit

DSC08306.jpg

Interior nearly ready

DSC07790.jpg

Things are taking shape now

DSCN0024.jpg

Making the hardtop frame from scratch

DSC07681.jpg

Ali cover

IMG_20110215_00239.jpg

weather and sound proofed it

IMG_20110215_00244.jpg

Now the red canvas to match the interior

IMG_20110305_00302.jpg

Add rear Perspex window and she's ready for the Melbourne weather

IMG_20110413_00448.jpg

Add seats, 6 inch rear mangles and 4.5 front. Add couple of extra gauge to keep an eye on eng temp. Get it registered (you should've seen the look on the VicRoads inspector's face) and start rolling in style

Here it is after 6 months of resto

DSC_2303.jpg

DSC_2260.jpg

DSC_0541.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

DSC_2306.jpg

DSC_2260.jpg

And that's a wrap boys, that was 6 months in one day. Sold it after 18 months of driving it around

hope you enjoyed the show

Looking at those pics, make me miss the car

Bloody hell, she's a bewt, maaate!!!  :o If only my garage had a second level with a ramp or something .... "just one more car, honey, honest this is the last one!!"

Forgive me for that line about purple with orange seats, what was I thinking that you had no style... 

• 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

She's back on the market. I sold it for $21k in 2013 (or 2014)

Looks pretty much the same except the seats which have been replaced

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/550/?area=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

Saw it come online a few weeks back, wish I was positioned atm for something like this! Looks a beaut, great work. What's powering it?

1,880cc VW type1 

Honestly, it is not worth $90k. Although I tried my best to improve its drivability, but the kit is not the highest quality. I drove it for 18 months so I know

Its on a full VW pan (for rego purposes) so dimensionally its not close at all to the original. In fact its quite disproportioned

Also lots of body flex

And the 718 is not as popular as a 550. You would struggle to sell a proportionally correct 550 for that much

I reckon it a $40k car at best

The last one sold was from Tassie and sold into Melbourne about a year ago. It was advertised for $26k

Thanks for that info, what's that thread called you were doing last year , engineering work on a 550 or similar? Yes a 550 MCrae would be the go for me but I'd only buy one with a 2.7 or similar P motor, I think there's a couple around

I was wondering if that was the car.

Definitely not a $90k car.

The proportions always bothered me. It’s a foot too long in the middle. Just didn’t work for me.

Though I do much prefer the 718 to a 550 but only in the right proportions.

Someone is just trying the 'Real ones are selling at auction for $3trillion'  sales pitch. Same as the guy trying to sell a Mcrae 550 Spyder who says '$4.6million for a real one' blah blah. 

They're replicas, and fibreglass ones at that, so $90k for this one that is disproportionate to a real RSK is taking the piss. Some bloke is building an all aluminium one in Oz somewhere, so what would that be worth to sell? Same as backdating an SC to be a near perfect clone to a 73RS. Is that worth mega bucks because it LOOKS like a real one? Some people are just blinded by the cash

Archived