996 C2 Manual Coupe Values

A friend of mine is looking to get into a 911, he wants to get a nice manual 996 Carrera Coupe...

Last time I looked last year, there looked to be clean cars in good colour schemes for mid-high 30s. Currently these same cars look like they're wanting mid 50s+

I just wanted to get some opnions on the matter, if anyone has a nice car they want to sell for a realistic price then let me know too.

Thanks. 

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sold my series 2 coupe manual a few months back for low $60's.

I would say good cars in the right spec have risen a little...

I bought mine for $65k 4.5 years earlier.  I would say somewhere in the middle it would have been a $45-$50k car, so to come out at $62k would suggest so.

Cars that were mid/high $30's would have generally been series 1 cars, so I'll assume that's what he's looking for...

I think with patience a decent car in the high $30s/mid $40s can still be had.

Some C4's pop up a little cheaper, as do tips n cabs, and be aware of imports too.

They really are a great car and still very good buying for a 911.

The supposed "issues" are really peanuts to correct compared to money spent maintaining and correcting aircooled cars, making the stigma of a 996 a moot point in my opinion.

I've had mine for nearly a year and was looking for just over a year before I found it. I paid mid 50's for an 04 / C2 Manual - Black / Black. The car was advertised for closer to 60k. The previous guy put new a new alternator / full service / detail to make sure it was running and looking the best it could be before handing it over. Even filled the tank up with fuel for the first leg of my journey home. Bought in Melbourne and drove it back to Sydney.

I did come across a right couple of twats as well during the hunt but it's all part of the game.

There is definitely less out there than there was a year ago - but I was quite specific in what I wanted.

Think I missed the boat on the mid 30's cars - but I have not seen a mk2 manual for that price - I'm assuming people are talking Mk1 or tip / cabs.

I think a mk2 that's been looked after with regular service etc will be early 5's to low 6's...imho.

If your mate could find an early MK1 / throttle cable - PPI the shite out of it and spend the money saved over purchasing a mk2 on a freshen up wouldn't be a bad call either.

Jim.

A friend of mine is looking to get into a 911, he wants to get a nice manual 996 Carrera Coupe...

Last time I looked last year, there looked to be clean cars in good colour schemes for mid-high 30s. Currently these same cars look like they're wanting mid 50s+

I just wanted to get some opnions on the matter, if anyone has a nice car they want to sell for a realistic price then let me know too.

Thanks. 

Take a look at this one at the Healey factory, I've had a good look at it and it appears in really good shape and from memory the k's were around 100. Black on black, a handful of options, bearing done, drive away price, been for sale for a few months, and would be out the door under 50k I am sure - they are good people to deal with. Can't remember ever seeing any 96 man coupes for sale in high 30's other than the odd few c4's with changed engines, import, WOVR etc. They've certainly moved over the year..

http://www.healeyfactory.com.au/listing/2000-porsche-911-996-coupe/

SN3430-14.jpg&w=436&h=300&zc=1&q=90

I'm on the hunt for a Series 1 Cab in either a tip or manual at the moment so I'm keeping my eye on the market.

The pride guide for coupes in Manual 

Series 1 - ~45k

Series 2 - ~60k

Depending on KM/Colour combo +/- a few thousand.

I would say prices are up about 15-20% on 12 months ago.

Not many cars listed at the moment, it could be a slow period in the year also.

If his after a Series 2 car he should consider spending extra and get a 997.

From what I have seen asking prices for low km (<100,000km) 996.1 manual coupes (C2 and C4) have stayed about the same for the last year, ie low to mid-$50k. 

Only those with >150,000km and/or imports have dropped below $40,000. A good example is https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1999/SSE-AD-4202166

996's have definitely gone up in price and will still be going up.

With the way things look some OZ cars may end up in Europe if their prices continue to rise as they have over the last year. UK and French markets seem to be jumping up each month. Top end of the market is now above £30,000 for mk2 manual coupes with some extreme low models <50000km being closer to £35,000. Same time last year and we were taking 15k less.

Meanwhile in the US market its now getting difficult to find any high mileage mk1 cars under $10k. Not the long ago you could find plenty down to $7k. Top end of the market mid 30's but they're probably dreaming considering very decent examples can easily be had for around 20. Overall it looks like their market has moved up almost 5k in the last year.

Both markets high prices are now mixing with low end 997 prices which we've yet to see over here. Either 997 prices need to drop a bit more or 996's will move with the top end stabalizing around 80, with a few cars already being listed in the 70's at the moment on carsales.

We may see some frenzied buying late in the year around december all over the world which will push prices to where I'm speculating here. 

As above, when on the hunt last year the only 'cheap' Mk1 manual that I considered was 39k - 1999, silver on dark blue with no noteable options, about 110k.. I snagged a really nice Mk1 1, black on black manual, < 100k, coil overs, brakes etc for half a ton.  The IMS solution was installed with a new clutch etc.

I think to find anything decent for in the high 30's just isn't going to happen.  

There has been some nice examples of late for around the 50k mark..

nCsIqJS.png

Thanks so much for the feedback!! Sorry, I wasn't clear about mk1/2, I think he's keeping his options open but I was talking about mk1s that I saw myself earlier in 2016. 

I can completely understand why they're coming back up, such a great car to drive and were probably too cheap for what they offer you. I don't mind the headlights either...I sort of personally feel drawn to a 996.2 C2 over a 997 C2 for some reason...

It's good to see which way the market is heading, should give him confidence to spend more and find a better example I think

996.1/2 and early '05 997.1 vs late '05 onwards 997.1 you can at least switch the IMS.

996.1 vs 996.2 besides styling the only real difference is that the .1 has a bit more of a peaky engine but is just slightly down on the horses.

If he's smart about which model then he should be able to not loose money with the current trend and even fit an IMS in there.

Have been watching the green aerokitted one (linked above) with interest, wondering if it is the fact it's a UK import or is it the Green / Savannah combo which is scaring off the buyers?  I'm going for the colour combo but what do others think?  

Have been watching the green aerokitted one (linked above) with interest, wondering if it is the fact it's a UK import or is it the Green / Savannah combo which is scaring off the buyers?  I'm going for the colour combo but what do others think?  

Avon I think it's the combination of 'everything' - green in mid modern cars not sought after and hard to sell, import take 10k off, redone interior leather for some reason and woodgrain both a negative, although the gt3 wheels and kit add some $$$ back in this case. BUT you'd have to live with the baby shit mustard interior, I'd have to wear rose coloured glasses not only driving bu entering the garage! Oh and a big question here and I'm no mechanic ""new RMS and IMS checked"" so you put in a new rear main seal and not the IMS bearing as well? When motors out and that stuff is apart well you do the right thing. And I may be wrong but I'm not sure you can "check" the bearing, and if it's apart and a physical and visual check, well just change the damn thing

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera 996 Manual

I think the mid range to top end 996 market has been fairly stable for awhile but have seen consistently low 30k cars and even the high   20k  car starting to pop up but like Trev said anything well speced is always going to command a good price on the used market.

I think the mid range to top end 996 market has been fairly stable for awhile but have seen consistently low 30k cars and even the high   20k  car starting to pop up but like Trev said anything well speced is always going to command a good price on the used market.

Tiptronics? I suspect a low 30k to high 20k manual C2 coupe would be an instant sale.

I've been watching the prices since I bought mine (~2+ years ago) and have watched them climb for MKII 996s and as people have mentioned there is a premium for manual coupes. I recall seeing MKII cars (manual/coupe) as low as 35k I dont think we won't see that again. For that money it seems that only MKI manuals or MKII tiptronic/cabs can be had.

Maybe 996.1 prices are on the up - Lorbek asking $54k for a C4 with 120,000km. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to move. There were two with much lower kms and full leather with similar asking recently

https://carsales.mobi/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2000/OAG-AD-14147959

As above, when on the hunt last year the only 'cheap' Mk1 manual that I considered was 39k - 1999, silver on dark blue with no noteable options, about 110k.. I snagged a really nice Mk1 1, black on black manual, < 100k, coil overs, brakes etc for half a ton.  The IMS solution was installed with a new clutch etc.

I think to find anything decent for in the high 30's just isn't going to happen.  

There has been some nice examples of late for around the 50k mark..

nCsIqJS.png

Is this something you regularly put together or was it just when you were looking for your car? Good work!

Is this something you regularly put together or was it just when you were looking for your car? Good work!

Just for when I was on the hunt, and the car I got isn't on the list.!

Archived