Found and fitted (with pic): 996.1 aero (ie GT3 style) front bumper and side skirts

D2000

cheers. I was thinking that the version with the hole might be better because then I'd have a wider market if I decide to take it off later and sell it. 

Also reconsidering the proposition because shipping from Teile is about 1,000 euros which would make bumper and side skirts about $5,000 landed (including customs/gst). Allowing another $1,000 for paint and fitting makes it $6,000. A lot to spend for a slight visual upgrade!

Just an FYI there is no version with the cutout or without the cutout. There is an insert that sits behind it, so even if you decide to sell the bar the insert (either with or without the cutout) can be swapped. Same with the MK2 GT3/AeroKit bar.

Price is very steep but you can make some savings installing things yourself, the front bar is only 2 side screws, 2 screws from the top, a handful underneath and some plastic rivets and its off.

FYI the full kit looks awesome and adds value at the other end (come sale time or keep your original parts and sell the aerokit ones), although i'm biased... I don't think you'd loose money selling them later the market for them is strong IMO.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an FYI there is no version with the cutout or without the cutout. There is an insert that sits behind it, so even if you decide to sell the bar the insert (either with or without the cutout) can be swapped. Same with the MK2 GT3/AeroKit bar.

Price is very steep but you can make some savings installing things yourself, the front bar is only 2 side screws, 2 screws from the top, a handful underneath and some plastic rivets and its off.

FYI the full kit looks awesome and adds value at the other end (come sale time or keep your original parts and sell the aerokit ones), although i'm biased... I don't think you'd loose money selling them later the market for them is strong IMO.

Thanks and agree re appearance. Do you know if I need all the retaining clips and adhesive film etc for the side skirts or do I just reuse the parts from the existing skirts?

If you buy new genuine skirts I believe it will come with hardware. If not you can buy the parts separately. The skirts replace parts so I'd say you'd need the hardware. 

Side skirts come up for sale from time to time 

• 1 month later...

FYI, needs a bit of TLC but it's original and looks gooood 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/222480920644

Thanks.  Saw that.  What kind of cost do you think would be involved in a repair, i.e. to bring it up to the same standard as a new one so that the only cost thereafter is paint?  Just trying to weigh up the new vs used value equation.

Depends on where you take it.

I'd budget anywhere between $600-1000+ for repairs and paint add on another $400-500 for shipping. Which puts you at the cost of a unpainted new one. 

This is just based on experience  

Fitment as discussed can be done yourself or I could give you a hand, it's not hard.  

add on another $400-500 for shipping.

... I could give you a hand, it's not hard.  

Thanks for the generous offer.  I'm in Sydney, though!

Re postage, item is in WA, so hopefully should not be that much to ship.

Thanks for the generous offer.  I'm in Sydney, though!

Re postage, item is in WA, so hopefully should not be that much to ship.

Ah can't see location on the mobile version! 

Yeah i'd budget 400-500+ for shipping you'd be surprised how big they are off the car! 

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise getting mesh/grill etc for the bumper and having your panel beater fit this when they paint it to prevent rocks and gunk getting in behind. 

The mesh kits available OS seem unreasonably expensive.  Any reason something like this wouldn't be as good:  http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Universal-Mesh-Black-1200-x-280mm/155328

The mesh kits available OS seem unreasonably expensive.  Any reason something like this wouldn't be as good:  http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Universal-Mesh-Black-1200-x-280mm/155328

Get some from Bunnings its much cheaper. While youre there get some black silicone like adhesive and glue it on from the back.

Or just not worry about it because any mesh doesn't look good and clean the intakes out every so often

I wouldn't see a problem, my panel beater suggested one of these kits (I already had a cut to fit mesh).

Your panel beater should I suspect be able to cut it to fit.  My mesh was glued at the top to the bumper rather than attached with zip ties like many of the kits are. This meant that there were no unsightly zipties and if a large rock hit it meant there was some give in the mesh ie it could bend at the bottom whch was not glued therefore not putting stress on the bumper.

Get some from Bunnings its much cheaper. While youre there get some black silicone like adhesive and glue it on from the back.

Or just not worry about it because any mesh doesn't look good and clean the intakes out every so often

This is true, the mesh looks excellent when it is first fitted, but quite quickly rocks and grit start chipping it and it starts looking a bit average.

I actually wonder about plasti dipping the mesh whether that might provide a better barrier to prevent chipping of the paint.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've got my bumper but purchase of sideskirts from Suncoast Parts has fallen through. Very annoying. 

Now looking at where to get another set and having trouble with part numbers. As I understand it the older versions attached with drilling and glue and the newer versions with adhesive tape. Naturally I want to go with the newer version as I am no way drilling into my car. 

Dealer has given part number 00004480154 for the aerokit 1 cup kit. But both they and I are unsure if these are the new or old version. 

Porscheshop.co.uk also have them and their ad says it comes with all fittings but they don't respond to email enquiries (just like Carnewal don't respond - is it just me?). 

So can anyone tell me if I have right part number and if not what I need? @Carrera28 or @dan_189 perhaps?

thanks in advance it just a big purchase ($2,750) and don't want to get it wrong!

Finally got in touch with porscheshop.co.uk. Surprisingly (because there is nothing said about this on their website and because their price is not particularly cheap), the OE sideskirts they sell have been fitted and painted to German tuner cars then removed and reprimed over the top.

It was! I wasn't looking for one, but when I saw it was in the suburb next door to me, I couldn't pass it up.

Collected it this morning. It's in very good condition

Will now need to find some side skirts.....

Will ultimately go on my 98 model C2 - but with a colour change to Arena Red required. 

IMG_4681.jpg

Awesome! Congrats, you got that for an awesome price not sure if the seller actually knew what they had from the listing... They should have googled the part number!

Anyway great to see it got snatched up by a fellow PFA member.

Is your car manual or tip?

It was! I wasn't looking for one, but when I saw it was in the suburb next door to me, I couldn't pass it up.

Collected it this morning. It's in very good condition

Will now need to find some side skirts.....

Will ultimately go on my 98 model C2 - but with a colour change to Arena Red required. 

IMG_4681.jpg

let me know if you find a good source for side skirts. I am struggling

Tech art side skirts (no association with seller):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TECHART-PORSCHE-996-911-SIDE-SKIRTS-TURBO-LOOK-CARRERA-CABRIO-2-4-096100340009-/111783293726?hash=item1a06cdb31e:g:U3gAAOSwEeFVQq2B

Subtly different to GT side skirts but still provide a good look.

Thanks. I'd prefer to go with the GT3 style 

• 3 weeks later...

Yet to commit on side skirts.  OEM MK1 will cost me $2,750 (with the rear spats) and may require drilling).  Another option is to go with OEM MK2 which will only cost about $1,000 and won't require drilling.  I greatly prefer the MK1 look, but the MK2 look with MK1 bumper looks alright:  see Jethro Bovington's:  https://twitter.com/jethrobovingdon/status/704306896115732480

Any thoughts?

Yet to commit on side skirts.  OEM MK1 will cost me $2,750 (with the rear spats) and may require drilling).  Another option is to go with OEM MK2 which will only cost about $1,000 and won't require drilling.  I greatly prefer the MK1 look, but the MK2 look with MK1 bumper looks alright:  see Jethro Bovington's:  https://twitter.com/jethrobovingdon/status/704306896115732480

Any thoughts?

Personally I'm not a fan of the MK2 side skirts on a MK1. If you're not in a rush MK1s do come up from time to time on ebay/gumtree. 

Where are the MK2s from?

Archived