Now I really understand the meaning of stealership

reggiegums

My Cayenne's headlights started flickering and after changing bulbs, still flickering.

The mechanic narrowed it down to the Xenon ballast and was quoted, by Chellingworth Porsche, $1,500 plus shipping from over east.

Its actually a Hella part (the part I pulled out actually had Hella's part number on it then Porsche's own part number below) and I got them for  $184 plus express shipping from Germany. I even bet it gets here faster than shipping from over east.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same but reverse for me..  Needed an alternator replaced (cracked mounting bracket), was quoted $8xx.xx odd for one from Germany, no anticipated ETA, via the mechanic.

A quick search on eBay AU gets me one for $4xx.xx odd - plus freight.  Pointed this out to the mechanic, nah can't be is the reply, but on investigation turns out it can be and is received two or three days later.  Of course their markup is added and is still cost me $5xx.xx odd but I got the car back on the road a lot sooner that expected, with change for a few tanks of premium.!

My Cayenne's headlights started flickering and after changing bulbs, still flickering.

The mechanic narrowed it down to the Xenon ballast and was quoted, by Chellingworth Porsche, $1,500 plus shipping from over east.

Its actually a Hella part (the part I pulled out actually had Hella's part number on it then Porsche's own part number below) and I got them for  $184 plus express shipping from Germany. I even bet it gets here faster than shipping from over east.

yes, but the dealership has a fancy coffee machine.

The world is a smaller place now and thanks to technology we can research at the click of a button.Few years back I was researching protective covers for spotties  on my patrol with Nissan quoting $90 and ARB selling them for $38, the exact same cover and brand.

• 2 weeks later...

think thats bad.,.. JEEP charged $500 me for a rear number plate light housing.. thats the little plastic bit the light sits in... no more then 5x3cm ... sold the car RIGHT after that.. took me 2 weeks to sell lol.

think thats bad.,.. JEEP charged $500 me for a rear number plate light housing.. thats the little plastic bit the light sits in... no more then 5x3cm ... sold the car RIGHT after that.. took me 2 weeks to sell lol.

Was that what got you over the line with the buyer? ;) 

the car it self was really reliable, had excellent options but i was sick and tired of been treated like an idiot. The rear light housing was removed by there techs to fix the tailgate not closing properly. But they tried to blame us for it being missing...

I have a mate who takes his company car for servicing to a dealer. EVERY time they tell him he needs new wiper blades. Last time he was taking it for a service, he changed the wiper blades himself the day before. He deliberately left the empty package on the front passenger seat along with the receipt from the day before when he put it in for service. An hour after dropping it off they call him to tell him he needs new wiper blades :angry::lol:

'It's a Jeep Thing'...

Blinker in the door mirror on the ML350 stopped working, the Mercedes dealer wanted $900 plus labour for a new mirror assembly, my mechanic fixed it in 15 min for FREE.

He found a loose wire and reconnected it. The dealers do not fix or repair, they replace, its part of their business model. Sadly most people are not mechanical or car savvy.  

I have a mate who takes his company car for servicing to a dealer. EVERY time they tell him he needs new wiper blades. Last time he was taking it for a service, he changed the wiper blades himself the day before. He deliberately left the empty package on the front passenger seat along with the receipt from the day before when he put it in for service. An hour after dropping it off they call him to tell him he needs new wiper blades :angry::lol:

Wouldn't happen to be a BMW, would it?  Seems to be part of their business plan...

I just wanna say, I'm really liking this thread... more please !!  :)

I can't believe the exorbitant prices some dealers are charging us mugs and the amazing (simple & cheap) solutions people are coming up with and savings heaps. Great work!  

Archived