Raceking Race Car Trailers

Apogee

I am picking up my new Audi SQ5 tomorrow and will be using it to tow my Boxster Spyder so, I'll need to get a trailer or rent one. 

Does anyone here own one or have any experience with these trailers?

The gallery of photos on the website shows a couple of P cars, so I'm hoping that their owners are members on the forum.

http://www.raceking.com.au/index.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue GT3 is my old car.. the trailer is very good but the biggest problem is you can't tow it around with no weight on it. If you don't have a car on the trailer it bounces around like crazy due to not having springs, you end up driving at 40kph or below 

Other than that its very good & well built.

The blue GT3 is my old car.. the trailer is very good but the biggest problem is you can't tow it around with no weight on it. If you don't have a car on the trailer it bounces around like crazy due to not having springs, you end up driving at 40kph or below 

Other than that its very good & well built.

Thanks James. 

Good to know about not being able to tow it w/o a car on top. I've also been reading other forums where they say that trailers having only one set of wheels makes it prone to overturning if a tyre blows. They says that it is better to have tandem sets wheels for redundancy.

I have one of these, works a treat, good price, tows well empty or loaded.

http://www.triktrailers.com.au/racers-choice-car-trailers/

that race king thi g looks light but to my eye too flimsy looking and single axle is not ideal safety wise unless car is very light. And yes, I know, probably should be loaded backwards....but towed great anyway.

A46A24C9-3434-4ACA-BD1F-28317B5C42A2.jpg

I have one of these, works a treat, good price, tows well empty or loaded.

http://www.triktrailers.com.au/racers-choice-car-trailers/

that race king thi g looks light but to my eye too flimsy looking and single axle is not ideal safety wise unless car is very light. And yes, I know, probably should be loaded backwards....but towed great anyway.

A46A24C9-3434-4ACA-BD1F-28317B5C42A2.jpg

Thanks DJM,

How hard is it to load the car? I have never done so before and I am a bit apprehensive using loading ramps. 

I'll also need one that is low enough so that I can store it in the garage with the car loaded. My building's garage ceiling is not very high.

I have had a Raceking for a few years now. Had another single axle trailer before that. I need a small light trailer that is easy to move around and store. A dual axle trailer is just to big and cumbersome for me.

Because it is relatively small and drops almost flat to the ground, I can keep it in the garage and push the car on and off it - saves me having to find a place to store the trailer separately.

Tows great when loaded, bounces great when empty but have towed it over 70 kms empty at 100km/h several times to collect my car. Have to watch out for potholes, large bumps and rough roads and slow down a bit.

Rob

If your looking for something a bit more substantial with more storage, i had this custom built in Melbourne.

It tilts to a very low approach angle for a big trailer rated to 3.5t, carries 8-12 wheels and lots of room for jacks/tools and big enough to fit a whole front bar/splitter, or double as accomodation if your desperate!

He does lightweight dual tilts or air suspension versions as well.

https://www.facebook.com/BaillieIndustries/

%5BURL=http://s284.photobucket.com/user/darienherreen/media/E1C0961B-EB40-4A5D-BFEF-B8695959BD05_zpsuqkegrm2.jpg.html]E1C0961B-EB40-4A5D-BFEF-B8695959BD05_zps

If your looking for something a bit more substantial with more storage, i had this custom built in Melbourne.

It tilts to a very low approach angle for a big trailer rated to 3.5t, carries 8-12 wheels and lots of room for jacks/tools and big enough to fit a whole front bar/splitter, or double as accomodation if your desperate!

He does lightweight dual tilts or air suspension versions as well.

%5BURL=http://s284.photobucket.com/user/darienherreen/media/E1C0961B-EB40-4A5D-BFEF-B8695959BD05_zpsuqkegrm2.jpg.html]E1C0961B-EB40-4A5D-BFEF-B8695959BD05_zps

Thanks DHE, It looks very nice. But I only have a 2400kg max towing capacity so much have to get a cut down/lighter version. 

I you don't mind me asking, how much did that one cost you?

Slightly off topic but I thought a 911 should be loaded on backwards (engine to the front of the trailer) due to weight distribution to avoid the death wobble, I know from personal experience loading a front engine car backwards does not end well.

Sorry if it's a stuipid question, it's just both cars above are loaded engine to the rear of the trailer.

With the light weight trailers without springs just remember that the tyres are your suspension.  If the trailer is empty you can let a lot of the air pressure out of the tyres and it will tow much smoother.  Obviously you'll want to keep a small 12v compressor with the trailer so you can air up before putting a car on the trailer.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with this style of trailer but I did tow one from Sydney to Brisbane to pick up a car for a mate and it was a drive straight there after work on Friday arrive first thing Saturday morning, pick up the car and drive straight back to Sydney.  Adjusting the air pressure made it go from a menace to something you didn't notice was there at "decent speeds".

Thanks DHE, It looks very nice. But I only have a 2400kg max towing capacity so much have to get a cut down/lighter version. 

I you don't mind me asking, how much did that one cost you?

less than 10k.... but it has everything i needed, low approach angle, roller rocker suspension, good electric brakes, remote winch, low guards so you can open the door, storage etc etc

Slightly off topic but I thought a 911 should be loaded on backwards (engine to the front of the trailer) due to weight distribution to avoid the death wobble, I know from personal experience loading a front engine car backwards does not end well.

Sorry if it's a stuipid question, it's just both cars above are loaded engine to the rear of the trailer.

Not if its designed to take a 911, typically you will see the wheels set further back, also makes it tow nice.

As someone said earlier, get decent suspension. Don't try save money in the suspension and brakes department !

Not a hard n fast rule.  Important thing is that weight distribution is taken into account and that all up it more to the front than rear.

Eg DJM's car is actually a fair way forward relative to trailer axles, which are set a fair way back on this trailer, plus with racks, spare wheels loaded, jerry cans etc it could be bang on perfect.

That black car/black trailer has a shed load of weight to the front too.

More a thing to consider when you just slap a 911 you just picked up on gumtree at midnight on the servo hire trailer and drive off without a thought. 

Of course a transaxle car you just park perfectly in the middle of the trailer axle, plus or minus 1% B)

What do you guys think of this?

http://futuratrailers.com/tandem

I have spoken to Glen the owner of the business and think I'll pull the trigger once I find a race car. It seems about the best solution all round on the market for a loner like myself who goes to the track solo. Easy to use but not cheap if you add bits like wheel rack, stone gaurd, winch etc etc. I like the idea of the raceking trailer you posted as it's relatively cheap and looks easy to use. Smaller trailer suits my storage needs a little better as well but I'm not keen on towing a GT3 Cup with single axle. Do they offer a wheel rack option?

I have spoken to Glen the owner of the business and think I'll pull the trigger once I find a race car. It seems about the best solution all round on the market for a loner like myself who goes to the track solo. Easy to use but not cheap if you add bits like wheel rack, stone gaurd, winch etc etc. I like the idea of the raceking trailer you posted as it's relatively cheap and looks easy to use. Smaller trailer suits my storage needs a little better as well but I'm not keen on towing a GT3 Cup with single axle. Do they offer a wheel rack option?

I don't know. Might have to message the owner of RaceKing.

I found online, a local and cheaper option to the futura trailers called Tiltatrailer in QLD. Their tandem trailers start at $6500 up to $7700 for the punched floor version.

http://www.tiltatrailer.com.au/trailers/trailer-models/tandem-trailer/

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tilta-Trailer-car-trailer-for-race-car-or-motorhomes-/172550282038?hash=item282ccc5b36%3Am%3Am0CuewR-WNotttYa76BoXsw

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-floor-Tilta-Trailer-for-race-car-or-show-car-or-plant-trailer-/172550282104?hash=item282ccc5b78%3Am%3Am_n28lE6mJVS3248TftndzA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Punched-floor-Tandem-Tilta-Car-Trailer-for-race-car-or-show-car-or-plant-trailer-/172550281889?hash=item282ccc5aa1%3Am%3Am2DQVtV4VDAUTzXf7njg3KA

I have a custom built Dean brand trailer that is available.

It was built for towing a 911 behind a motor home and was hot dipped, has electric braking (with runaway protection), and built in ramps that slide out. It also has a stone guard and tie-downs on each corner.

It was also designed for the car to be backed on, so that the majority of the towed mass was as close to the towing vehicle as possible, which makes the whole 'train' more stable.

If there's any interest, I'll get some photos organised and dimensions taken.

Titla are also very good, a mate has one for his cup and loves it. He said he would have got the futura if it was out when he bought. I think it was close to 10K with a few options.

Thanks DJM,

How hard is it to load the car? I have never done so before and I am a bit apprehensive using loading ramps. 

I'll also need one that is low enough so that I can store it in the garage with the car loaded. My building's garage ceiling is not very high.

ummm, you just drop the ramps and drive straight on.  Ratchet clamps over 2 wheels, hooked down to punched floor.  Take 30 seconds to load and 2 minutes to tie down and you're away.  After years of hire trailers this thing is awesome.  

With the GT2 I had to pop the splitter off to prevent it scraping. But with the RX7 race car which is quite low I drive straight up.  To fit in my garage I'd need to get a hinge put in the ramps to fold them over.

all up cost was about $5,500 with 4 Jerry can holders, winch, storage box, LED lights, tyre rack etc.  I then went back and spent $1k or so to add electric brakes (a must when towing a car I reckon).  Great value relative to Nevco and others.

Titla are also very good, a mate has one for his cup and loves it. He said he would have got the futura if it was out when he bought. I think it was close to 10K with a few options.

Did he say why he would have the Futura over the Tilta? The Futura is double to cost of the Tilta.

I have a mate who imports these from the UK.  I can get his contact details if you are interested in exploring other options

Thanks Phil, that would be great.

I have a custom built Dean brand trailer that is available.

It was built for towing a 911 behind a motor home and was hot dipped, has electric braking (with runaway protection), and built in ramps that slide out. It also has a stone guard and tie-downs on each corner.

It was also designed for the car to be backed on, so that the majority of the towed mass was as close to the towing vehicle as possible, which makes the whole 'train' more stable.

If there's any interest, I'll get some photos organised and dimensions taken.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I would prefer one that didn't use ramps like the Tilta and Futura ones. I am afraid of making a mistake and falling off the side. I need it to be idiot proof (emphasis on the idiot - me).

Thanks for the offer, but I think I would prefer one that didn't use ramps like the Tilta and Futura ones. I am afraid of making a mistake and falling off the side. I need it to be idiot proof (emphasis on the idiot - me).

honestly ramps are no issue.  I drive on and off all the time without being guided on. You'd have to be seriously hungover to drive off the side of the ramps.  Even with half a tyre width on, you drive up fine.  

Having said that, those lowering trailers look cool and fail safe but they are 2 to 4 times the price.  And more components to go wrong.  All trailers seem to hold their value though so if you can spare the cash, you'll get it back one day.

Did he say why he would have the Futura over the Tilta? The Futura is double to cost of the Tilta.

He said he would rather have the futura. I am talking about the full flat deck tilta tandem. Where did you get your pricing? It's not on their website. A fully loaded futura is about 13k (wheel rack, stone guard, winch and spare wheel). 

One key difference is the futura is on leaf springs whilst the tilta uses airbags. Is the general consensus that airbags are far superior to leaf springs??

Archived