Porsche 928 Bang for Buck

I had a shower thought about would a 928 be an effective 911 replacement when children's legs have done their growing thing.  Or is the 928 rear seat just as dire as the 911?

whatever, I guess you can alway just take one at a time.

I had a shower thought about would a 928 be an effective 911 replacement when children's legs have done their growing thing.  Or is the 928 rear seat just as dire as the 911?

Having both, I'd say they're equally as "spacious" in the rear.  Maybe a bee's more in the 928.

I love the 928's - I had a "machine men" toy of a 928 as a kid (pre -Transformers) and a poster of a black 928 on my wall (it was a real 80's one with graphic splashes and a grid behind it)- along with a poster of a white Countach and an AC cobra. 

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/295971006743541173/  (Machine men aka Gobots) 

These stories often seem to be filler with little effort to be factual.  Take 10 minutes to fill some internet space and collect ya cash.  Ok, if you don't mind a bit of fiction with the pictures.

Call me an anorak but there were a few cars before the 928 that had urethane bumpers. For example:  '68 GTO, '73 Corvette, early 70's Renault 5's suggests the author is not credible.  Oh, how can I forget Jim Rockford's early '70's Firebird as well.

The Testarossa comparison was a bit of a long bow too.

Did like the photos though Diamond!  

I've said it before and I'll say it again, do yourself a favour and get into one of these beasts.

At the track day, I got so much more interest in the GTS than the 911 despite the obnoxious nature of the latter.

Sounds awesome, pulls like a freight train, sticks like sh!t and goes good sideways. It looks fantastic and is ridiculously comfortable and makes you want to do bad things.

I keep saying it, for the money, they're really hard to go past.

But you need a 911 as well.

And @Fraz managed to fit in the back seat - it does help that he's double jointed, an ex-contortionist, 4'3" tall and 35kg.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, do yourself a favour and get into one of these beasts.

At the track day, I got so much more interest in the GTS than the 911 despite the obnoxious nature of the latter.

Sounds awesome, pulls like a freight train, sticks like sh!t and goes good sideways. It looks fantastic and is ridiculously comfortable and makes you want to do bad things.

And @Fraz managed to fit in the back seat - it does help that he's double jointed, an ex-contortionist, 4'3" tall and 35kg.

HAAY!! :D

Yoga helps too.

Strictly speaking , the auto trans were Daimler-Benz not Mercedes-Benz as the happy millenial thus stated.

Oh , and you're an anorak  ;)

Well.... they actually have Mercedes Benz stamped on the side of them......

It is a well known fact amongst owners how great these are the rest are oblivious :D

For a little bit more of off topic but still a little bit relevant history.... Daimler-Benz was the owner of Mercedes Benz up until the "merger" with Chrysler, after that they are simply called Daimler AG, but still the owners of Mercedes Benz :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1985-porsche-928s-road-test-review

Oh dear what has this thread started.....

I have a book simply called "Porsche 928" it has pretty much every road test of the day on the 928 with plenty of comparison tests thrown in, not one has a Testarossa.....

Early on mostly compared to Aston Martin V8, Jag XJS, Merc SLC, BMW 635, Maserati Khamsin, later with the Aston Martin Virage, Ferrari Mondial, Jag XJS still and the Merc SEC and does more than favourable with most :)

Wasn't the Mondial more of a 911 competitor?

really interesting car, the Mondial.  It gets hate from many quarters but in reality it is a stretched 308 with back seats. Same engine though a bit heavier - all old ferraris are embarrassingly slow by modern standards anyway.

never been a mid engine 4 seater before or since, I believe.

i would have thought the SEC, XJS, AM V8 and 635 were kind of 928 competitors, more so than the testarossa.  You can't lump a 2 seater mid engine 12 cyl in the same bucket as a 8 cyl GT layout, no matter how close the performance.

Anyway I would have a 928 except for the cash and garage space and time.  Some of you have it better :)

"Grab your transaxle Porsche before it's too late!" says the utterly unbiased and completely objective Andy Prill in this Classic Driver article.

Sure, the transaxle Porsches are affordable at the moment, but collectors are slowly waking up to these cars. I recently visited a collector on the Continent, and he has already added around 60 transaxle cars to his already considerable stable of Porsches.

Archived