Raceking Race Car Trailers

Apogee

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/8/2017 at 10:07 AM, StevepGT3 said:

Rode my bike into my race trailer ONCE , instead of pushing as usual, and came a cropper.

Nice work Steve.

Quick question, I'm now in the market for a tow car as my 335i's tow capacity is too low and the Kia is my wife's ride.  I've been toying with the idea of an Amorok, the up coming X series Merc, and even started looking at Rangers and Hiluxs, but I just can't bring myself to drive them as they are so uninspiring to look at both internally and externally and I'm imagining they're a crap drive too.  So I figured a Macan might tick all the right boxes with a 2,400kg tow capacity (braked).  Few more shekels but at least it's a car that's also good when I'm not towing / lugging stuff around.

So the question is how do they tow?  Anyone here used them for towing?

Always thought Macan might be a bit marginal at 2400kg.  Have you considered a Cayenne?   I think 3500.  Apparently you should check nose weight too......?

X5 diesel is a cracking tow car.  I've had 3 of them all 30d.  Tow capacity 2.7T.  Towed cars all over the place.  Last year we hauled a 2T caravan to Alice Springs and back.  Up hills at 110 on cruise control blasting past 4 cyl jap diesels labouring away at 80, toot and wave as you pass. 

Moral of the story is euro 6 cylinder diesel all the way.  X series Merc is a Navara in drag.  Yuk.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 7:20 PM, DJM said:

Always thought Macan might be a bit marginal at 2400kg.  Have you considered a Cayenne?   I think 3500.  Apparently you should check nose weight too......?

X5 diesel is a cracking tow car.  I've had 3 of them all 30d.  Tow capacity 2.7T.  Towed cars all over the place.  Last year we hauled a 2T caravan to Alice Springs and back.  Up hills at 110 on cruise control blasting past 4 cyl jap diesels labouring away at 80, toot and wave as you pass. 

Moral of the story is euro 6 cylinder diesel all the way.  X series Merc is a Navara in drag.  Yuk.

Was yours a e70? Any issues with the gearbox? My SD was always playing up but planning on buying another cheap one now.

I’ve had E53, E70 and now F15, no troubles with any of them, gearbox or otherwise.  The F15 is now 3 years/70,000km old so we’re contemplating trading up again.  But it’s probably worth $65-70k tops so given it’s still in great shape I reckon we’ll hang onto it for a while longer.

Archived