Now I really understand the meaning of stealership

reggiegums

My wife's 2008 Corolla has had an intermittent problem with the dash lights going out and finally last week died altogether.  Then I discovered that the rear park/position lights were out too.  Checked the fuse diagram and yep, same fuse.  Checked the fuse, cleaned terminals checked wires, still no go.  Must be the switch.

The car had to go in for a recall job, so asked the question.  "yeah, done a few of these"

Quote to fix?  $168 plus 2 hours labour !!!!

Checked Mr Google.  Turns out it is a common problem with 2007,2008 etc Corollas....but no recall ???? but found a fix on youtube.  Ok, will try it.

30 minutes later and 5c worth of wet and dry, pulled apart, cleaned, reassembled .......and working.

It is the same stealership that put the price up $2000 overnight on a car we "were" interested in.  That price has now dropped back $1000.  Still $1000 over the original price

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently booked my Golf in for a service and they asked me if I'd like the tyres rotated for only $30 more.

I hope you flicked them the bird? 

Regular tyre mob I go to (went to!) said a while ago that they tyres are $160 each fitted and are in stock. Drop in with the car to check them out  '$160 each, plus $10 fitting and $10 balancing per rim, though we don't have the rears here, so that will take a day or so and $20 freight per tyre. How would you like to pay?' 

Seeya mate.........next!

I hope you flicked them the bird? 

Regular tyre mob I go to (went to!) said a while ago that they tyres are $160 each fitted and are in stock. Drop in with the car to check them out  '$160 each, plus $10 fitting and $10 balancing per rim, though we don't have the rears here, so that will take a day or so and $20 freight per tyre. How would you like to pay?' 

Seeya mate.........next!

I'll put the hard word on the service manager tomorrow when I drop it in.  The wheels will be off for the service so it costs them literally nothing to do a rotation. They could earn $30 in good will by offering it for free.

Then again, maybe it includes a balance and alignment.

I know what you mean about buying tyres though - The last set I bought were through tyresales.com.au.  They price matched the cheapest quote I could find.  Gave me a tracking number and they offer a referral bonus.  I won't feel bad about supporting them at the expense of the regular tyre places.

• 1 month later...

I'm a mobile mechanic and buy a lot of parts from overseas for my customers, they don't mind waiting for them when your saving them money. Mazda CX-9 head light globe $312 Mazda genuine xenon $60 oem from overseas 1 week delivery.

I find in Australia we get charged excessive prices for parts. I understand years ago shipping was expensive but these days with the amount of cargo coming to Australia and quick turnaround times it is no excuse to charge a premium for car parts anymore.

i think that's why these online parts suppliers are doing so well. Soon the dealers will need to be more competitive with prices when more people find out you can buy the parts cheaper online.

The only other argument is warranty on the part. if you buy local you can take it back and get warranty claims easily, overseas parts not so easy.

If you get the part 1/3 of the price you just buy another one. you will still be ahead. Chances of failure is very slim most parts get damaged in shipping or when fitting.

At the end of the day for classic car company's the more cars they have on the road it's cheap advising for them. They should give us all a 25% classic car restoration parts discount to keep classics on the road ? Wake me up I just started dreaming?

JEP

Nice work @JEP944

Parts are a huge income stream for dealers.

Just like the banks, we all rely on them to be profitable to feed the economy. 

ATM there are enough people supporting these and other important streams to keep them strong.

ATM the online parts stream is doing well enough to make them strong as well. The balance is good, which gives us options. 

I love the chase of finding and securing parts cheaper then repair myself.

I'm happy, they're happy.

If I could afford to feed these streams I might. Since I would likely be too busy and my time too valuable to bother with such trivialities. ?

• 8 months later...

Just purchased an 8 piece set of control arms, bushes, links etc for my Volvo XC90- $200 including shipping from the USA

1 LHS control arm for 993 -$600 including shipping. Can't imagine what a full set would be.

WOW.... what a premium we pay for parts!!

On 5/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, Pokiou said:

your 993 one has lasted longer than the xc90?? maybe thats why its more money. Better materials ?

Same mileage and the 993 is also due for replacement too.

• 1 month later...

Bought a 2nd hand 987.1  last month, only got one key. Called Porsche Brighton this week, can I get a key made up? Yes, sure thing, sir. The key head (with 3 buttons) is $560, the blade is $340 & coding the key is $150. That’s $1040 for 1 key.  Spent 10mins surfing the interweb, replacement key found on amazon, with $10 postage, $46 aus. On order, awaiting delivery. Keep you posted... might be a dud! I still need to get it laser cut then coded but if  it all works out, will still kill $1000.

27 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Bought a 2nd hand 987.1  last month, only got one key. Called Porsche Brighton this week, can I get a key made up? Yes, sure thing, sir. The key head (with 3 buttons) is $560, the blade is $340 & coding the key is $150. That’s $1040 for 1 key.  Spent 10mins surfing the interweb, replacement key found on amazon, with $10 postage, $46 aus. On order, awaiting delivery. Keep you posted... might be a dud! I still need to get it laser cut then coded but if  it all works out, will still kill $1000.

Hi @Philbee stupid question can’t you just get a normal key cut without all the technology ie buttons?? My wife only had 1key for her Toyota years ago and the dealer wanted $600 so I just got a standard key cut,and just kept it as the spare.

7 hours ago, MARTY said:

Hi @Philbee stupid question can’t you just get a normal key cut without all the technology ie buttons?? My wife only had 1key for her Toyota years ago and the dealer wanted $600 so I just got a standard key cut,and just kept it as the spare.

I think a  low-tech key if used to open the door, because it's not coded & cant be coded, will set off the immobilser/alarm... I think. But I'll check.

39 minutes ago, Philbee said:

I think a  low-tech key if used to open the door, because it's not coded & cant be coded, will set off the immobilser/alarm... I think. But I'll check.

yes, it will setoff the alarm - key has an alarm transponder I believe

The key body and key blade are the easy bits to get. The transponder is needed.

A second hand key from the same model including the transponder which can be recoded to your ecu would be the cheapest way imo.

I bought a second key for a Hilux I had a few years ago and you could actually reprogram the key yourself. It was some crazy combination of turning the ignition on and off 6 times, push the brake pedal twice and open and close the drivers door. It sounded bizarre but it worked. Would be interesting to know if this type of programming is possible on P cars too.

I tried a very accomplished key guy with this. No he couldn't, and so far as he knew only the dealer could program the transponder. He could cut the bar though.

You can buy the bar as a separate part cut by Porsche. Clips into the head.

19 minutes ago, firstone said:

I tried a very accomplished key guy with this. No he couldn't, and so far as he knew only the dealer could program the transponder. He could cut the bar though.

You can buy the bar as a separate part cut by Porsche. Clips into the head.

Unfortunately you can't program a used key (transponder) to a car unless it has the original tag with the keys code on it, you can code it for the immobiliser though.

489735d1290004104-need-new-remote-key-he

You do need a PIWIS2 or PST2 to program the key as well as the IPASS code which is specific to your car (which the dealer won't give to you I've already tried). This code is different to the key blade code which they will.

Basically the 996/986 keys have a few parts to them: blade, transponder and immobiliser pill. Blade is the physical part, transponder opens/locks etc. the pill/RFID is the immobiliser part. 

Also dealerships have their own policies but most won't code a key unless it comes from them, I heard a story of a key being programmed for a Cayenne (which turned out to be a fake Chinese key) which basically shutdown the alarm, they charged 5k to replace the entire system so now their keys or nothing. 

5 hours ago, Philbee said:

Yes a low tech key can be programmed to physically open the doors and just start the car, there are places that can do that other than the dealership but its not as reliable as they will just "clone" your current key. If you open the car physically without the transponder it will set off the alarm until you put the key into the ignition.

The 996/986 physical key blade is also known as HU66 which is a VAG key, so anyone that can cut a VW blade can cut a 996/986 blade. They can do it in two ways - reade the key "code" off your key or you can get the "key code" off the dealership and provide it to them and they can cut off that - in the case that the key is too warn thats the path you'd have to go down.

PM for more details on keys if you need it.

16 hours ago, Philbee said:

That's a crazy price! The two button key is a bit cheaper at close to $400... How is the blade $340?? It's $60 new from the parts department and around $50 to have cut. P/N: 996-538-531-00

1 minute ago, Ozvino said:

It’s why you see “has two Genuine Porsche keys” in lots of adverts....

Yep!

Had same problem when we purchased our 987.1.  Purchased a matching new key head via ebay which had an unencoded transponder in it.  Bought the blade from expressautokeys.co.uk - you email them a good photo of the blade and they cut it from that - worked perfectly for about $25 or so from memory.  Then you are up for the encoding of the transponder which probably needs a visit to a Porsche Centre to do - can cost a couple of hundred I believe, we got ours done for nix as a "no liability admitted" trade-off for damage to a tyre valve resulting in a stuffed tyre we think occurred during our first service there.

Archived