Wide Body Hotrod Build

Don't forget royal purple! 

ps.  I was totally against Bahama yellow, but went with it because the car was boring in silver, was hard to see on a track and it was the original colour (and an Aussie car).  Super happy with it now.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fraise - not many images out there I trust, and even if you can find them its such a hard colour to pin down as it changes with the light so much.  It's definitely a contender as it's very rare, period correct-ish, and an IROC colour.  It will need to look mean as fk not look a little ghey, but that can be done.  Raspberry is another step into the pink abyss

From this thread see the below images - page 10 onwards.  Varies so much with light and frankly it's fairly full on

Some nice oranges...

Some Bahama Yellow that captures how deep and rich and almost brown and orange it can be...

OH THANKS...Another build thread I have to read! :P I'll never get to bed..

It's in the queue after this one...

PS:...As revenge, I offer you this thread...

So, the other consideration is what the build will be based on.  I think it's really dangerous to just build 'what you want', and it all needs to anchor off 'something' and I guess the judgment is what things are OK to go your own way with, and what not.  You might say one needs a high level guiding philosophy.  So at the highest level I see 3 ways to go as follows, as I'm not into 964 or 993 RS and GT cars.

1. S/T
  2. '73 RSR
  3. '74 RSR / IROC

Now the nomenclature nazis will probably tell me I've got the model designations wrong but I think we all know what we're talking about.

I'm not going to faithfully replicate anything, but there will be a base (1 of 3) and each decision will be firstly referenced back to that car and then a decision will be made as to whether the detail is retained, or done my way.  Only the final product will prove each judgment right or wrong. 

The car comes with 'longhood' fibreglass flared front guards, bumpers and a converted short to longhood frunnket (front trunk bonnet?).  So, it's set up for the first 2 options above but at this stage the third option is my preference.  Just a matter of how the longhood thing settles on me and how much it'll cost to flip everything out to shorthood.

As it stands I'm a bit over the longhood thing, so that kind of tells me a lot.  As I'm over Singers too, I reckon that puts the S/T out of the game, but so often I'll see a new longhood image (S/T or RSR) and it will take my breath away.....

Finally the colour choice will be influenced quite a bit by the anchor car choice.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%202.00.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%201.51.5

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%201.31.2

You might be right, but one has to shake these things out a little.

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Need to ensure you turn around every time you get out of it.

For me it's an ST every day, but like you said it's what 'you' want. Longhood 'aint your thing, so.....well really there is no so ;) 

I would agree that you need a design brief, it's how detailed that is the question? I would suggest that there are also clues within the donor that could help you make these decisions. The final outcome might have that little more substance if it's a combination of doing something faithful to not only your vision but combines some history of the car? It can also ensure that yours is unique and not just another cliche hot rod so to speak.

Very exciting project though, looking forward to seeing it unfold! 

^ thanks Hugh. I agree with what you say, wise words, and the build sheet will be very detailed. Working hard on it right now.

Last it was registered was in SA in 2007 and it was purple, so is that what you mean by following the history of the car?!

One thing to look at with converting back to the IROC thing, is have a look at the rear end. There is an extra panel on the rear that the reflector on the 'G' series cars bolts to. That gets cut off with a back date, so if you go forward you would have to source that and weld it back on. I may have mine kicking around somewhere if you need it, but I kid of hacked it a bit when I took it off. 

Converting the front back is pretty easy. You could probably just cut off the front of your long bonnet and you can either chop off the bottom end of the front guards and re-fibreglass them, or just swap them out for other FG guards. 

One thing to look at with converting back to the IROC thing, is have a look at the rear end. There is an extra panel on the rear that the reflector on the 'G' series cars bolts to. That gets cut off with a back date, so if you go forward you would have to source that and weld it back on. I may have mine kicking around somewhere if you need it, but I kid of hacked it a bit when I took it off. 

Converting the front back is pretty easy. You could probably just cut off the front of your long bonnet and you can either chop off the bottom end of the front guards and re-fibreglass them, or just swap them out for other FG guards. 

On that note....please, NOT another longhood

good tip and if your hacked up piece is available I'll take it for sure. Good tip re the front guards and the frunnket is just a matter, as you say, of a Jeff style grinder to take it back to original as the 'long' part of the hood is just 'glass.

good tip and if your hacked up piece is available I'll take it for sure. Good tip re the front guards and the frunnket is just a matter, as you say, of a Jeff style grinder to take it back to original as the 'long' part of the hood is just 'glass.

You'll probably find an easy trade with someone wanting go from short to long... helps both sides out...

Thanks to P-Kay who sent me a list of factory '76 colours.  I've gone through them all and the only ones I consider interesting are:

• Hellgelb
  • Gelbgrun
  • Karminrot
  • Continentalorange

Is Karminrot Carmine Red?

Anyhow I don't think even these are for me, so this is not likely to be an anchor for the build.

OH THANKS...Another build thread I have to read! :P I'll never get to bed..

It's in the queue after this one...

PS:...As revenge, I offer you this thread...

Silver RSR thread is off its head. I've read all 80 pages and it's mind blowing. That is true attention to detail. I'll be cutting a lot more corners than that build did. There are some really cool details on that build that I could quite easily adopt...

And the middle blue above is Zenith and unsure of the others but my car won't be them, nice as they are.

Archived