993 - WTF theres still some for sale - Market Watch

11 hours ago, 911virgin said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1997-porsche-911-carrera-s-993-auto/OAG-AD-19582449/?Cr=8

looks in good nick, but high kms

what sort  of things start to break down at 167000kms and what sort of repair costs would one be looking at?

Gone already!

I wouldn't worry about the km provided everything is up to date and it drives fine.  Where it becomes a real pain is when the deferred maintenance has been allowed to build up and there are lots of odd jobs to be done.  Unaddressed oil leaks is a classic example.  These cars are robust and reasonably simple and if in good condition now, will likely be that way for a long time yet.

Also remember you are unlikely to drive these daily so it will be possibly 10years until you get to 200,000km.

Do miss my old 993 Tip. 

On 19/02/2021 at 19:54, Peter M said:

Gone already!

I wouldn't worry about the km provided everything is up to date and it drives fine.  Where it becomes a real pain is when the deferred maintenance has been allowed to build up and there are lots of odd jobs to be done.  Unaddressed oil leaks is a classic example.  These cars are robust and reasonably simple and if in good condition now, will likely be that way for a long time yet.

Also remember you are unlikely to drive these daily so it will be possibly 10years until you get to 200,000km.

Do miss my old 993 Tip. 

@911virginThe 993 as a whole is a very well built motorcar, probably the best one that Porsche built this comment has nothing to do with trends fads etc....

The engine as Peter has mentioned is very well resolved and if it is maintained to spec will reward with many 100's of 1,000's of kms with out requiring any major work.

I have a 1994 C2 manual that has done a genuine 266,000kms (10k a year avg) that has never had the engine cracked top or bottom it has just been maintained very well keeping things in tip top shape as required which to be honest doesn't take much on these cars. A recent comp test shows all numbers well within parameters so again don't be deterred by kms. I have many 993 owning friends that have all done in excess of 200,000kms all well looked after cars and all still go magnificently.

A PPI by a trusted experienced Porsche mechanic will serve you well.  An older Porsche can cost a lot of money to bring up to spec - History, both service and owner is the key.

I have had lots of 911's and one of these set up well is an absolute treat, fast enough for the road handles like a modern car (significant compared to previous models)

The other great thing about getting a car with higher Kms is that you will drive them 

On 21/02/2021 at 12:07, Scott SS964 said:

@911virginThe 993 as a whole is a very well built motorcar, probably the best one that Porsche built this comment has nothing to do with trends fads etc....

The engine as Peter has mentioned is very well resolved and if it is maintained to spec will reward with many 100's of 1,000's of kms with out requiring any major work.

I have a 1994 C2 manual that has done a genuine 266,000kms (10k a year avg) that has never had the engine cracked top or bottom it has just been maintained very well keeping things in tip top shape as required which to be honest doesn't take much on these cars. A recent comp test shows all numbers well within parameters so again don't be deterred by kms. I have many 993 owning friends that have all done in excess of 200,000kms all well looked after cars and all still go magnificently.

A PPI by a trusted experienced Porsche mechanic will serve you well.  An older Porsche can cost a lot of money to bring up to spec - History, both service and owner is the key.

I have had lots of 911's and one of these set up well is an absolute treat, fast enough for the road handles like a modern car (significant compared to previous models)

The other great thing about getting a car with higher Kms is that you will drive them 

hey scott, thanks for the advices : )

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 09ELF said:

Hi guys,

I havent been following the market recently.

The market is fairly dry of C2 Manuals. Anyone have a price hisotry on how much they previously went for based on carsale stats?

😃

Over the last 12 months they seem to have fluctuated around 145-165 depending on condition however very few have been for sale. 

According to the follow data (i have not fact checked this) only 229 manual C2's came to Australia between 1994-1997 

Resized_Screenshot_20180801-220536_Dropbox_2795.jpeg

4 hours ago, 09ELF said:

Hi guys,

The market is fairly dry of C2 Manuals. Anyone have a price hisotry on how much they previously went for based on carsale stats?

😃

No manual coupes on the market nor turbos. Never seen anything like this before.

6 hours ago, 09ELF said:

Hi guys,

😃

A low km C2S went for low 200s at the start of this year. Last last year I believe there were 2 x variorams at 140-150k. ~100kms from memory. Both gone now.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't get caught up on kms rate the car not the mileage . These cars are bullet proof if maintained well. 
Bare in mind world wide there is very high demand for 90’s manual euro sports cars . The main people doubting values are the owners themselves. 

• 3 weeks later...

there was a silver 1995 tip that had approx 110000kms and was asking $150k on carsales about 2-3 weeks ago, seller in VIC

it disappeared from carsales within a few days.............presumably sold

it appeared in very nice condition

DUtton's also sold a late 96 black on black Targa tip , 110000kms for $160k about 2-3 weeks ago also

the photos never made it to their site, it was snapped up before that!

2 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Not much less than a 996 GT3 I would imagine....

And there lies the rub - which would be the most desirable of the two will depend on who you ask!

True, however 2 very different cars. Having owned both i have used the 993 a lot more as its a much more enjoyable car to drive on a more regular basis and still very capable and certainly fast enough for the weekend mountain pass. The driving experience in the 993 is more akin to the old school 911 as opposed to the newer 996. Performance from the 996 GT3 engine is outstanding the rest of the car felt cheap and nasty not Porsche like at all. I found tuning the 996 GT3 to handle to my liking was a lot more challenging as well,  its one thing having decent power but if it feels like its going to kill you ......... just my experience.

On 07/04/2021 at 18:37, 99TS3 said:

No manual coupes on the market nor turbos. Never seen anything like this before.

yep, sellers market. Mate told me Sunday he was thinking of selling his low Km turbo off market due to an incoming car purchase, I offered it to a couple of people, then he tells me the next day it was sold to another friend. It was a superb example and went in the mid to high 3's.

20 minutes ago, Tips said:

yep, sellers market. Mate told me Sunday he was thinking of selling his low Km turbo off market due to an incoming car purchase, I offered it to a couple of people, then he tells me the next day it was sold to another friend. It was a superb example and went in the mid to high 3's.

I know of a 4S auto purchased for over 300 in the last month its being used as a daily