Building a garage in Bronte

turboT

Is the lady pointing to that space and saying "Why not park the car there ?" 

ps. Time to update the architectural line art cars to include an air cooled 911 surely

I think she's pointing at the incoming rain that Sydney is famous for.  I thought one of the problems with the current car space is exposure to the elements.  Bronte will add a salty flavour to the mix.  

Would rather have a garage I can actually work on my car thanks. A tilt ramp to roll it out? 'Thunderbirrrrrds are go!' ;) 

in the Thai architect one, i assume when raised to the living level it's a showpiece in glass with no distractions, when lowered it's among the tools and oil stains. At least that's what i'm fantasizing about now.

• 2 weeks later...

Basement garage ... car lift. Footprint you lose on B1 is gained on G in living space. Is it crucial that the cars have views, or that you have views when you're working on them?

Re: lift, if you can work it in go full height from B2 to L2. 5 level homes with lift access is a no brainer. Huge selling point.

Love the concept.

No doubt you have already thought of this, but you may want to look into some type of exhaust gas alarm or automatic ventilation systems. There has been some very tragic situations where cars have been left running in houses with basement garages.

I have done it myself, accidentally left my ute running in the driveway for three hours after being distracted by a phone call.

Anzac day mullings.

Maximizing every square inch we are trying to create a better connection to the lowest part of the property. Will probably end up being a granny flat of some kind, but a lift to the garage cant hurt...

FullSizeRender_zpso6hmvlz6.jpg

This is getting tricky T... Could you keep the garage floor level and sacrifice a bit of head height in the view garage?

Is that a passenger lift in the middle? If so send it to the top floor too?

Good to see some consideration of acoustics. So often acoustic comfort is forgotten as part of the mix for interior comfort. Light, air, aesthetic, temperature,  spatial, and acoustic quality all add up.

Agree with above, only consider that for structure borne sound you want to deal with it at the source if possible, otherwise it will travel right through the whole house. Isolating the surface in contact with the noise is the way to go if you can. But may not be a huge problem for occasional use, unless you plan to leave the stone spitter idling in there for long periods?...

This is getting tricky T... Could you keep the garage floor level and sacrifice a bit of head height in the view garage?

Is that a passenger lift in the middle? If so send it to the top floor too?

Agree with above, only consider that for structure borne sound you want to deal with it at the source if possible, otherwise it will travel right through the whole house. Isolating the surface in contact with the noise is the way to go if you can. But may not be a huge problem for occasional use, unless you plan to leave the stone spitter idling in there for long periods?...

Tricky yes. The issue is I am trying to reduce excavation costs and work as much as possible with the existing land. This pushes everything to the rear of the block where we have the main living spaces and views. This means taking the lift any higher is problematic as grandma is going to exit ,all  dressed for a bit of  swimming, right in the lounge room...

Today we figured out how to keep the garage floor level by taking the entry point to the garage further under the house and we make 2.1m in the parking spot with a view. I could give this up  and turn into a bedroom,but it would only be big enough for  one kid and we are trying to keep them both together. We need a minimum of 2.6m from the slab of the garage floor to the floor above to allow for the header to the lift

Acoustics is top of mind. I will be looking for an engineer to help, but the parking with a view spot will really only be used for extra storage so I don't see cars being started if anyone is sleeping bellow. Thoughts are to line the walls/ceilings with acoustic paneling and create a ceiling void bellow. Then just get the kids some cute earmuffs or something ;) 

Got to make that lift work all the way.  We have a few townhouse projects on the go and we're getting enquiry from buyers expecting lifts in a $1M 2 storey townhouses (even when living and master bed are on the ground floor!) 

YOTL.

In 5 levels I reckon lift is a must come resale time.

Tricky yes. The issue is I am trying to reduce excavation costs and work as much as possible with the existing land. This pushes everything to the rear of the block where we have the main living spaces and views. This means taking the lift any higher is problematic as grandma is going to exit ,all  dressed for a bit of  swimming, right in the lounge room...

Today we figured out how to keep the garage floor level by taking the entry point to the garage further under the house and we make 2.1m in the parking spot with a view. I could give this up  and turn into a bedroom,but it would only be big enough for  one kid and we are trying to keep them both together. We need a minimum of 2.6m from the slab of the garage floor to the floor above to allow for the header to the lift

Acoustics is top of mind. I will be looking for an engineer to help, but the parking with a view spot will really only be used for extra storage so I don't see cars being started if anyone is sleeping bellow. Thoughts are to line the walls/ceilings with acoustic paneling and create a ceiling void bellow. Then just get the kids some cute earmuffs or something ;) 

Who are you getting the lift through? The mob that are doing my lift got it down to 2.3m.

lift issue sorted. We were going to have to excavate for the stairs anyway so decided to move it to the front of  the house where we can now also reach one of the upper floors.

Cant afford any of this shit, but fun planning :huh:

lift_zpsozdpebyr.jpg

Who are you getting the lift through? The mob that are doing my lift got it down to 2.3m.

haven't got that far yet, but moving it now solves all issues + we get the bonus of a big service shaft connecting all floors

• 3 weeks later...

@turboT perhaps your next move is back through the Heads to knock over that Tuscan pink shitter that has views over Rose Bay and put something more appropriate in it's place!   On second thoughts open water views are a knock out. 

Good to see your hard work is paying off.