Insurance options

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for posting that Murf. Really interesting. I am not a member of PCV anymore after 10 years of membership as I just wasnt getting any value out of the renewal each year. I will be interested to hear what transpires from this.

Chris

Doish, here is the link to the RTA which may be helful.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vehiclesheet/historic_vehicle_clubs_policy.pdf

Unfortunately it appears that in NSW you can only register a car on 'conditional' registration if you are using it specifically for club events. As yours is more of a daily driver this wouldn't be suitable. Sounds like we need to move down to VIC to get lower rego costs for classic cars!

It definitely is. LSV appear to be reducing their portfolio of insurance especially on our sort of cars. Check before you renew. Others will fill the gap, and there may be something special for Porsche owners in the wind.Stay tuned.

I've had a fleet of cars with Lumleys that have been insured by them long before they became Lumleys. It is fair to say that I've been with them longer than they have been with themselves as I was with two previous companies that either were taken over or morphed into Lumleys. There are usually 8 or 10 cars in my collection, and over about 15 years of rather large premiums, I've claimed one windscreen for my 911. That's it.

With a collection of cars, it is difficult to drive more than one at a time, so most of the time, most of the cars are not used. The biggest risk is a flat battery and I have that covered with battery conditioners . . . .

The day before yesterday, I had a call from Lumleys to tell me that my renewal is coming up in September, and that this is a courtesy call as they will not renew my policy. "What a crock of Sh1t," says I, "let me talk to your leader." Yesterday, the supervisor called to confirm that they are changing their underwriting model. "That's fine" I told them, "I will tell my friends and colleagues in the Porsche Club, Bentley Drivers Club, Vintage Sports Car Club, MG Car Club, Club Lotus, Historic Racing Car Register, and some of the others that I can't think of at the moment."

"Oh, " Says supervisor, "I shall let my management know".

Fellows, I don't know why Lumleys are still advertising in the various club magazines because it is clear from the comments preceding mine, and my first hand experience, they don't like us any more. I don't care about their withdrawing from our market, but with reduced competition, watch your cost of insurance to make sure it does not start to climb.

Guest Nick987

I've had a fleet of cars with Lumleys...

You know it might be time some enterprising young/wise upstart grouped all their pals together and spread the word through all the interwebs and got a mass groundswell of fellow upstarts together to approach an underwriter to make a tailored product just for said upstart and friends very much how bendigo bank garner support before opening branches.

No offence but I don't think these clubs and forums are populated by uneducated dole bludgers. Anyone know about insurance want to start a conversation about how we get our own insurance made? I am keen to pursue with a little assistance and guidance, happy to spearhead the venture and from the sounds of things there are many in the same boat...

Guest Nick987

So I am thinking...

Why not insure the driver instead of the vehicle? Irrespective of how many cars they have. Can only drive one at a time right?

Wouldn't it be great to be able to hop into a vehicle and not worry about your cover, but know irrespective of what you are driving, damage is covered?

And why not have mix and match options, like, separate cover per vehicle driven, so if a few are garage queens, you only need the theft portion to cover those. Say some are knockabouts, you only tick the 3rd party damage for those. And often driven P&J's get the full comp tick on the option list.

Choose from windscreens, hire cars, accommodation, choice of repairer or not, towage/salvage etc. Each option is selectable.

Imagine being able to insure the motor (IMS anyone?), gearbox etc.

Why not track work?

I know a few of these suggestions are pie in the sky and there are good economic reasons why they aren't possible and sound naive. And an actuary would laugh at them but, I am trying to think outside the box here and ask 'why not'?

This thread is showing me we are all frustrated and feel ripped off and no one out there is listening and we just have to grin through gritted teeth and chew the shit sandwich every year while the asshats making the policies laugh on an ever growing Croesus pile of profit from us.

I know, to aggregate enough buyers is a lucrative venture in itself. If we didn't have to provide a profit, and a huge bureaucracy, we could get insurance for a lot less than we pay now.

I know it is all risk and money in the end, but I also know with enough numbers behind this we have a compelling case to put to an insurance maker.

Or could be a different model altogether...

Can be a co-op. Can be a club. Limited liability company. Can be a straight out product. Can be an exclusive pool of funds managed like a body corporate. If no one makes a claim in the year, the following year, no premiums need be paid...

Why are we straightjacketed into the one way when enough people can tribe together to tailor something ideal for the group?

Sydr, sounds like you are in with a number of forums. Could be, if we all looked, we could find thousands or tens of thousands of people that resonate with this. That is a compelling market segment, and economies of scale can produce something unique.

My thinking, the broad strokes, is that enough people suggest their requirements, we compile a wishlist, get a petition of names together, find someone who can quote on it if a traditional product or find people qualified to assist on the creation of the structure required if something different (say a co-op) and quote up a 'policy' or service.

Any thoughts? Or is it all too hard?

Nick - Brilliant suggestion.

Just like Power companies, we could do this for our cars.

We will need a new Forum topic. Put me on the list !!!

I am going to insure my 968 CS next week, so will put your suggestion to the insurance company !

Cheers,Mark.

Great idea Nick. As 9fan suggested above recently there was an advertisement for cheaper electricity prices and all you had to do was register your interest. Then someone went to the different electricity companies and said we have x amount of customers, what can you do for us? I can't remember the exact amount saved but I believe it was substantial. Why should car insurance be any different? When I get my Porsche sign me up.

Nick and others interested (all of us I guess), please have a look at Alex Websters post in NEWS section. Alex is trying to bring together a product that might help us all, given his position in the .market. Suggest you email him any ideas while they are developing their product. I don't have any particular barrow to push here, I'm happy with Shannons, but Nick is right when he says we have market power and ought to use it. You have to wonder what LSV are up to when they made a determined effort to gain a foothold in this market a year or two ago. I would have thought the likes of " us" are a good risk

Cheers

Paul M

Guest Nick987

I'm going to chase every lead. Am formulating a post of intent at the moment to see what we think and invite market makers to offer solutions.

Each forum usually lists the number of members registered. It is a good way to gauge the possible numbers out there. I assume if a person is motivated enough to register and participate in a forum, they have an interest in an insurance policy designed for their particular requirements.

Nowadays with the power of the web and social media like forums etc. we stand in a great position to amalgamate and take it to them.

With a thousand people on board, each throwing in $1000, that is a million bucks. That is enough to get a venture like this up through reinsurance etc.

I don't think finding 5000 people across Australia to take part will be an issue. And if it is, we stay with the crap we have already. Not much to lose here.

Guest Nick987

Nick and others interested (all of us I guess), please have a look at Alex Websters post in NEWS section. Alex is trying to bring together a product that might help us all, given his position in the .market. Suggest you email him any ideas while they are developing their product. I don't have any particular barrow to push here, I'm happy with Shannons, but Nick is right when he says we have market power and ought to use it. You have to wonder what LSV are up to when they made a determined effort to gain a foothold in this market a year or two ago. I would have thought the likes of " us" are a good risk

Cheers

Paul M

Thanks Paul, read his post. Will be very interested to see what he can offer. I am in the same boat with everyone else, use mine as a daily driver so am paying more than some of you guys on club and infrequent use policies, so really want to see some price discounting here.

Hi guys,

Just found this thread over here. As already mentioned we are trying to modify the products offered Porsche Insurance towards better catering for ALL Porsche owners, including all types of drivers who use their cars everyday, to those using them a couple of times each month.

See the other postings on this forum :

I must stress that this new part of the Porsche Insurance business is in the development phase, and the offers and benefits are still being finalized.

However, given my experience both personally and professionally in the industry, I am more than happy to help anyone out and answer any questions where I can give an informed answer.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know that given all the noise going on with LSV insurance at the moment and Alex's offer to help out with some insurance products. I have been in discussion with Alex and Joe from Porsche Insurance and they have been able to come up with what I consider to be a good option for me for Insurance. Paying today so just thought I would let you know and if you are looking at present then give them an opportunity to see what they can come up with for you.

Cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...

It won't be long now before my 996 is exported from the UK to NSW, so I have been researching the insurance options. As it happens I independently discovered the insurance product which Alex links to. I havent pulled the trigger on the insurance yet as I need to get my car there and complete the compliance/registration process but my dealings with my POC have been good.

For what it is worth as a point of reference in terms of realistic insurance features, my UK insurance allows for regular/daily use, choice of repairer, unlimited track days (UK&Europe), free windscreen for $1150 AUD, my first policy without track day cover cost $780AUD. Both policies were for an agreed value, 40+, Rating 1, garaged.

So far I have had the following responses to Insurance in NSW for a 99 996, weekend use, garage 40+, rating 1

GIO $2960

Shannons $1617

AAMI - cover not available

LSV - awaiting response

Allianz - cover not available

Porsche financial services - $1658

There was one other company that also quoted around 1600 but I forgot to make a note of who it was at the time.

Try Suncorp insurance,

l am with them and offer a pretty sharp deal with choice of repairer.

I just looked at Suncorp and their quote system came to a halt when I ticked the box that said >$3000 worth of modifications.

The Suncorp website subsequently directed me to "Just car Insurance" which came to a halt when I ticked the 1st two boxes that identified the car as a 99 Porsche. Then I noticed they are underwritten by AAMI so no surprises that they dont offer cover for my car.

Archived