11 Blade engine fan

MFX

Jeff

Bad news. They are as rare as rocking horse shit! This is the one really bad bit of my car. The housing has a crack in one of the "arms" and I need to refinish the fan. The best advice I have had so far is to just restore the fan and housing and don't worry about the cracks, because with them in only one arm, the unit won't fail. Some have suggested getting the cracks welded, but that is questionable in terms of ease and finish quality.

The alternative is buying new, which is rather expensive. You need to be careful because while the quality of what is available is OK, some of the manufactured stuff has large brand names cast in, which looks wrong and is annoying. i know somebody who spent hours carefully grinding, sanding a polishing, but I don't want to go there on a new part.

Good luck, but it seems we are in competition!

Edited to say that i am limited to the 3.2 parts because of the size of my alternator. You need to consider which alternator you have and get the right parts.

Jeff

I have a shroud that came with the 2.7 I'm parting out.  The fan with it was a 5 - blader.  I think it was Simon who passed on buying the shroud because it wouldn't fit a 3.2.  P/No is 901 106 101 5R.  PM me if this is OK and you're interested.

Cheers

Rob

Jeff

Bad news. They are as rare as rocking horse shit! This is the one really bad bit of my car. The housing has a crack in one of the "arms" and I need to refinish the fan. The best advice I have had so far is to just restore the fan and housing and don't worry about the cracks, because with them in only one arm, the unit won't fail. Some have suggested getting the cracks welded, but that is questionable in terms of ease and finish quality.

The alternative is buying new, which is rather expensive. You need to be careful because while the quality of what is available is OK, some of the manufactured stuff has large brand names cast in, which looks wrong and is annoying. i know somebody who spent hours carefully grinding, sanding a polishing, but I don't want to go there on a new part.

Good luck, but it seems we are in competition!

Edited to say that i am limited to the 3.2 parts because of the size of my alternator. You need to consider which alternator you have and get the right parts.

Thanks Simon. If I had a cracked 11blade I would repair it for sure, but I am in the same boat as @Rob because I have a 5 blade fan which is basically useless. 

Thanks Rob, I will let you know. Now it may be a case of seeing what fan I can get my hands on before I grab a housing that I still can't get a fan for. I am sure I could adapt a 3.2 fan and housing if that is what I can get. Just need something with more that 5 blades... stupid...grumble...grrr!

May not be quite that simple.  There are 226mm 11 blade fans and the appropriate housing and 245mm fans and the appropriate housing.  Then there are different alternators that require a housing with a specific depth.  Bottom line is be careful if you are getting individual components so they work together.  I think Shaun and Bruce Buchanan use new Vertex components when refurbishing 911 engines - you might want to see if they have something left over.  Or simply pony up the coin for some new Vertex stuff... 

I will look into it. I looked on PP and they only have genuine fans at around US$1100, which sounds super expensive to me. They have a couple of aftermarket fans at Sierra Madre for US$430ish which is much more reasonable. One of them has it's size listed at 245mm which  will probably be too big for @Rob's housing. The other doesn't have a size listed. I will have to check it out.  

I'm not sure the housing outside diameter is different between the two housings - I may be wrong, but it may only be the internal diameters that are different.  I have one of each which I can measure if you want...

I believe that you have to match housing, fan and alternator. I don't think you can take the alternator from a 5 blade fan and use it with an 11 blade fan because the bolt holes don't line up. And I think that the alternator that goes in the smaller 11 blade housing fits the larger one, but not the other way around. Please don't take my word on this and check to be sure. All I know is that I need the bigger 11 blade fan and housing.

I believe that you have to match housing, fan and alternator. I don't think you can take the alternator from a 5 blade fan and use it with an 11 blade fan because the bolt holes don't line up. And I think that the alternator that goes in the smaller 11 blade housing fits the larger one, but not the other way around. Please don't take my word on this and check to be sure. All I know is that I need the bigger 11 blade fan and housing.

Bottom line is, you have to do the research.  At one stage I ended up getting PR Tech to machine the housing to get the alternator to fit.

Bottom line is, you have to do the research.  At one stage I ended up getting PR Tech to machine the housing to get the alternator to fit.

I am thinking the 5 blade alternator would be the smaller one (pure guess) so it should (guessing again) fit. I will go and measure the internal of my fan (and external) and then I suppose I can move forward.

I am thinking the 5 blade alternator would be the smaller one (pure guess) so it should (guessing again) fit. I will go and measure the internal of my fan (and external) and then I suppose I can move forward.

It's not just the size of the alternator. It's also the position of the bolts that hold it in.

Well the good news is I just went and measured the fan and housing and as close as I could measure it is a 245mm 5 blade fan. I couldn't measure the diameter exactly as there is only 5 blades, but it is definitely over 240mm. Sierra Madre do comment that it is an upgrade part that they have for the 5 blade fans, so it is all looking good. Hopefully with the shroud from Rob, and a fan from SM I should be sorted, unless someone else lets me know they have a fan they don't need first.

at least a couple of blokes on here with hairdryers that might help...

Plus a fanboy.

@MFX, funny enough, amongst other things, I was just looking at fans and housings on Design911's website (looking for tail light housings).  They have an aftermarket housing and several fans types, both OEM & non.  AUD$1432 delivered to Australia for a housing & 11 blade fan.

I found these charts on Pelican & Rennlist when I was looking for some fan information in the past.

fanhousingdata1318905900.jpg

ALTERNATORAPPLICATION_2_grande.jpg

That is perfect. That is the sort of info I needed. It looks like this fan http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Engine-Cooling-Fan-911-930-74-89-p15999.html is the correct replacement. In my case it looks like I have a type 30, 75 amp alternator so a fan from an early turbo or a late SC will fit the bill. 

The fan is never the issue. Getting the housing that matches the fan and alternator is where things get difficult or expensive. I think the cheapest I saw one for my car was US$650 plus shipping and that means, in AU$, it is $1100 :o

Edited to say i just found that Design 911 is doing a repro version which will cost $870 delivered. Its still a shed load of money for what it is :(

I think Jeff needs to learn some foundry skills and cast your own.:D Can't be that hard can it, make a mould, melt some metal and pour it in.;)

I just need to get another 5 blade fan, cut the blades of and weld them onto mine. It will only be a 10 blade fan but that would be a heap better than 5 :D 

Archived