Building a garage in Bronte

turboT

With the Stacker in Paddington, done and hopefully sold in the next month, its time to think about building a new garage on a small block of land I just purchased near the beach. This time fully enclosed and with a whole house attached! Going to be a long process, but today I received the first preliminary sketches so a good place to start the journey. The existing house is a shocker so will be pulled down as soon as we are permitted. The land is small at 230sqm, and has a pretty crazy slope to it. But location is amazing. This one is going to be fun.

147623501312490875-rsd_zpsu7l3ed7y.jpg

IMG_8302_zpsn6ibrguk.jpg

IMG_8226_zpsb30zhf2o.jpg

And today's sketches.

170223_option02_02_zpsucba4z1s.jpg

170223_option02_03_zpsooj2bc5y.jpg

170223_option02_01%202_zpsesekylo1.jpg

yep he could certainly build his own bat cave or thunder bird hid out ...........this one is below street level and has two stories on top of it ,,,,,,,,kinda cool ,,, has its own four post hoist for servicing ..Biggest issue with these is possible flooding ,,,this one has large deep commercial grate drains at he lower end of the drive and the garage floor slopes like a funnel into the central drainage pit with retention under the slab ,,,due to the nature of the block the overflows for the retention had natural falls away from the dwelling ...

1412345416217_wps_11_3_Towers_Road_TOORA

Edited by Raven

I worked with an architect many years ago that used to present SHIT design and mask it with fake foliage.  Distract the observer from the poor solution.

most architects produce good gear though.  In fact, 3 of @hugh's designs we've built have delivered us more Facebook likes than any of our in house work ?  Maybe he mobilised the PFA community? This is the current favourite:

Like! BUT where are the sketches that count? the garage ones.... 

essentially the whole ground floor. Council will permit two cars, but we might install one of those walls that tend to fall over after inspections revealing the 'rumpus room' with car washing facilities...

235E51E1-EA20-4A77-BBC7-2715CD34B160_zps

Edited by turboT

to live....but thats what i said about the last one. Will be hard to top the location though

the salt might get to you!

ps - just flicking through the Wentworth Courier and see a certain Paddington terrace is "House of the Week"!

Edited by D2000

I worked with an architect many years ago that used to present SHIT design and mask it with fake foliage.  Distract the observer from the poor solution.

There will always be somebody who lets the side down.;) Funny thing is, the fake foliage is not to hide poor solutions, because an architect never designs something they think is poor. They design to the best of their ability and they think the fake foliage makes for a better representation. Th fake foliage is an outward manifestation of their ability. While you get "average" architects who are good at representing their work, which does cover up "sins", it is very rare to find a good architect that is bad at representing their work. While it is a big generalisation, if you think an architects representations of his/her work look poor, the chances are what lies behind it is also poor.

essentially the whole ground floor. Council will permit two cars, but we might install one of those walls that tend to fall over after inspections revealing the 'rumpus room' with car washing facilities...

235E51E1-EA20-4A77-BBC7-2715CD34B160_zps

Most councils these days prefer of street parking ,,,I would think something likes this would not be a drama with them and prefered  ..........I would work with a private certifier on a build of this nature ,much better than council and he has your interests in mind unlike councils ...

With good reason, it's a stunning looking house. Showed it to MrsMike last night as it has many of the details we like, she loved it.

I of course disapproved, as it doesn't have a big enough garage :lol::ph34r: 

In fact, 3 of @hugh's designs we've built have delivered us more Facebook likes than any of our in house work ?  Maybe he mobilised the PFA community? This is the current favourite:

Having recently built a 200m^2 daylight basement and not having hit rock, and knowing exactly what that cost to build in an open site I'd put a multiple of 3 times on it for this site. That's a scary big number.

I'll be watching with interest.

Kevin McCloud said on one show every unexpected cubic metre of stone to be removed equalled $1500 pounds and if water problems are struck amongst it, triple it ... Give ya $75,000 pound for Magnus mobile!