Carrera 3.0 market watch

Yup, I remembered wrong, apologies. This car looks familiar though. 

should be the 1st and last unspoken rule of #pfafightclub - never apologise ... you remember correct though Kane Hearn owner car I think. Stockpiled a few 

Bloody similar photo too

should be the 1st and last unspoken rule of #pfafightclub - never apologise ... you remember correct though Kane Hearn owner car I think. Stockpiled a few 

Bloody similar photo too

I take back my apology. Nice C3 this one, preferred Viper Metallic one though!

What are people's thoughts on engine prices themselves between say an 81' 204HP SC engine and a 77' Carrera 3.0 engine?

I have a C3 in my SC as some here may know. Keen to know more on donk values.

What are people's thoughts on engine prices themselves between say an 81' 204HP SC engine and a 77' Carrera 3.0 engine?

I have a C3 in my SC as some here may know. Keen to know more on donk values.

I'd say it depends on the condition of the C3 engine its self... wouldn't be a huge price difference between a good SC & good C3 donk...

A C3 engine from Queensland just sold, into the U.S. I believe. I can't confirm but I do not think it went to a matching VIN. The ask was US$21k, so we have a decent updated price point. Best guess that would be about double an SC engine? 

ask or the purchase. Had a chat with the seller  when it was listed. Including the US would be one of the least nuanced markets for anything C3.0 . That said some numbty might have ponied up large for it... if so gives good perspective to the carrera mfi engine on eBay for 95,000

I picked up the emphasis, my chat wasn't with interest in buying, but felt sorry for the gent as he seemed bewildered why little to no US interest at the time, and at 21k plus shipping for an 'SC' motor, no wonder.

i wouldn't be putting down 21k less 10% for an unknown engine (seller had no idea on cond) ,  makes no sense unless you had a C3 with an SC motor, the C3 that had the matching vin or, you had some race class that needed it... even still 18k +- for a core is weird man maths...

IMO if a seller is chasing big money for something, unless it's just so rare , then as a seller do a bit of leg work, to make sense of the value in the transaction. 

You speak in riddles, so it's a bit hard to follow your logic. You feel sorry for him because he just sold an engine for us$21k less 10%!! My discussion with him I got a good feel for the history and condition. Maybe he doesn't like dealers mr leg work. 

If the seller actually got 21k for the motor kudos to him. But if it was I'd say not because he produced a build sheet or numbers to support its cond. as no one here bought it including yourself it appears there wasn't apparent value.

Old motor no solid bonafides I'll send you details for two more .

as for leg  work, I walk at least a 1000 steps a day.. try it good for mind body soul ?

I understand that the Carrera 3.0 was not sold new into the US market.

correct.

And interesting to note production numbers..

"During its short two year life span, only 3687 cars were built – a tiny amount compared to nearly 58,000 911SCs and 76,500 3.2 Carreras produced. Of these 2564 were coupes and only 1123  produced in Targa format, and only a very small number were manufactured in RHD"

No doubt rarity helped get that good price on the recent c3 engine sale.

Edited by Al

Point is C3 interesting car in porsche history and a flag ship model eclipsed in the day by a 3.0 maelstrom.. low numbers a pukka carrera and can come thx to the blessed 70's in some pretty Jubie colours

For many who got what they want or, not hankering for some extra AH driveday cred an 'ordinary' SC more than suffices

@Al your numbers, tell you how many were delivered mocha black? 

So, what's a C3 worth with an SC engine in it. I found one yesterday, sitting in a garage not far from me and stopped for a chat. He had owned it for 20 years but didn't drive it much these days. I asked if he might sell and he said he knew he had to one day, so what's it worth with the wrong engine. And before AL asks, no, I didn't check to see if it has your SC engine in it. That would be too much of a coincidence!

It's red, done 167,000 kms, Oz delivered and to my untrained eye, it looks Ok but a little tired. Thoughts?

So, what's a C3 worth with an SC engine in it. I found one yesterday, sitting in a garage not far from me and stopped for a chat. He had owned it for 20 years but didn't drive it much these days. I asked if he might sell and he said he knew he had to one day, so what's it worth with the wrong engine. And before AL asks, no, I didn't check to see if it has your SC engine in it. That would be too much of a coincidence!

It's red, done 167,000 kms, Oz delivered and to my untrained eye, it looks Ok but a little tired. Thoughts?

ha the reverse problem to me. You know I want you to check for me now! Finders reward applies.

I say work out the average equivelant carrera 3.0 then minus 10%. Then with some bargening move that up to 20%.

c3's are fetching well over 100k now right? Maybe 100 as a guess in current state and 90 if you're lucky. Try 80 to start with.

Oh, coupe and manual?

Simon why are you asking this? Youknow what it's worth give or take a bit. You are so very specific in your posts about condition, options, things needing repair, things not done properly, incorrect parts, value for money, cant build cars for the price asked, etc etc... Your eye is extremely trained as is your analytic mind, and that all culminates in an opinion of what something is worth or if it is good, average or poor value......

Another post from you re  asking the value of something someone has for sale without the fulldetails - this one ... man/auto? cab/coupe? history/none? full stamped books/not? Original paint/ not? Original parts/not? and importantly sunroof/ or delete? ;) Last one was a schmozle ... just sayin'!

Simon why are you asking this? Youknow what it's worth give or take a bit. You are so very specific in your posts about condition, options, things needing repair, things not done properly, incorrect parts, value for money, cant build cars for the price asked, etc etc... Your eye is extremely trained as is your analytic mind, and that all culminates in an opinion of what something is worth or if it is good, average or poor value......

Another post from you re  asking the value of something someone has for sale without the fulldetails - this one ... man/auto? cab/coupe? history/none? full stamped books/not? Original paint/ not? Original parts/not? and importantly sunroof/ or delete? ;) Last one was a schmozle ... just sayin'!

The one car I have never followed and do not understand is the Carrera 3. There seems to be such a difference in pricing, they aren't that common and until recently, I didn't understand them at all. In the same way, i also haven't followed the earlest IB cars. my interest has been primarily around the SC and 3.2's.

I am not offering anything for sale or trying to lead anybody along. In fact, I am not interested in it for myself. The guy seemed decent enough but hadn't really considered selling it so I was just interested in what it's worth. I have a suspicion he will be rather surprised at the value.

I haven't even considered half the points you raised in terms of spec. It's a coupe, I am pretty sure there was no sunroof, I have no idea about history and I suspect it is original paint. I suspect the biggest thing that effects price is the wrong engine?