Exhaust Upgrade for a Hotrod

Philbee

• 1 month later...

Well, last weekend went for a SMT run to Marysville. There was actually a bit of snow roadside near the lake mountain turnoff (yes, a bit fresh) ...sorry I digress, my custom hand crafted sports muffler which has been giving me grief all these months (what grief, you ask? Look up), finally just decided to give it up. It started to  rattle all the time (all the time!) and ferociously went at speed. Decided, enough tinkering. That sucker, even though has cost me plenty of spondoolahs (thanks for nothing PS), is coming out! 

Picked up the car tonight  with a replacement second hand “test” muffler installed, compliments of Stu at nineauto. Took it straight home & sounded pretty good, just Goode olde  p-car sound. It’s a bit quieter (tamer) but sounds of silence is music to my rattle affected ears ....Ill need to give  it a run or 2 tosee how it hangs on. Here’s hoping....

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a decent drive this morning.... tested out the ‘test’ muffler. Hey presto, no rattles! Just idles quietly after an hour of whizzing around the dandenongs.  Gee it feels good pulling up next to a civilian and not getting a weird stare cos my car is making more noise than a tin of marbles falling down a drainpipe.

Although, the slight loss is a bit more sedate, a softer growl & no more pops and crackles on deceleration or down changes. I’m ok with that....   for now. ?

heres a sneak peek:

Test muff

• 3 months later...

I'm resurrecting this post/thread cos.... well, um... its my thread!  And I've just booked the car in with Stu at Nineauto for a muffler... re-condition, sports enhancement! As I mentioned previously, it was a 'test muffler' of sorts, fairly stock. and I said this:

Although, the slight loss is a bit more sedate, a softer growl & no more pops and crackles on deceleration or down changes. I’m ok with that....   for now. ?

So, "now" has come fellow hotrodders.... need more noise and hopefully with a return of a crackle & pop or 2 and the obligatory waking of thy neighbours on a sunday morning!! Its a month or 2 off before the work commences but I'm excited already.  Stu's gonna weave some magic and clear out the internal pipes, baffles, bring back some soun'd and clean up the rough end .

Yeah!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 16:14, LeeM said:

Ask @Stew F which one he has in his SC. I drove his car last weekend and it sounds fanf.....gtastic! Crackles n pops too

It's a Magnaflow stainless sports muffler, 1 x 2-1/2" in, 2 x 2" out, with a 2-1/2" straight through pipe from the junction of the headers to the muffler.  Around 5 Kpa back pressure measured at the O2 sensor port.  It's loud, obnoxious, sounds angry, and I love it.

2 hours ago, Stew F said:

It's a Magnaflow stainless sports muffler, 1 x 2-1/2" in, 2 x 2" out, with a 2-1/2" straight through pipe from the junction of the headers to the muffler.  Around 5 Kpa back pressure measured at the O2 sensor port.  It's loud, obnoxious, sounds angry, and I love it.

Sounds great, Stew. That’s what I’m looking to edge back towards as well - 3 key criteria, loud, angry, obnoxious! 😀 How does it look from  behind? I mean some magnaflows are short in length peeking below the rear valance and imo don’t look as good as the std hotdog box that goes right across. Pic?

Also, the straight through pipe is probably where your extra growl kicks in too... I have a sports cat b/n headers and muffler.

Edited by Philbee
Straight thru pipe

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Sounds great, Stew. That’s what I’m looking to edge back towards as well - 3 key criteria, loud, angry, obnoxious! 😀 How does it look from  behind? I mean some magnaflows are short in length peeking below the rear valance and imo don’t look as good as the std hotdog box that goes right across. Pic?

With the rear valance panel on it looks less conspicuous.  I'm going to change it to twin pipes straight out the back at some stage.

20181228_155011.thumb.jpg.0fdfeb733f8c6d011e9ab63df8c7e269.jpg

Here's a couple of vid's with the noise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br7ALbGlQJLd0htu6Y4Yl4FdncqUJ0FqpuKtVE0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=q4fn863albng

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br7AdaTlWcEz2Y6e9JFXkSz1ADc009KTHD9Hzk0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=18uxk5eco483a

14 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Geezus Lee... !!! That’d definitely wake the dead.... and my neighbours would get me arrested... 😁

😄

I fitted some packing after this video to quieten them down a bit, as it was bloody loud without (just ask Sal as he has some), though my neighbour was an asshole, so I didn't really care too much 😁 I will be fitting them again when I can have some baffling made up to keep them a bit quieter, as I love the look of them 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2018 at 14:08, Philbee said:

I'm resurrecting this post/thread cos.... well, um... its my thread!  And I've just booked the car in with Stu at Nineauto for a muffler... re-condition, sports enhancement! As I mentioned previously, it was a 'test muffler' of sorts, fairly stock. and I said this:

So, "now" has come fellow hotrodders.... need more noise and hopefully with a return of a crackle & pop or 2 and the obligatory waking of thy neighbours on a sunday morning!! Its a month or 2 off before the work commences but I'm excited already.  Stu's gonna weave some magic and clear out the internal pipes, baffles, bring back some soun'd and clean up the rough end .

Yeah!

The time is nigh.... going in tomorrow for muffler scrape and cleanup! Excited... 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Car is back!  

I have good news and bad news. The good bit is the sound is back. At midrange blast, the air escapes nice & quick,  the car breathes  so much better . A few horses have returned! Also, the sound is deeper and growlier (is that a word?)... so happy with this too as it was a little sedate as I mentioned before. At idle and crawling past the neighbours, it doesnt seem to ruffle the feathers either I think, so thats pretty good. But if you blip the pedal, it growls up and back much louder, quicker, a more responsive pedal. All good - winning on that front. I will attempt to load some sound bites soon.

And... I even have a further upgrade path:  We got talking about the 100cell sports cat I added awhile back. Hmmm, could drop that puppy on ebay and go a bypass - zero cells!!   Good to have options right? 

The bad bit is... its not exactly what i was hoping for visually. Im paying big bucks so my expectation was on the high side.  Although 80% of it you cant see anyway. But you know what its like, you just know its there so it annoys you just enough to be on your mind. ....  The saga continues (just a little )  Im  afraid....

Intersting thread. Here is the exhaust I have been experimenting with...

Dynomax 17231 with internal crossover (google it for images).

Was recommended by William Knight in the usa.. he hadn't used it himself but we thought it would work out.. and I was willing to experiment. My engine is a 3.0 with cams, compression, and itbs. The airflow as seen from my VE numbers in the tune is quite high, however I am experimenting some resonance around 2400rpm.. it presents itself as a "flat spot" and the VE numbers are very low. PLus the engine vibrates a little around that RPM point.  I opened the muffler to see that the crossover was not 100% perfect so I had it welded up. It made the car smoother and reduced the vibration, but it still was not a great match for my motor. 

I have another style to go on later this week.

q9wmiS4.jpg

ifwmiYf.jpg

Y7F4LBn.jpgMvSstCt.jpg

JHtKWLb.jpg

• 2 months later...

You know what, this thread is not dead. 💐R I P 💐

After all the investment of my hard earned and time on my muffler it’s still not 100% in my book. Performance wise, it’s ok & it sounds pretty good too now. But for my car, because of its looks, it needs 3elements whenever I touch it, ie. when the mechanic does their thing, performance, quality, visual appeal. The cars not a dirty rally mongrel, it’s kinda clean & presentable... so all work needs to maintain and upgrade where possible that clean good look. Even the bits ya can’t see so much! Because I know it’s there.

so, my muffler (the exhaust), it has 2of the 3 key elements ok  but the final one, how it looks, it fails. It looks like a bastard mongrel under there now.... not what I want. When funds and time become avail, I’ll post some before and after shots and an update. Yes, there’s an upgrade project in the wings.

The story continues.... 

No, there’ll be no tartan involved! 😋

• 1 year later...