Gaming Hardware

Okrasa Kid

Posted this on an earlier thread re Assetto Corsa but thought it warranted a new topic

Can I kindly get an idea of what hardware you are all using?

My teenager boy and I are all over this game and brought the Porsche pack (wow!) but we are using the hand held controller and are way in the double digits with our laptimes on the Ring.

Really hard to battle with oversteer without over correcting on the hand held!

We are looking at getting a driving simulator and all the kit and are interesting in what people would recommend. 

I assume you're just talking about wheel? Logitech G29 is probably the best bang for your buck. If you want to go cheaper, you could go for a 2nd hand G27. I use a G27 which I've had for about 5 years and it's as good as the day I bought it. Just check compatibility with the other hardware you're using but it should be fine.

You could do this... :rolleyes:

racing_setup.thumb.jpg.d5dcc6d31cab710dd

I am running Fantec gear, it is a decent "mid" level kit (you own a porsche...) otherwise the G29 is probably the best entry level option http://cplonline.com.au/homepage-new/logitech-g29-driving-force-racing-wheel-for-ps4-ps3-941-000115.html

PC wise monty188 is right, primary investment is in a good graphics card - just get any 10 series Nvidia card and you should be ok for a few years.  

I'm in Melbourne, happy to get anyone addicted if you want a test run - great Sunday night entertainment with zero damage cost.

Generally have a server up running various Porsche cars with a few mates, if you are interested PM me and I will share the password.

You could do this... :rolleyes:

racing_setup.thumb.jpg.d5dcc6d31cab710dd

I am running Fantec gear, it is a decent "mid" level kit (you own a porsche...) otherwise the G29 is probably the best entry level option http://cplonline.com.au/homepage-new/logitech-g29-driving-force-racing-wheel-for-ps4-ps3-941-000115.html

PC wise monty188 is right, primary investment is in a good graphics card - just get any 10 series Nvidia card and you should be ok for a few years.  

I'm in Melbourne, happy to get anyone addicted if you want a test run - great Sunday night entertainment with zero damage cost.

Generally have a server up running various Porsche cars with a few mates, if you are interested PM me and I will share the password.

nice setup AB. What game are you running with your mates?

Have been doing rFactor2 for a few years however we are starting to migrate to Assetto Corsa. AC is still not as easy to configure and host servers as rF2 but the newer content is very, very good. 

Generally have AC up Monday to Friday.

Hi, my humble opinion (for what it's worth)

some many years on-line racing (GPlegends-Rfactor 1 and 2, Assetto Corsa, PCars, and now looking into IRACING with new Porsche content on the horizon)

I am using FANATEC products (old ones + 5 years) and I don't know if they are quite up to scratch with new games.

I haven't tried new FANATEC wheels, but I have recently tried IRACING with a home made motor driven (direct drive) wheel (as opposed to a belt driven wheel...FANATEC and Logitech) and it is a so much better...literally no deadzone....

I think you can tune 'out' the deadzone  a bit but its always going to be there.

pick a budget figure and work to that....(the homemade wheel i used was $$$$$), Logitechs and FANATECS second hand are maybe $200+

regarding how you replicate the race view....I think (bigger is better) certainly for immersion factor..find a decent projector instead of triple screens, and save your money for Oculus RIFT (or its price friendly competitor when ever it comes to the market)....The projector doesn't give you super clear image..but a big screen (scaling the view to 1:1)makes a big difference in my opinion. 

I learned Lakeside and QR on the simulator in RFactor....and I do think it made a positive difference, certainly in my first trackdays at the real circuit. 

Assetto Corsa is good for Graphics, and the physics are improving..

RFactor 2 has better physics, and the content and graphics are improving but seem not to be up to the level of AC

IRACING really has great physics, perhaps the best of the lot...

I agree with you on the projector Tony. There is nothing like screen size. I went from a 24" pc monitor to a 120" projector screen and the immersion difference is wow! Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally are my currents favs.

I would also not rule out the trusty Logitech G25 wheel as it has perhaps the most flexibility re transmission options. It has traditional 6 speed manual, sequential shift and paddle shift. Most current wheels don't have sequential shift (e.g. for rally cars) to my knowledge.

Running an Obutto R3volution seat + T500 RS wheel and pedals + TH8 shifter + Oculus Rift VR setup.

It's the bees knees.

@AB_981 have you considered switching to VR from triples?

Have a mate who has set up VR, will immersive there are too many compromises, it is still early days for the hardware and software.  I do see this as a viable future (and SWMBO would like to get some space back) but probably a generation or tow of technology away.

There is a guy on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMq2WaD78Y3-XTj7HDskkRw) who is doing some pretty crazy "mixed" reality stuff.  That is a bit extreme.

AB

I agree It is early for VR but it is pretty immersive.

In Assetto Corsa, it is a novelty to get our of you virtual car and walk around it in the pits.

Triple screens give a better FOV , but VR does put you "in" the car.

• 4 months later...

This should fix the field of view issues for many 49 inch monitor

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-qh90-super-ultra-wide-329-monitor-photos-2017-6/?utm_content=bufferffed8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi%2F&r=AU&IR=T/#heres-what-a-game-looks-like-in-the-regular-169-aspect-ratio-4

Im just gonna have to go try one of these setups.. Colin McCrae rally is the the depth of my exposure..  Spent 25 yrs building computing systems and alike and vowed I would never come home and touch a computer.. let alone go back to a PC….Times change..maybe this is a good excuse.

I dont think the couch and the laptop is gonna cut it ..

Archived