356SC - restore or sell

356993???

I am struggling to find time to restore my 356 SC - who decided there was only 24 hrs in a day and that weekends are two days not five!. I don't know whether I should sell it or simply hold onto it until I do ever find time...

have many others struggled to find the time to restore a 356 and had the project drag out - to then question if they should instead sell a desireable car?

Everybody that is part way through a project asks themselves that exact question.

What you need to answer is will you wake up in a clod sweat in the middle of the night, after selling, thinking what have I done and how the bloomen heck am I ever going to replace it???

Hang onto it mate. You'll regret selling it

I had thought of selling the 912 probably 20 times, as the people who were doing the work didn't work as quick as I would (aka, lazy, and took an extra 2 years than I would have liked), yet the end result is worth it

I am all for doing a project, but I think you need to be honest with yourself. 99% of people have a project in their garage which they start with all the best intentions, and then get bogged down with some aspect and decide to have a break. That break usually ends up turning into one of those tomorrow projects that never get's done. They just sit and collects dust, taking up valuable garage space until 'someone' or something forces you to sell, and you are so sick of it you sell it cheap to just have it gone.

So coming back to being honest with yourself. Do you enjoy working on the car? Do you like to spend the odd few hours hiding out in the garage tinkering on it? If you do then great. Keep working away at it little by little and it may take a long time but it will get there in the end.

On the other hand. If it is a chore to go out and work on it, and you are always making excuses as to why you need to be doing something else at the moment. If you avoid looking at it because it is depressing you, then life is too short. Move it on and use the money for a project you will enjoy.

On the other hand. If it is a chore to go out and work on it, and you are always making excuses as to why you need to be doing something else at the moment. If you avoid looking at it because it is depressing you, then life is too short. Move it on and use the money for a project you will enjoy.

Oh no... time so sell my cars, bikes, cats, house and girlfriend.

No prizes for guessing which one first !!

How it looks today?...well, perhaps if I look at it as if I'd never laid eyes on it ever before, then the post title would change to a glass half full title 'Barn find 356SC'...and I'd think I was ultra lucky to find it and I'd be emptying the wallet to get it. 

I am struggling to find time to restore my 356 SC - who decided there was only 24 hrs in a day and that weekends are two days not five!. I don't know whether I should sell it or simply hold onto it until I do ever find time...

have many others struggled to find the time to restore a 356 and had the project drag out - to then question if they should instead sell a desireable car?

I've recently restored a 73 911e targa and are currently doing a 67 911 coupe. Even with pro's doing most of the heavy lifting, it is a time, energy etc drain.  

When I went 356 shopping I knew I did NOT want to restore one. The back story to my 356A is it was sold mid resto as the owner saw a newly completed car, decided life was too short, bought the completed car and sold his resto project. The project was bought by a pro resto shop and completed as their 'show car'. I bought it from them after they had toured it around and rustled up a big factory full of resto work.  The progress shots show a long and difficult process. 

If you think now that you're not going to get through it, then you're probably right.  My 2c: sell it and buy something you can enjoy now.  Buy another project down the road when your life situation allow you to progress it within a foreseeable time frame.  

We all get hit with the "but I'll never find another one" but the reality is there is always another car, house etc etc.  

Case in point: I'm selling my 356A (Aussie coupe) as I have decided that I may just not be a 356 guy.  The A is super pretty, but I'm happier in an air cooled 911. 

Ps.  I will probably still feel a pang of regret when someone rolls into cars and coffee in a nice 356...  there is no logic to this stuff. 

The 2nd paragraph of what @MFX wrote is spot on. I went through that with my last  project car. I ended up selling it, bought my 911, and never looked back. 

How much work is involved in getting it to the driveable stage? Maybe that's an option. Then you can enjoy it, and do stuff on it as you see fit.

Word of note. It took me 7 years to build my first hotrod. Around 2 years months for the second one, and 7 months for the third.

It's driveable now,  just needs to be painted and interior Re-trimmed. No time and no garage to work on it are the real issues. 

In that case,.....Best you pay your membership, place an add up on this forum along with a price and empty your inbox ;) 

• 2 months later...

I've recently restored a 73 911e targa and are currently doing a 67 911 coupe. Even with pro's doing most of the heavy lifting, it is a time, energy etc drain.  

When I went 356 shopping I knew I did NOT want to restore one. The back story to my 356A is it was sold mid resto as the owner saw a newly completed car, decided life was too short, bought the completed car and sold his resto project. The project was bought by a pro resto shop and completed as their 'show car'. I bought it from them after they had toured it around and rustled up a big factory full of resto work.  The progress shots show a long and difficult process. 

If you think now that you're not going to get through it, then you're probably right.  My 2c: sell it and buy something you can enjoy now.  Buy another project down the road when your life situation allow you to progress it within a foreseeable time frame.  

We all get hit with the "but I'll never find another one" but the reality is there is always another car, house etc etc.  

Case in point: I'm selling my 356A (Aussie coupe) as I have decided that I may just not be a 356 guy.  The A is super pretty, but I'm happier in an air cooled 911. 

Ps.  I will probably still feel a pang of regret when someone rolls into cars and coffee in a nice 356...  there is no logic to this stuff. 

Update - my 356A is happily ensconced with its new owner in Radelaide.

Archived