My Boxster Idea

Al

Been having thoughts of a cheap Boxster, slammed with steelies. I wizzed up this quick pic yesterday in my smoko and thought it looked alright. Might as well share it with you.

I'd probably rebarrel the steelies in real life for a deeper set look. Then park it at Kmart for a while to get some Patina on it (i.e.. door dents and scratches). Then just enjoy a care free Porsche.

BoxsterSteeliesLowered.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st gen boxsters are starting to grow on me. Its a great design in my opinion. Im all for it. Been thinking something similar also. Get a cheap boxster and gut it as much as possible to get the weight down. Interior, sound deadening, A/C, everything thats not mandatory so its raw as possible. Wake up 4am, hit the twisties in the winter time with a jacket & beanie on, keep the revs, momentum up at high as possible and enjoy the rawness.

haha. glad it's not just me thinkin this is cool.

We can pretend to be James Dean.

Let's do it and get some underground/outlaw/raw/beater boxsters going. Now which one of my 6 cars can I sell. There's no way I can take on a 7th! Something must go.

I was just thinking the same thing after seeing a Mcrae 550 replica at Buik Motorworks 30 minutes ago.. Maybe some 550 Spyder decals on the front and rear guards in red if its a silver car. If you're going to do it, go nuts!  A few stickers won't go astray

546b23ede69c8_-_roa010114fea_mille002-lg

forums.pelicanparts.com-12234-1324596429

Let's do it and get some underground/outlaw/raw/beater boxsters going. Now which one of my 6 cars can I sell. There's no way I can take on a 7th! Something must go.

7 is the magical number amongst enthusiast collectors. I had 7,  but down to 6 right now.
Don't sell the Volvo!

I just checked on Carsales and the cheapest one is $12000, silver and a manual.

That's got to be a good candidate for a conversion. I'm starting  to like this idea......

What specs do we think could be done to this to have a great looking car?

I like the idea of the rear grills, wheels, seats, steering wheel, twin exhaust, some exterior graphics......

Let's get our thinking caps on Boys......

Cheers,

Geoff.  

2017 is the year of the poverty spec Boxster! Were there ANY specced in this dealer unfriendly fashion?
If so , they could be as valuable as a "sunroof delete" 911.
Watch the prices of old 986s go mental , all thanks to Al :D

someone gotta take the fall...

though Al, gut the interior, strip it raw, delete everything including windows, maybe a set of B-50 inspired seats, cut down the front screen ... how low n light can ya go 

Pelican thread

• Remove the entire heating and air conditioning system

• Remove window regulators/support braces in doors

• Replace glass with Lexan

• Replace decklids and doors with fiberglass

• Remove most interior components (carpet, door panels, interior trim)

• Remove undercoating on the chassis

• Replace the drivers/passenger seat with a lightweight one

• Move or replace the battery with a lighter one (Porsche has a brand new Lithium-ion battery that just came out for the GT3)

• Remove any unnecessary components from the front trunk (spare, jack, etc.)

• Remove the DOT bumpers and replace them with fiberglass

• Remove stereo system, amplifier and speakers

• Remove the convertible top and replace it with a fiberglass hard top

• Drill brake rotors

• Remove power mirrors

@Al, consider your boat officially floating. 

Actually, i think it's a great idea. Kind of like a new age 550.  With a bit of planning it could be something quite unique. Definitely has to be silver with a stripped out interior. Seats in red tuck and roll, no carpets, and ditch the folding roof. You might have just started a trend, you urban outlaw you.

Been thinking the same.  $12k Boxster in the right colour combo and drop some HP into it.  What options are there with engines.  Later 3.4S?  Can you make a GT3 drivetrain work in these?

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-1998/SSE-AD-191747

How about a turbocharged 928 donk?

http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/09/twin-turbo-v8-porsche-boxster/

Perhaps I should quit my job and make outlaw boxsters. I need helpers.

oh dear, I hope I havent made the prices go beserk! I better get one asap. Maybe we should keep this semi quiet?

Nothing against boxters, the look has aged well and they're probably already usable fun twisties car than the GT3. GT3 lower control arms are bolt on, as do the GT3 bucket seats. Extracting any sort of power is where things get expensive. I agree, making it as light as possible is probably the best option. I'd love a stripped out one with some GT3 seats and a set of wheels. FG hardtop would be the way to go in order to rid the car of the hairdresser status. 

Sandpaper, surface rust and sundamage should rid that hairdresser look.

There was (and probably still is) a red boxster for $9000 on gumtree. But yes would prefer silver.

I like the idea of this being done as cheap as possible and simply enjoying that flat 6 sound. I couldn't be bothered chasing more power other than by striping it out.. good idea that!

Loud exhaust a must for ultimate flat 6 pleasure!

Archived