Carrera 3.0 market watch

In regard to comparisons with the SC I understand the SC came in 3 specifcations over the years with increasing power with each release.  The tangible differences with the earlier SC would seem to appear more apparent.  I'm not 100% sure if the figures quoted below are for Aussie delivered cars.

- MY 1978-79 - 3.0 litres, 180 hp
- MY 1980 - 3.0 litres, 188 hp
- MY 1981-83 - 3.0 litres, 204 hp

I am still to organise a swap/comparison drive of a C3 / early SC / 3.2 with some of the Melb crew of the Canberra trip.  However I still don't thnk this will give a definitive answer on driver differences as age, maintenance and upkeep will now be big factors in cars approaching 40 yo.

Going back to the OP, I think the market has decided that this car is over priced at this point in time.  I am pretty sure it was also listed briefly earlier in 2016. 

Edited by D-banger

In regard to comparisons with the SC I understand the SC came in 3 specifcations over the years with increasing power with each release.  The tangible differences with the earlier SC would seem to appear more apparent.  I'm not 100% sure if the figures quoted below are for Aussie delivered cars.

- MY 1978-79 - 3.0 litres, 180 hp
- MY 1980 - 3.0 litres, 188 hp
- MY 1981-83 - 3.0 litres, 204 hp

I am still to organise a swap/comparison drive of a C3 / early SC / 3.2 with some of the Melb crew of the Canberra trip.  However I still don't thnk this will give a definitive answer on driver differences as age, maintenance and upkeep will now be big factors in cars approaching 40 yo.

Going back to the OP, I think the market has decided that this car is over priced at this point in time.  I am pretty sure it was also listed briefly earlier in 2016. 

Patience, Dougie.  We can swap keys once I eventually get my SC out to play.  (You may have to fight to get yours back?)

My first 911 drive was a C3. I was hooked.  The engine was extremely willing to rev and made for a thrilling drive.  My 180hp SC in comparison doesn't have the same urgency. 

A good C3 will always be a better prospect over an SC and prices should reflect that. 

True Doug, the early ROW and the US and Japan delivered cars were lower powered. 

I deliberately quoted the later '81 to '83 SC specification because I wanted Roy to work at his assertion that c3.0 are vastly superior to SC's.

As for the camshaft timing, according to Bruce Anderson, the cams are all the same, so the feel of the engines and the minor, almost immeasurable differences in power and torque - Bruce actually quotes torque figures that are much closer than the Porsche ones I quoted above - must be just a combination of crank weights and CIS/ignition tune. 

And yes the valve sizes are the same too.

I would think the 40kg weigh difference would be the greatest influence on "feel".  The brake booster and the different heating/ventilation setup would make up a fraction of that but what other differences would make up the rest of the weight difference?

Your plan to do back to back drives should be a fun day, especially if you have more than one example of each as the variation across each model due to condition and individual setup might be as great as the variation between models.

In the end I don't think there is an answer to which is the best car because it is so dependent on how each individual weighs their selection criteria.  Is rarity important?  Is having the coolest model badge in Porsche history worth something? Or is having virtually the same car for 2/3 the price important, especially for most it's the difference between having a G series or not?   

Edited by Peter M

Did that already. A few times ... she's a tolerant woman. 

I did that once and in my experience it doesn't pay off, short or long term.  I've come clean every time since and it's never failed.  That said I'm a big believer in in seeking forgiveness in preference to permission...but perhaps not with the wife, and not with high $$ purchases! 

The beauty of this type of debate is there is no answer so we'll either get bored or this thread will go forever.  Comes down to preference.  3.o is rare, but that doesn't necessarily make it better (and I see no objective reasons as to why chalk and cheese but never driven a 3.o), and when price is factored in it becomes a harder value proposition to defend.  It will always be worth more than an SC, but for me I'd rather have my SC, with its up coming 260hp zingy engine and WEVO goodness, with $40k change, any day of the week.  But that's just me.  I don't particularly care for rareness, I just want the nicest car to drive, for the least amount of money and to enjoy it and so long as I get my money back when I'm done, I'm happy.  Each to their own and it depends on what you value.

Q. To All punters ... you got the equal pic of cars (C3-SC) let's say they're both mocha black and similarly priced the major difference being the C3 owner a wanker,  the SC slightly less so... which one do ya buy and why ...??? 

Edited by michel

True Doug, the early ROW and the US and Japan delivered cars were lower powered. 

I deliberately quoted the later '81 to '83 SC specification because I wanted Roy to work at his assertion that c3.0 are vastly superior to SC's.

As for the camshaft timing, according to Bruce Anderson, the cams are all the same, so the feel of the engines and the minor, almost immeasurable differences in power and torque - Bruce actually quotes torque figures that are much closer than the Porsche ones I quoted above - must be just a combination of crank weights and CIS/ignition tune. 

And yes the valve sizes are the same too.

I would think the 40kg weigh difference would be the greatest influence on "feel".  The brake booster and the different heating/ventilation setup would make up a fraction of that but what other differences would make up the rest of the weight difference?

Your plan to do back to back drives should be a fun day, especially if you have more than one example of each as the variation across each model due to condition and individual setup might be as great as the variation between models.

In the end I don't think there is an answer to which is the best car because it is so dependent on how each individual weighs their selection criteria.  Is rarity important?  Is having the coolest model badge in Porsche history worth something? Or is having virtually the same car for 2/3 the price important, especially for most it's the difference between having a G series or not?   

Indeed it comes down to personal preference and that's why we all don't own the same type of Porsche / 911.

I'm certainly not here to try and convince people to like one more than the other. I'm simply saying there are differences (perhaps in favour of the C.30 over the SC) that maybe not a lot of people recognise. Granted they are a small list of differences, but when they add up it can make one car more desirable over the other, and that's now being reflected in the asking / selling prices globally. 

Excluding rarity (which is always a factor in market values), the counter argument for those who prefer the SC could be because the differences aren't great enough to justify the difference in price. EG. I could almost buy 2 SC's over a C.30. Fair enough...

A lot of 911's models have now become celebrated moments in time. For me the Carrera 3.0 is one of them. And the article I quoted also states that.

Back to the Carrera 3.0 market discussion, here's another one that's just been listed. It also has a part tartan interior (I wonder if it is original) and typical for the 76 Carrera 3.0...blue carpet.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4465565?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

Back to the Carrera 3.0 market discussion, here's another one that's just been listed. It also has a part tartan interior (I wonder if it is original) and typical for the 76 Carrera 3.0...blue carpet.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4465565?WT.seg_4=AutoAlert;PCAA

looks to be originally a sporto car 4th number in the engine number is 9 = sporto 

id still have it over a L to R converted one or an SC

Interesting price strategy on the second car.  You have 2 seemingly similar cars on the market with first at $169k and second comes on at $125.5.

Does this suggest that the gold car is a motivated seller or just that this is where he thinks true valuation is at.

Is colour such a big factor?

Interesting price strategy on the second car.  You have 2 seemingly similar cars on the market with first at $169k and second comes on at $125.5.

Does this suggest that the gold car is a motivated seller or just that this is where he thinks true valuation is at.

Is colour such a big factor?

Maybe great vs very average.. he does say service history patchy and far from complete (and he may be dressing that up a bit) and I don't see matching numbers mentioned anywhere, also ks are up there with only the briefest mention "Previous maintenance work on Mechanicals". That could be just repairing small things here n there. factoring in those applied discounts, maybe it's priced correctly for a sale or maybe a nice bargain :rolleyes: Have to go see!

A little 3L hype

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/meet-unsung-porsche-911-bridges-two-1970s-zuffenhausen-legends?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0032017%20Golden%20Boy%20E&utm_content=0032017%20Golden%20Boy%20E%20CID_a6a84db085b6d0677c981f1f5ace56a9&utm_source=newsletter

What happened to that German delivered (RHD converted from LHD) metallic green carrera 3.0? Think it last appeared at the Autoclassica auction but did not sell? Was a great looking car and owned by a forum member I think.

You mean this one? https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1977/SSE-AD-4411060/?Cr=18

Maybe great vs very average.. he does say service history patchy and far from complete (and he may be dressing that up a bit) and I don't see matching numbers mentioned anywhere, also ks are up there with only the briefest mention "Previous maintenance work on Mechanicals". That could be just repairing small things here n there. factoring in those applied discounts, maybe it's priced correctly for a sale or maybe a nice bargain :rolleyes: Have to go see!

He does say its original engine.  Aust del, matching engine, cool colour, cool trim - ticks a lot of boxes.

link doesn't seem to work for me ... but that looks like one of Kane Hearn's C3's

lime metallic is very bright in comparison. I have been told someone in Mlb now owns it

Edited by michel

Yeah well he NOW says it's the original engine - after he added the below paragraph in yesterday or today!-_- Three days ago no mention of it - or the sporto conversion that was picked up on here 3 days back re vin...

This Australian delivered 1976 Carerra 3.0 Litre Coupe left the factory in December 1975 as a Sporto-matic . It is now a 5 speed manual and that is what I believed I owned . This information has only come to my attention today on the 9th of January . Please don't ask when it happened or who arranged it as I honestly don't know . Today , the 10th of January , I have personally checked both the Chassis / Body # and the Engine # which clearly show the car has its original engine and that the Chassis/Body # is the car I am offering. I have added photos taken for interest .

link doesn't seem to work for me ... but that looks like one of Kane Hearn's C3's

lime metallic is very bright in comparison. I have been told someone in Mlb now owns it

The carsales ad in my link and photo below is a German conversion, which matches the Brisbane car, that was then sold for cheap at Motorclassica and is now for sale again on carsales for the original Brisbane asking brice (now located in Melbourne). 

cp5269146842639426813.jpg?aspect=FitWith

The carsales ad in my link and photo below is a German conversion, which matches the Brisbane car, that was then sold for cheap at Motorclassica and is now for sale again on carsales for the original Brisbane asking brice (now located in Melbourne). 

cp5269146842639426813.jpg?aspect=FitWith

there two C3's at the motoclassica gucci loafer love in? 

Call ne toto.. but that surely ain't lime metallic