UK - History Searching

Al

This thread is to help folks dig up history on their UK released Porsches. I've put a few years of effort into this one tackling it bit by bit and happy with the result.
Here's the order I recommend getting the details in:

1. Certificate of Authenticity.
2. Original dealer records.
3. DVLA records.

You could go a step further and contact the previous owners with the DVLA records. Yet to do this myself.

---
Step 1:

Go here for the official instructions:
http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesandservice/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/documents/

Or my procedure..

Email Customer.Assistance@porsche.co.uk, request the CoA form and tell them you have a UK Porsche but it is now located with you in Australia and request their banking details. Once you receive their reply with bank transfer details then pay the amount required on the form and email them with the bank transfer receipt number, transfer description details and attach the form containing your details.

After a week or two, email them to check if the payment was received and if the Certificate is being processed. They’re very helpful so you shouldn’t have any drama. The most difficult bit is getting that bank transfer done. It'll turn up in the mail a few weeks later.

Step 2:

Straight forward. Get the original dealer info from the Certificate, find their website and contact email address and ask them for any info on your car. Explain the story to them so they understand why you want the info. Porsche Centre Colchester were more than happy to help me out.

Step 3:

The DVLA records, a challenging one. Tried this 2 different ways. Don't even bother trying to ask for the records yourself. You need to get someone there to act on your behalf like a relative or possibly a good friend.

..To be continued.

I will expand on this more later as I have to go out now.

Edited by Al

Step 3 continued - The DVLA Request:

First, find a lot of determination and a 'don't give up' attitude.

Second, find a relative or a good friend to visit a DVLA office and request the 'Release of information from DVLA's registers' form. More info here on the form..

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/433570/INF266_210515.pdf

If you can't find anyone then I would email the Porsche Club of Great Britain and see if someone would be willing to do this on your behalf. I have spoken to guys in the club there and they went out of their way to give me advice on chasing records.

While they are collecting the form then start working on the documents you will need..

Type a polite letter to the DVLA asking for all information on your car explaining why you want it. I suggest saying your now classic car has lost records and to help with the vehicles value you would like any and all information and say it will be kept private and with the car's history record folder.

In the same letter you will need to authorise/give permission for your friend or relative along with their address to ask for the information on your behalf. Explain your relationship with the person if a friend.. A relative is much easier I would imagine.

Put their name and address in the letter. Also put your name and address in the letter as well as all your vehicles details like make, model, VIN, original engine number, colour and original dealer it was sold at.

Letter done. Now print, sign it, scan it and have it ready in PDF format.

Now scan your latest insurance papers and make sure it includes the cars details, your name and address. Get this into PDF format.

Next, scan your latest rego papers. It needs to show your name, address and car details. PDF format again.

If you have your original purchase receipt from wherever you bought it (from a previous owner ok) then scan and PDF that also.

If you managed to find some original dealer information then make a copy and PDF it too. This may have the original number plate details and helpful to them.

Bundle the PDF files together and forward them onto your UK middle man to print off. They will need to fill in the DVLA form, sign and hand everything into the DVLA. Offer to buy them some warm english beer or send them some money via paypal. They've done you a massive favour so be generous with your reward.

Now wait a few months and the DVLA will send the paperwork to your UK contact who will then send them onto you.

Job done.

I'm here for advice if you get stuck. Good luck and keep me posted on success stories.

The DVLA process alone took me 2 years but that included lots of road blocks. If you follow my guide it will be much quicker.

Haha.. funny you should say that. Been thinking of starting a classic car history chasing job. Travel the world.. start a TV show. Couldn't think of anything better as a job actually.

Imagine some billionaire with a mega expensive old car giving me a blank cheque to discover all I could.

Edited by Al

I thought I would try my luck and take a short cut like @wilburforce and email Porsche GB early this week and amazingly they replied straight away. They got me all excited and promised they could help with delivery and service history, then emailed back and said the records don't go back to '73. They did however say that PCA can issue a COA, anyone know if this is true for an import? 

@901er I doubt PCA can issue one on a UK car. I tried that initially. Did you email the address in my first step (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk)?

If they can't find details and it's a 'can't help you' then I would try Porsche Classic in germany.. they may have the records.

We will get your certificate! I'm going to help.

Edited by Al

@901er I doubt PCA can issue one on a UK car. I tried that initially. Did you email the address in my first step (customer.assistance@porsche.co.uk)?

If they can't find details and it's a 'can't help you' then I would try Porsche Classic in germany.. they may have the records.

We will get your certificate! I'm going to help.

yes I emailed customer assistance. They said dealer and service history doesn't go back that far, however if I was a UK resident with a UK postal address I could get a COA. That's when she suggested that PCA could help. I will try Porsche classic, good idea

They should be able to send you the UK authorised CoA to you in Aus. They sent it to me no probs. I would question that. If they still say no then I can fling them an email reminding them they have done it before and include my old conversation history with them.

When I tried PCA they said they can't issue them if a UK released vehicle.

Ok, so I emailed them yesterday and said 'my mate Al recently got a COA sent to him in Australia WTF'? except I was really polite and here is the reply,

Thank you for your response.
We have had some recent changed to our policy regarding documentation, which was actioned from the 1st of January. Unless the vehicle is registered to a UK address, we no longer send documents and certificates abroad.
I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused.

So maybe I will try PCA, cant hurt, from there I will try Porsche Classic.

The DVLA records arrived yesterday. They are now filed away in my display binder. Gees I've discovered and built up a lot of history on my car now.. the binder is looking very thick.

It appears I may have discovered my original owners manual too.. An 81' RoW version with a stamped 'German Motors LTD' UK service record. According to my DVLA records that lines up also with the area it lived and it did belong to 'German Motors LTD'. Very interesting. If not the exact manual it is certainly perfectly period-correct.

Hope you guys are making some progress. I started with nothing and now got a heap of history.. it can be done!

Edited by Al

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone making any progress on anything from the UK?

My DVLA records are awesome! So worth the effort.

I never got a response from my email to PCA, so I called them about 5 days later, they took my number down as the person I had to speak to was busy, but no one returned my call ?. Been too busy since to try again.