Exhaust Upgrade for a Hotrod

Philbee

thanks @clutch-monkey...appreciate the offer but I have now decided to take the plunge. Yes, got someone to take a 2nd look last weekend and it's come in a lot cheaper, still a bit  expensive in my book but I'm willing to accept the p-tax defeat.... So, I decided to go. Why, you ask? Cos I just want to get it sorted. Also, I forgot to mention this before... the old muffler is flush up pressed against the rear fiberglass bumper, so it gets hot to,touch every time I drive. No heat shield, no space. Needless to say I hate that. 

anyway, getting a custom muffler made up, a satin finish with a couple of polished metal straps and a sports cat replacement. 1-200 cell down from 6-800 cell I'm told. With a fat polished outlet, around 70mm. Booked in for surgery this week, pick up next week. Can't wait... :rolleyes:

And if I can get Flickr to be my new bff I'll attempt a pic upload...

get it ceramic coated, the insulation quality is better than 2 heat shields 

thanks @clutch-monkey...appreciate the offer but I have now decided to take the plunge. Yes, got someone to take a 2nd look last weekend and it's come in a lot cheaper, still a bit  expensive in my book but I'm willing to accept the p-tax defeat.... So, I decided to go. Why, you ask? Cos I just want to get it sorted. Also, I forgot to mention this before... the old muffler is flush up pressed against the rear fiberglass bumper, so it gets hot to,touch every time I drive. No heat shield, no space. Needless to say I hate that. 

anyway, getting a custom muffler made up, a satin finish with a couple of polished metal straps and a sports cat replacement. 1-200 cell down from 6-800 cell I'm told. With a fat polished outlet, around 70mm. Booked in for surgery this week, pick up next week. Can't wait... :rolleyes:

And if I can get Flickr to be my new bff I'll attempt a pic upload...

Be interested in the look, fit, quality, sound, and if that's all good, where you got it done.  Keeps us all updated plz.

get it ceramic coated, the insulation quality is better than 2 heat shields 

hmmm, ceramic....  sounds good. Does it end up with that light cloudy grey look? option for colours? Is it expensive? 

Be interested in the look, fit, quality, sound, and if that's all good, where you got it done.  Keeps us all updated plz.

well this guy was highly recommended by 2 reputable indy porsche mechanics... so I figure, they know their stuff. Yep, will let you know... 

hmmm, ceramic....  sounds good. Does it end up with that light cloudy grey look? option for colours? Is it expensive? 

well this guy was highly recommended by 2 reputable indy porsche mechanics... so I figure, they know their stuff. Yep, will let you know... 

you could have it done in a blue and white Wedgewood pattern, or just go for black or silver. Not sure on the current price, but whatever it is it's cheap for its effectiveness 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all done. Im excited. Due to p-bucket going offline, I've reloaded onto flickr for now... (until they kick me off )

Here's a reminder....  original old muffler look;

rear shot_muffler

Old cat (800cell) & new cat (100cell):

36471428352_67f9cdc0b5_b.jpg

Old short-arsed crappy muffler with hand painted black dulux paint slapped on and new straight through muffler - its narrow (not a round sausage type) so it can fit behind the engine (993)... with tailpipe compare at the bottom (75mm new)

36471425942_d5e3d387fd_b.jpg

And the result is:

35834668633_298a23aec4_b.jpg

Didn't go the ceramic finish, just added a heat shield at the back of the bumper. But was told it could be done later if needed.  And the sound... is freaken awesome may I say.... for you locals [VIC].... making a brief appearance at dakdak coffee coming up and will be at the  SMT in sept. :Laughter:

Analysis after one drive home...The start up is a killer... :P  Mid range power has certainly gone up... noticeably, guessing 5, maybe 10 horses (?). Once you start pushing air through it gets out so much quicker. The engine she breathes like a  bewt now, maaate!!  Putting around you don't notice much difference, other than the great grumbling sound at idle. There's no drone at constant normal speeds, which is great. Only gave it some beans in one little spot so far .... not yet sussed out all its new abilities.

Downside: There's only one so far.... being a 1 in setup, it has the heat exchanger cross pipe just behind the muffler. Thats the big black thing at back you can see, now exposed cos the old muffler hung down so much more and covered  it up.... not exactly happy with that look. Its a factory (HE) setup but the engine is bigger than normal in this chassis so its kinda...  a bit too fat for the space (that's tech talk).

I hope to get an audio up.... [beginner film crew at work here, philbee productions]...

• 9 months later...

An update: Well, the custom muffler  sounds awesome, gives me more horses and less weight - all good objectives that have been achieved. But because of the limited space back there the thing rattles a bit when it warms up. Rattles, I mean rubs and makes a clanging sound! Dis not good, yah! So, the doctor has inspected and reckons he can move the engine forward (wtf!), put in a new engine bracket/brace ( the old one is bent), new tinware and other bits like a single crank pulley... Which will give me space to have no more rattle and enough space for a normal sized sports muffler.  Booked for surgery next week!!

On 5/30/2018 at 11:22 PM, Philbee said:

An update: Well, the custom muffler  sounds awesome, gives me more horses and less weight - all good objectives that have been achieved. But because of the limited space back there the thing rattles a bit when it warms up. Rattles, I mean rubs and makes a clanging sound! Dis not good, yah! So, the doctor has inspected and reckons he can move the engine forward (wtf!), put in a new engine bracket/brace ( the old one is bent), new tinware and other bits like a single crank pulley... Which will give me space to have no more rattle and enough space for a normal sized sports muffler.  Booked for surgery next week!!

Cripes mate - moving the engine! 

On 1 June 2018 at 6:46 PM, deano said:

I dunno if its physically possible, but if its rattling against something, what about fitting some exhaust heat wrap?

For the sake of $50 or so, I'd give it a go.

You're right, it's not being moved... That was my stupidity kicking in. Dropped it off today, muffler guy will be brought in to inspect his 'work de la rattle'... There may be something loose inside as well as external rubbing on the whatever...!

the main gain in space is done by replacing the std 993 pulley (it's a triple pulley) which protrudes out the back quite a bit with a single crank pulley (from Patrick motorsports). To achieve this, I've decided to pull the pin on the air con. Weight gain benefit right there! Then a new engine bracket can replace the bent one in there now.

@KG... A smaller muffler was considered but I'd start losing sound & performance..2 key attributes of a sports muffler. And I want it done right, not with a bent engine brace! Yeah, the parts abt a Kay, labour a bit less. Cha-Ching!

Well, progress todate with 3 days before "Porsches on the pier" at geelong,... A/C has been deleted, new engine bracket installed, new tinware installed, new single crank pulley installed to make more room & muffler removed! All good. Also, getting a window switch replaced, started failing just last week. But the Bad news is... the muffler has gone back to the muffler guy to get tweeked, eg. The outlet needs to be extended to still finish up flush with the rear fender as the whole muffler is moving back.

Now... Awaiting to hear back on return delivery and re-install of the muffler..it could take 2 more days or 2weeks!.. :mellow:

10 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Muffler will not be ready this week... ? 

Out of Geelong 70th.

I’ll give you $50 to not pick up your phone for a week from Sunday morning, no looking at pictures from geelong! Nothing worse than your pride and joy not being ready for a drive ☹️

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2018 at 10:59 PM, Philbee said:

Muffler update: Muffler has had to be re-sized (go figure...  I hear you, @hugh) and expected back this week, to be fitted and ready for this weekend.... Here's hoping.  ?

Ha, that didn’t happen. So, it’s 2 weeks on now & finally got a call. So I’m picking up the h-rod tomorrow. Very excited but anxious too... ?

19 hours ago, Philbee said:

Ha, that didn’t happen. So, it’s 2 weeks on now & finally got a call. So I’m picking up the h-rod tomorrow. Very excited but anxious too... ?

Any updates? :D

17 hours ago, hugh said:

Any updates? :D

Well, today I got my baby back.... unfortunately I had to drive straight home, lock her up and go to work, so only had 10mins of cruising to hear and feel the car... Previously, with a 3.6 the sound is a bit deep and more V8-like more than it is mechanical and raspy. But now it’s gone up a tone, which I like. On idle it just purrs now, no distracting noises?... bliss! @Simonk might like it!  There’s also now space behind the muffler to the engine and I can put my fingers between the rear bumper and the muffler... plenty of space for air to circulate and not melt my rear bumper if I drive long & hard. With the single crank pulley it seems to rev a bit easier too, I think...and the sound when I blip it, me likey!!

but handling and performance has changed too... the air con was removed. Stu said (get this folks) nearly 100 kgs of stuff out.  what the...? I didn’t realise there was so much weight to be gained. Would have done this sooner.  The car feels noticeably different! A good different. I’ll need to drive more to really feel this. With this beast out I can look at a centre console delete and move the passenger footrest back. Next project in the wings!!

Got home, engine warming and not a rattle to be heard, thank friggen god!! The neighbours will also be happy. Me so happy. Hopefully it stays that way after a good drive...

As for muffler guy.... it’s a public forum, so I will refrain from commenting. PM me if you’re considering....

Update  7/7: Morning drive between rain: it’s a tad quieter inside the cabin I think... with all the air around the muffler now, I’m guessing it’s softened the tone a little, which is ok.

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

Well, today I got my baby back.... unfortunately I had to drive straight home, lock her up and go to work, so only had 10mins of cruising to hear and feel the car... Previously, with a 3.6 the sound is a bit deep and more V8-like more than it is mechanical and raspy. But now it’s gone up a tone, which I like. On idle it just purrs now, no distracting noises?... bliss! @Simonk might like it!  There’s also now space behind the muffler to the engine and I can put my fingers between the rear bumper and the muffler... plenty of space for air to circulate and not melt my rear bumper if I drive long & hard. With the single crank pulley it seems to rev a bit easier too, I think...and the sound when I blip it, me likey!!

but handling and performance has changed too... the air con was removed. Stu said (get this folks) nearly 100 kgs of stuff out.  what the...? I didn’t realise there was so much weight to be gained. Would have done this sooner.  The car feels noticeably different! A good different. I’ll need to drive more to really feel this. With this beast out I can look at a centre console delete and move the passenger footrest back. Next project in the wings!!

Got home, engine warming and not a rattle to be heard, thank friggen god!! The neighbours will also be happy. Me so happy. Hopefully it stays that way after a good drive...

As for muffler guy.... it’s a public forum, so I will refrain from commenting. PM me if you’re considering....

Cheers Phil, one happy chappy. I'm a big advocate for putting a hot rod on a diet, 100kgs is substantial. Carpets next :ph34r: Will like to hear it next SMT

Went for a couple of little squirts around the block today between rains, noticed it seems to be a bit quieter in the cabin when cruising. More civil. Maybe the air space around the muffler (now that it has some)  provides a slight dampening effect to the sound.Outside it’s great but it kinda feels strange hearing it idle with no distractions...up till now I haven’t been able to get out of the car and feel ok leaving the engine running, & just stand at the back & enjoy the sound of it idling - boy, that sound it’s like music! It’s not a mechanical & raspy, it’s a 3.6 so it has some meat to it, a deeper warbly sound, boy it’s good... must get an audio of it.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Philbee said:

Oh no, turned the heater on, went for a cruise and the car slowly filled with exhaust. Not good, especially in winter in melbourne.

Car's booked in for a another look.  ?

Might be time for a second opinion, it shouldn't be that difficult.