3.2 Carrera Market Watch

Anyway back to the market!

Autohaus have just listed two that are worth a look:  '88 with 241,000km that will need engine work eventually for $89k and a '89 UK import for $99k.

Both present very nicely.

http://autohaushamilton.com.au/porsche-sales/porsches-for-sale

That red one has been for sale either before or for a quite a long time .....

I've seen it before on their website and I remember it as it was quite cheap compared to the other ones for sale because it needed a top end rebuild.

I don't remember how much it was last time, but I think a bit cheaper. Maybe goes to show that buyers at that amount of money really don't want to spend more after purchase.

Yes, they say they have sold it before.  If it was 3 years ago it would have been about half the price.  Remember those days.

I wonder how bad the motor actually is. 

I note many 911 owners suffer from premature engine rebuilds.  I suspect to cure oil leaks and it becomes "while you're there" rebuild rather than anything being particularly worn.  Surely the other UK car was an example of this when it's engine was done at 144,000km!

The UK car is "pretty good" rust wise according to the add? What does that mean? Rust free or not? A little rust? Where? Easily rectified? You'd want to know exactly where you stand before you forked out that sort of coin for an UK car

The UK car is "pretty good" rust wise according to the add? What does that mean? Rust free or not? A little rust? Where? Easily rectified? You'd want to know exactly where you stand before you forked out that sort of coin for an UK car

I would advise an eyes wide open approach after flying down from Brisbane in November to inspect the blue 930 @ Autohaus which they were selling.Upon opening the passenger door rust was clearly there and it was labeled as "Rust free and, Very clean".

At 241,000km it'll be on the cusp of a full rebuild rather than just a top end refresh and I think that's been reflected in the price.

But I agree if you got another 10 or 20 thousand km's out of it, that would be at least a couple of years driving for most owners.

Interesting view, Mike. I would have thought that with the roof open, you are "condemned" to having the same cabin temperature as the outside. So if it is 28 degrees outside, it will be 28 degrees inside. If you have a/c, it will never work properly with a constant supply of freshly heated air replacing the cooled air in the cockpit. Even with the small vents on my early 3.2, with 28 degrees outside, I can easily get the inside temperature down to 22-23 degrees. With 37 degrees outside, the inside was 26-27 degrees and enough cold air aimed at me to make things pretty bearable. Surely the last thing I would want to do is open anything so that heated outside air can get in.

I guess it comes down to how good your a/c is. Contrary to popular belief, when new, the Porsche a/c while not great was actually adequate. Over time and without being cared for, it just gets worse and worse. I am not actually sure why  people accept that with a 30+ year old car you need to maintain and replace parts such as hoses and maybe even oil coolers, or fit better ones, but with the a/c, they think that all they should need to do is charge it up! Give your a/c the same love as you give the rest of the car and it will be more than adequate and if you really want cool, there are some good alternatives that replace the original gear.

Opening your car windows and the sunroof (which I know helps) greatly increases airflow by blowing air over your skin. This basically causes quicker evaporation of sweat which allows your heat energy to escape much quicker than normal..., So without an A/C car, the sunroof option is definitely going to help that flow. Cool?

Opening your car windows and the sunroof (which I know helps) greatly increases airflow by blowing air over your skin. This basically causes quicker evaporation of sweat which allows your heat energy to escape much quicker than normal..., So without an A/C car, the sunroof option is definitely going to help that flow. Cool?

and heat rises, out of the sunroof

• 2 weeks later...

I'm selling it on behalf of a friend and thats the price he had in his mind 

I'm sure he'd negotiate - I think the feeding frenzy for Porsches has definitely subsided though

I see that the Supersport owner has dropped his asking price from $179k to $169k

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1987/SSE-AD-4346777/?Cr=4

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-04%20at%209.29.1

The nice grey '89 converted import in SA has now been dropped to $87,500.

What I found peculiar is the adding of the gymkhana photographs.  Wouldn't have thought that would be a good sales technique!     

Has anyone had a look at this car?  I like the colour and it seems decent.

It was a colour that not everyone would go for.....you needed the right buyer.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Yes, unusual colour . . . certainly not the usual 1980s "retail red".  

BTW, 3.2 trivia point:  all the ads that describe a 3.2 in "Guards Red" are actually incorrect.  The 3.2 was never made in Guards Red.  It was made in "India Red" (code 027) and "Indian Red" (code 80K), but never Guards.

BTW, 3.2 trivia point:  all the ads that describe a 3.2 in "Guards Red" are actually incorrect.  The 3.2 was never made in Guards Red.  It was made in "India Red" (code 027) and "Indian Red" (code 80K), but never Guards.

I think I remember something about it being a British coined name.

Apparently taken from the red the Beefeater Guards wore.

Cheers,

Geoff.

I have just joined PFA, and this is my first post.

I purchased a converted car 6 years ago, in fact it was the one shown in the link near the start of this thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/272316-australian-project-left-right-3-2-a.html

It has never required any repairs or fixes related to the conversion, only normal repairs and maintenance.

I have never had the thought "I wish I hadn't bought a converted LHD to RHD car" when driving it.

However, I do appreciate that I bought a solid, rust free, mechanically sound, well maintained car with a tidy interior, every time I drive it.

And I bought it for less than the price of some of the tired examples I looked at prior to buying this one.

So, for me the only down side is if and when you go to sell, you need to re calibrate your expectations.

That's the situation I find myself in now. So I would say, don't be scared of buying a converted car if it is well done.

Sadly for the person who did the conversion, they are possibly the big loser, unless they enjoyed pouring in those countless hours of research and work.

At least it is tax free profit for them but it's a huge job!!

So you have Saintz' car. Wondered who had it.  He did a nice job. He took me for a ride when it was for sale. Very nice.  Does it still have the small dent in the right rear corner ?

Did he tell you the history of the car?

Has anyone had a look at this car?  I like the colour and it seems decent.

Mr Cashin,

Small world it seems.  A pm to OZ930 might be in order.

A market watch thread for the 911 3.2 Carrera which was manufactured from 1984 to 1989.  For those interested, this car came in six main models:

1. Carrera: standard body, usually with teledial cast alloy wheels (the "non-sport")

2. Carrera Sport:  as standard but with front and rear spoilers, sport shock absorbers,  wider road wheels (lightweight cast or forged) and low profile tyres

3. Supersport (called Turbo-Look in America): wider Turbo body, front and rear Turbo spoilers, high performance brakes, uprated suspension and shocks, lightweight wheels with ultra low profile tyres

4.  Club Sport (CS)

5. Speedster: A lowered variant of the cabriolet with Turbo-look body

6. Silver Anniversary and Celebration Models:  for 25 years of the 911 and for the 250,000th 911

To get this thread started:  

CTS has lowered the aggressive $189,995 price on the 1989 silver 3.2 down to a slightly more reasonable $169,995.

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.33.0

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.33.1

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-12%20at%206.36.5Th

The 3.2 Carrera was built late 1983 and regarding price? yes they are all over the place.The red one i just sold was the best one i have ever had for sale and ive had lots of them since the 90s.This topic is always interesting.I say to buyers of all Porsches go and look at as many of the model you want to buy and compare apples with apples,not apples and carrots.Look at body gaps,paint,oil leaks they all have oil weeps.Interior for wear.these are OLD cars.All these items are expensive to fix.Some people say i can fix that for $5000 it becomes $7500, and thats only 1 item,what about the rest of them?If you want a project Porsche thats fine,buy one.If you want the best one you have to pay the price.There is a lot of lookers out there and thats fine.Then there is the ones that hope the high price ones drop in price,maybe it will or as my wife says you snooze you loose.LOL.    

Wrong Guards red was correct for the 80s check with Porsche Australia.

I think maybe Guards red, India red and Indian Red are the same colour

My '86 Carrera (Oct-85 build) is Guards Red (G1G1) confirmed with PCM

yes there has been plenty of pixels spilt over the topic. I think in the end 'indian' red was seen as controversial in the US so they changed it to guards.  And it's guards as in palace guards, in case anyone was wondering.

Ok, i'm new to the forum and have a vested interest in this topic that i have only just read from end to end.

I have my slate grey '89 3.2 imported, converted car for sale. It has 231HP, G50, and has had a top end and more rebuild and is tidy and rust free.

As well as a hills joy machine, it is an excellent around town car with nice torque and smooth changing gears, but one of its under rated assets is the sunroof!!!

On most days i have it open a couple of inches, so the wind deflector is up and the windows shut. This works really well if it's sunny and hot.

If it's sunny and cool, open it up some more. Even if it is slightly wet and cold, i usually have it slightly cracked with the heater on and the seat heater on.

It just keeps a nice air flow. One bonus is the extra sound you get, especially driving through the hills. You really do get the full symphony of intake, exhaust and mechanical sound. Then, I open as much as the weather and sun direction allows. I use the switch more than the windows, vents or fans.

My 944 has a different sort of sunroof and i use that to effect as well. With the 911 just maintain the seals and the drains occasionally and the cables once every two or three years and enjoy!!